Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Shock replacement

klausman

My XLR/V(s)
2006 laser red XLR
I purchased 4 new shocks for my 2006 recently. I first spoke with my usual mechanic facility to get their agreement on installing my parts. They agreed, I ordered the shocks and took the car in to get repaired. This is when the nightmare I'm currently experiencing started. They called me and explained that these shocks required a special "D" socket to hold the shock shaft in place while tightening the bolt that holds it in place. We are still searching for the right size as I type this.
Has anyone also experienced this?
I'd appreciate comments, Thank you.

I purchased 4 new shocks for my 2006 recently. I first spoke with my usual mechanic facility to get their agreement on installing my parts. They agreed, I ordered the shocks and took the car in to get repaired. This is when the nightmare I'm currently experiencing started. They called me and explained that these shocks required a special "D" socket to hold the shock shaft in place while tightening the bolt that holds it in place. We are still searching for the right size as I type this.
Has anyone also experienced this?
I'd appreciate comments, Thank you.

I bought the OEM DELCO original magnetic shocks from amazon in 2016 and had the local Chevy dealer , since no local Cadillac dealer in my area, they install with no issues! I believe they charged around $70 install for rear set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
almost every shock I have seen has the same top d shaped tool required to hold them .Its a simple tool and has been around for 20 years. I bought a set of different shaped and sizes for about 20 bucks off the tool truck, Beware of a shop that does not have the proper tool. These shocks can easily be destroyed by trying to spin the nut on without holding the shaft with the proper tool. Doing it that way spins the shaft and damages the internals. Not good

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom