Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Adaptive Headlights

shavdog

My XLR/V(s)
1993 Allante
I was looking at a 2006 at a dealer in Leesburg Fl online and I noticed in one of their pictures there was a message.....I asked about it and the sales mgr said the adaptive headlights were converted to fixed, and this message would not be fixed or repaired to original for a buyer....what yr did they add these headlights as an option and are they one of the pains to deal with...thanks...I might have to verify the yr but I think its a2006 with 18k miles on it...at plaza cadillac...thanks

two options .some one micky mouse wired in a set of 04-05 lights into the car .There is no adapter or harness made to do this .The other is one or both of the internal motors have gotten wet and no longer work. 06 lights are noted for the outer lens blowing off .
They start to come unsealed at the front lower lip. You can tell by looking at the outer ring that appears to be a greenish gray color . if it does not look consistent (light spots) in the color then it has a sell loose. Lights could have also been out of a flood car which I have seen a certain dealer who sells lots of XLR parts without telling anyone and they will stop working . They can be fixed . but as long as they are in the proper adjustment its no big deal as 04-05 did not have them and many people don't even realize they are on their cars. The dealer most likely had his guy check on new lights saw you could not get them, then checked on used and saw the price so decided they would sell as is.

I was looking at a 2006 at a dealer in Leesburg Fl online and I noticed in one of their pictures there was a message.....I asked about it and the sales mgr said the adaptive headlights were converted to fixed, and this message would not be fixed or repaired to original for a buyer....what yr did they add these headlights as an option and are they one of the pains to deal with...thanks...I might have to verify the yr but I think its a2006 with 18k miles on it...at plaza cadillac...thanks
I actually bought this car that you're talking about. It is the drivers light. It's the original headlamp, looks and functions like new EXCEPT the motor that controls the adaptive function. It is in a still position, and fortunately, angled just perfectly. I wonder if there's a way to just fix that part without having to replace the whole headlamp? Or, if there's a way to get the computer to stop complaining about it. Right now, I simply hit reset on the instrument cluster and the ODO shows up. BTW - they were a good dealer to work with, I struck a great deal (I think) and am very happy with the car, everything else works perfectly.

Nice looking car....best of luck
So, good news. Today I pulled out the headlamp to see what was going on, AND to replace the marker and DRL/Turn signal with LED's. The reason for the adaptive headlamp message - a severed wire (drivers side, grey). EASY fix. All is working well. A bit dissapointing that the dealership couldnt find this - their solution was to replace the headlamp - of which you know is an expensive venture. Completely not necessary. All is working well. (In fact, I took it to a local dealership shortly after I got it to have them check it out, their solution was also to replace it... again, completely unnecessary).

So great to hear---I "get" the dealer's service department approach: if some part appears to have failed, have the part on hand BEFORE committing you to a labor charge (or worse, the damn thing breaks apart during the exploratory examination). A suggestion: you can turn off daylight lighting array--- no need to put stress on the plastic headlight parts. Also: become familiar with maintaining battery voltage, and also, the mechanical door exit emergency levers. (Also: you're likely due for a total fluid change-- use this site to ask questions-- lots sage advice for free here) Best of, enjoy your beautiful low mileage luxury roadster. Happy day, James

So great to hear---I "get" the dealer's service department approach: if some part appears to have failed, have the part on hand BEFORE committing you to a labor charge (or worse, the damn thing breaks apart during the exploratory examination). A suggestion: you can turn off daylight lighting array--- no need to put stress on the plastic headlight parts. Also: become familiar with maintaining battery voltage, and also, the mechanical door exit emergency levers. (Also: you're likely due for a total fluid change-- use this site to ask questions-- lots sage advice for free here) Best of, enjoy your beautiful low mileage luxury roadster. Happy day, James
Thanks James! All fluids changed (Brake, coolant, transmission, power steering, oil), except differential and top hydraulic fluid. Hopefully that's all of it. Differential will happen at next visit (I simply forgot...). The top, it was recommended that I take a turkey baster and do it myself, so I will... Am familiar with the door handles on the floor, and the keyhole, etc... Good advice though. Am enjoying the car!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom