Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

CD changer replacement

justdennis

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR-V
My CD changer was holding 6 of my favorite cd's hostage, I tried all the tricks, but nothing worked. Once I removed the unit and separated the cd changer from the radio, I was able to disassemble the changer and remove the cd's. Unfortunately I found some teeth missing from one of the gears so I started looking at my options. I'll cut to the chase, I found a brand new radio/cd unit on ebay that looked very close to the original but it was for a 2006 srx. After more research I decided to take a chance and purchase it, all the connectors looked identical and all I needed was the cd changer or maybe just parts of that. I installed it and it worked great but the steering wheel radio controls not so much. After taking it back out, I switched the mother board from the old changer into the new one and now everything seems to be working as it should. I only used the new cd changer not the radio, my radio works fine and has lifetime XM/Sirius. I'm not ready to claim victory yet as I have just finished working on it and only tested it while parked in the garage. If I find any problems, I'll let you know. I'm sharing this information because it's hard to find anything for these cars so if we find something that is interchangeable with other cars, we need to share that information.

We talked about this on another blog I also purchased the same (I think might have been the last one) Because it was a 05 unit all the stearing wheel controls work! But I knotice have a sound from my origional head unit that sounds as if something is running... a hum with the ignition off. I now have changed boards from the cd player to see if that is the fix. I am working on install the BT45-Vette just unplugging the xm unit took 3 hours and another 1 1/2 to run the mike. If the aftermarket radio Metra face plate had not look so ugly would not be going thru this work. Damn shame some one can not come up with a better looking face to match existing for after market audio. Even a film covering would be better.

I do have some sounds coming from either the radio or cd changer after I power down, but they do time out. I don't think it's any different than it was before I changed the cd changer. Good luck with the BT45, keep us posted on how it turns out.

Bt45 install Put the top down disconnect Battery!

1- Remove center storage. Getting your hand into the space to #1 unplug xfm antenna since that's a real treat, you can not get to the input plug unless to take that connection off. # 2 unplug input plug then feeling around for the ports install the jumper cable that is supplied with the bt45 and re plug the antenna then plug the xfm plug into the jumper (there is now way to see what you are doing) took me 1/2 hours of finger finding. (****)
2- Micro phone was easy to locate once you un clip the winshied side piller you can slide your finger behind the plastic windshild cover (closes to the windshild I mounted mine between the shade and rear view mirror.
3- Run wire down pillar molding, remove the side panel cover (had some foam insulation and resealed that ac door port) "Hey" it was open, loosen the dash pad and feed wire over the speed display to radio opening. At this point opted to cover in a plastic wire loom threading it thru the radio/tape opening thru the consul under the arm rest (only after trying to figure how to loosen the dam thing) 1 hr. Could not believe the microphone cable is acually long enough!
4- Thread the microphone plug under the armrest area to the rear trim and into the bt45 reinstall everything
Depending on how double jointed your are to get to the xfm reciever should not take more than an afternoon to install I guess Cadillac figured you were never going to remove the reciever so they put it in a location that is impossible to work on.

We talked about this on another blog I also purchased the same (I think might have been the last one) Because it was a 05 unit all the stearing wheel controls work! But I knotice have a sound from my origional head unit that sounds as if something is running... a hum with the ignition off. I now have changed boards from the cd player to see if that is the fix. I am working on install the BT45-Vette just unplugging the xm unit took 3 hours and another 1 1/2 to run the mike. If the aftermarket radio Metra face plate had not look so ugly would not be going thru this work. Damn shame some one can not come up with a better looking face to match existing for after market audio. Even a film covering would be better.
something like this?
(and no, it isn't available)

Attachments

• IMG_8591.jpg
    IMG_8591.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
Yes something like that what head unit is that (kenwood,)

Yes something like that what head unit is that (kenwood,)
It is a Sony XAV-AX7000. I machined the new faceplate and buttons and built circuits to tie into its stock buttons plus IR functions and interact with the Bose amp. It took about three years off and on, but it is totally a one-off. I know it was off-topic, but when you said why can’t someone make something that fits, I couldn’t resist! The display in the lower right shows the outside temperature when the engine is running.

It is a Sony XAV-AX7000. I machined the new faceplate and buttons and built circuits to tie into its stock buttons plus IR functions and interact with the Bose amp. It took about three years off and on, but it is totally a one-off. I know it was off-topic, but when you said why can’t someone make something that fits, I couldn’t resist! The display in the lower right shows the outside temperature when the engine is running.
I admire your skill!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back