Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

05 XLR battery went dead now car is crazy...

claim denied,,,,,,,,,,next step,,

Which insurance company?,,,,so the rest of us know who they are? The lawyer may still cost you thousands more $$ spent, and you may very well still lose the battle.

I'd still let the financing company come and get their car......you'll be dollars ahead to let this experience drift away into the dark abyss. jmo

Have you tried getting a second opinion? You're already in the hole- may as well spend a bit more to be absolutely certain.

I wouldn't make any drastic moves without having another party look at it- and it will show your due diligence in the suit if both experts have matching opinions.

Whatever you do, don't start parting out the car while there's a line on it. Most states that might be against the law

Stella,

We owned the car about 6 months before all of this happened, no real issues before this, and the insurance company is refusing to pay out... their opinion is its mechanical failure due to lack of a physical strike on the body itself. They have completely ignored the tech who did the work (30+ year Cadillac tech, Sr. tech at the dealership, ASE master certified tech, and XLR trained tech) when he said its a lightening strike (which my insurance would cover).. hence the need for a lawyer.. the most skilled and informed expert involved is the tech, and his diagnosis was completely ignored to avoid a pay out on the claim.

I would STRONGLY suggest you contact the Insurance Commissioner and run this by them. Have had similar problems in the past and they WILL put a strong arm on the carrier if there is a chance they are avoiding payout on a "legitimate" claim. This won't cost you a dime and just may be helpful.

I would STRONGLY suggest you contact the Insurance Commissioner and run this by them. Have had similar problems in the past and they WILL put a strong arm on the carrier if there is a chance they are avoiding payout on a "legitimate" claim. This won't cost you a dime and just may be helpful.

i agree with everything in that statement

dead battery

any update on this? my xlr is doing the exact same thing.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben, I think everyone that owns a XLR has battery problems if they let them set. I was told by my mechanic at the Chevy dealer that specializes in Vets that because these vehicles are all electric there is a constant pull on the battery to keep memory in the computer which causes the battery to die if not starter frequently. I have installed a external release for the hood so I can get to the battery easily. I will try to attach photo.

David J.

Attachments

• external hood release latch.jpg
    external hood release latch.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 576
The insurance company is definitely wrong by not paying out. I thought that's what insurance is for "the what if"! :dunno:
But sitting down thinking about it I have some problems. And believe me I am no expert!
Every panel on the car is composite most likely not very conductive. Tires insulate the car from the ground in the case of puddles. Can't see any visible signs of strike. Knowing how We keep our cars I can tell if the wife got in the car. "Thumb print on door" while going for the door pad. :( I would think there would be something with that kind of voltage. :dunno:
Does nothing operate in the car radio,dash,lights,so on? Were there blown fuses? I'm guessing it was parked outside in the open?

You might try searching the Corvette forum to see if something similar happened to a Corvette. It may be unique to the composite body. The frame is the only thing that would be a large conductor and as CC pointed out is the common/ground for the entire electrical system. It may have not taken a direct hit to create this issue. Being so low to the ground may also contribute. There are a lot more Corvettes out there and one or more may have experienced a similar situation. It can't hurt to carefully inspect the ground connections for any charring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Battery woes and misc.

Found this in the Corvette forum. His problem was intermittent, but discussion of several codes, etc. good luck.

C7 Corvette Forum - Corvette Forum - Forums - Pics - Tech - Corvette Action Center: CorvetteActionCenter.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience with a failed battery is somewhat similar. The Battery trickle charger I made up (12V 500ma) somehow got disconnected and battery was discharged. Jump Starting from a Good Booster Battery did not work. Refused to Crank.
It seems that the battery in the vehcle must be fully charged first. Then wait 15 or 30 minutes after disconnecting. I think during that time that various systems reboot. After a wait period, the horns chirped a couple or 3 times, then it started with no problem. I did not have to re-index windows.
Somewhat similarly I stopped the Top at the half way point to clean the Rear Window. It then refused to move even with a gentle shove in both directions. Went back 20+ minutes later and it worked as it should. I never interrupt the cycle of Up/Down now.
This same procedure worked when a jacket got caught in the trunk opening as I was putting the top down. Waited awhile and then the trunk lid released. Something in the BCM resets.

When I changed out the Battery for a new specific Delco replacement I was sure to plug in a power source to the OBD so the vehicle would not lose total power during the changeover. No issues with that.
I have added a red #4 stranded cable to the + connection at the underhood fuse box and directed it to the front valence, with a Marrette cap. I can now reach under and ground Negative to the frame and connect jumper cables.
Not sure if it would work for starting due to Computer defaults, but likely will allow doors to be opened in case of dead vehicle battery. I will also be installing a Choke cable type release for the hood. Big pain getting there via Trunk.

Does anyone have info on how the Underhood lamp is attached to the pad or hood structure and exactly where it is connected? Mine does not have one and they are still available from GM. I have looked in the past for a spare pair of wires in the area of the Master Cylinder but could not find them.

I was talking to my GM Parts guy this A.M. and was told that the Passenger (Right) side headlight capsules are available from GM for under $1,500 Canadian$. Part # 20779744 for my 2008 XLR. Likely comes without bulbs, ballast etc. No listing for Left side. Unavailable for some time now.

Thanks, Gord.

Ben,

Well, the car finally went to the dealership, the Body control module was burnt as well as the receiver... I paid to replace the module and receiver. At that point the tech could communicate with the rest of the car, and every module is burnt out, none are returning any sort of signal to the BCM. The tech believes that if all the modules are replaced more items will also be burnt out, but they can not tell until all the modules are replaced. Repair Estimate of approx. $19,000.. The tech is convinced its a lightening strike issue, the Insurance company however says since there is no physical damage to the body of the car there is no proof of lightening strike.. they are denying the claim stating "its a mechanical failure".. So basically I have a Paper weight that required at lest $19k in repairs. I'm working with a lawyer currently to get the insurance company to honor its liability since the expert in the matter (the tech, 30+ year Cadillac tech, ASE master certified tech, XLR certified tech) whos worked with similar situations of lightening strike on 3 Cadillacs in the last year believes lightening strike is the only way this much damage could occur. and his statements have been ignored by the Insurance company.. so yes its ben all down hill.. without a car now for many months.. still making payments... and now funding a lawyers lifestyle.. :mad:

With respect to the Tech, what evidence is there that every module is burnt out? Lack of communications does not mean a module is burnt out, it means that there is a lack of communications. Has there been an attempt to get the modules tested individually? With regard to lightening strike, the damage caused can be utterly weird, implausible and counter-intuitive. The 12v difference between the live supply and the ground is of almost no relevance, the very low resistance of the battery means that voltage spikes will jump all round the place. A conventional fuse is no protection either, a lightening strike can be so fast that a fuse does not have time to blow.

XLR Shutdown

With respect to the Tech, what evidence is there that every module is burnt out? Lack of communications does not mean a module is burnt out, it means that there is a lack of communications. Has there been an attempt to get the modules tested individually? With regard to lightening strike, the damage caused can be utterly weird, implausible and counter-intuitive. The 12v difference between the live supply and the ground is of almost no relevance, the very low resistance of the battery means that voltage spikes will jump all round the place. A conventional fuse is no protection either, a lightening strike can be so fast that a fuse does not have time to blow.

My sympathy to Silky. Rubber Tires do a lot but they are no guarantee that a vehicle cannot be struck by lightning. I have seen it happen to a Dump Truck and there are videos of it on Utube.

You might see if you can get it on a hoist. There may be an indication of the lightning discharge from the car to Earth from a metal component. One of your recourses is to plead with GM direct.

I wish you good luck on it and again am very sorry about your situation with Lawyers and Insurance Co's and Technology.

Gord.

Battery Ground

My sympathy to Silky. Rubber Tires do a lot but they are no guarantee that a vehicle cannot be struck by lightning. I have seen it happen to a Dump Truck and there are videos of it on Utube.

You might see if you can get it on a hoist. There may be an indication of the lightning discharge from the car to Earth from a metal component. One of your recourses is to plead with GM direct.

I wish you good luck on it and again am very sorry about your situation with Lawyers and Insurance Co's and Technology.

Gord.

Can anyone tell me where the battery ground cable is bolted to frame or any other place? I would like to check this out for a good ground & will also install a second ground strap.

David J.

Battery Ground Connection to Chassis.

Can anyone tell me where the battery ground cable is bolted to frame or any other place? I would like to check this out for a good ground & will also install a second ground strap.

David J.

David. Simply follow the Negative cable from the Battery. It attaches directly below the Battery under the Positive Terminal. If that connection is clean and bright, there is no need IMHO to install another Ground Cable. I have attached the Caddy XLR On line Owners Manual. The Service Manual (800+pages) does not show the actual connection...or at least I didn't see it.

Gord.
https://www.cadillac.com/content/da...s/01_images/2008_cadillac_xlr_xlrv_owners.pdf

Gord.

Still hoping Silky contacted the State Insurance Commissioner about this before dumping more $ in the lawyers pockets!

Battery Ground

David. Simply follow the Negative cable from the Battery. It attaches directly below the Battery under the Positive Terminal. If that connection is clean and bright, there is no need IMHO to install another Ground Cable. I have attached the Caddy XLR On line Owners Manual. The Service Manual (800+pages) does not show the actual connection...or at least I didn't see it.

Gord.
https://www.cadillac.com/content/da...s/01_images/2008_cadillac_xlr_xlrv_owners.pdf

Reason for asking I had a corvette with same problem, ground cable did not have good connection so I installed a new one in a different location which solve the problem. I just could not see where it was connected from looking down beside battery. Thanks for the response.

David J

I know this is a huge jump and there's a one in one million chance that you have the exact issue as my car had; but try removing the 10amp fuse on the BCM that is for the onstar. My car would refuse to connect to the scanner till I removed that fuse and then everything started right up and was happy as a clam...

Who knows... stranger things have happened... :dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back