Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

05 XLR battery went dead now car is crazy...

Couple weeks ago my trunk lid went zonkers on me then wouldn't open i presses the reset button on dash after it reset it was ok these cars are as smart phones are to us totally un -understandable.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that "reset" button on the dash does any kind of reset on the top!

is there something special to turn the security off?

Yes, you should be able to hit the unlock button on your remote, that will disarm the security system. If it doesn't, the fob is either not working or has a dead battery or your car is not recognizing any fobs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup, Made Me Crazy Also, At First. : ) Now? No Big Deal.

Here's the deal. Yes a new strong battery is essential and being regularly on a Battery Tender. I went through the same thing with mine. Low voltage, or next to no voltage makes them go "Nuts"! :bash:

Then, being an American, I finally decided to read The Manual about fob reprogramming.:( Open the little flap on the bumper once the battery was fully recharged. Turn the key 'X' number of times as instructed while having the fob in the little pocket in the glove box facing to the right. Walla! Everything worked again! :)

Yet, even after doing this it will still occasionally lose the Fob Signal. This particularly when absent from the car for a few days. On the left side inside of the glove box is a little pocket. If the display says "No Fob Found" (even after reprogramming) simply stick the Fob in the little pocket in the glove box with the buttons facing to the Right Passenger Side. Don't worry about the back and forth deal in the trunk access little square plate. The car (assuming a fully charged battery) will then start and will then re-learn it's default settings to the Fob. Whenever this may occur (again, assuming a fully charged good battery), just use this process. For immediate and relatively continuous use the car will then re-learn to recognize that Fob. Will you have to repeat this process every time? No. Just once in awhile if the Fob is absent from the car and not used for several days.:thumbsup Don't forget, the Fobs also have little batteries in them on any car thus equipped that can and do go bad.

Hope this helps.

Alarm is Controlled Via On Dash Menu Options

the only way for me to get into the car is by that key hole.. it doesn't turn off my security.. the alarm goes wild when i pull the door release inside the trunk... and i had to use the key hole to open the trunk... is there something special to turn the security off?

On the rocker switch (with a good fully charged battery) engine off, use 'down' Acc Position on rocker switch you can scroll through 'all' programming options on upper dash selector button to select what you want or don't want. Just follow the prompts. Or just hold the rocker down for about 5 seconds until selection display appears. This results in "key on, engine off". Then use the upper button to scroll through the menu making the selections you desire. When done simply push the rocker down once more, and go to engine off.:)

Here's the deal. Yes a new strong battery is essential and being regularly on a Battery Tender. I went through the same thing with mine. Low voltage, or next to no voltage makes them go "Nuts"! :bash:

Then, being an American, I finally decided to read The Manual about fob reprogramming.:( Open the little flap on the bumper once the battery was fully recharged. Turn the key 'X' number of times as instructed while having the fob in the little pocket in the glove box facing to the right. Walla! Everything worked again! :)

Yet, even after doing this it will still occasionally lose the Fob Signal. This particularly when absent from the car for a few days. On the left side inside of the glove box is a little pocket. If the display says "No Fob Found" (even after reprogramming) simply stick the Fob in the little pocket in the glove box with the buttons facing to the Right Passenger Side. Don't worry about the back and forth deal in the trunk access little square plate. The car (assuming a fully charged battery) will then start and will then re-learn it's default settings to the Fob. Whenever this may occur (again, assuming a fully charged good battery), just use this process. For immediate and relatively continuous use the car will then re-learn to recognize that Fob. Will you have to repeat this process every time? No. Just once in awhile if the Fob is absent from the car and not used for several days.:thumbsup Don't forget, the Fobs also have little batteries in them on any car thus equipped that can and do go bad.

Hope this helps.

GREAT INFO FOR US NEWBIES!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU:thumbsup

the car doesn't recognize anything, tried 2 batteries in the car, 3 batteries in the FOB, tried reprogramming the fob with the 5 turns in the hidden key hole to no avail.. the DIC will not come up with anything. If it simply didn't recognize the FOB i would get "No Fob Found".. it will not go into accessory mode either. I have not had any time to fool with it in about 3 days.. but i doubt its fixed itself in that time.

the car doesn't recognize anything, tried 2 batteries in the car, 3 batteries in the FOB, tried reprogramming the fob with the 5 turns in the hidden key hole to no avail.. the DIC will not come up with anything. If it simply didn't recognize the FOB i would get "No Fob Found".. it will not go into accessory mode either. I have not had any time to fool with it in about 3 days.. but i doubt its fixed itself in that time.

I don't mean to make light of your situation as if it happened to me I wouldn't be able to find a big enough sledge hammer. But, I had to comment - - - "ain't technolgy a great thing"! I've never had these kind of problems with the 52 Ford or 39 Buick!!

Hope you get it figured out soon - BSH (before sledge hammer)

50on20s.jpg this is my ride tonight due to the caddy being unhelpful in fixing itself... if anything goes wrong electrically on this one I can trace all 3 wires..

'49 or '50?

View attachment 5745 this is my ride tonight due to the caddy being unhelpful in fixing itself... if anything goes wrong electrically on this one I can trace all 3 wires..

AWESOME LOOKING RIDE! Glad you have a sense of humor AND a back-up!! JUST REMEMBER - RED IS GROUND ON THE BATTERY!!!! (if it still has the flathead):thumbsup

oh yeah - consider some lake pipes on it!!

Love it......... also my style of an awesome ride!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I stand corrected the reset button is for dash items .I do not understand why the trunk would not open it would go up a few inches then go down tried to use the pad opener it started open then close then in a flurry of up &down and finally stop and has worked proper eversince???

Phil105 Wow that Ford club coupe is fabulous so beautiful [emoji106][emoji7][emoji106]

Yup, it 'Reset Itself' : )

I stand corrected the reset button is for dash items .I do not understand why the trunk would not open it would go up a few inches then go down tried to use the pad opener it started open then close then in a flurry of up &down and finally stop and has worked proper eversince???

These cars have so many electronic gizmos and sensors, they go Nuts when confronted by low voltage. Everything goes haywire. Even the trunk sensor for open and pull down. It simply after a period of time went, "Oh, I have good voltage now" and it reset itself.

Phil105 Wow that Ford club coupe is fabulous so beautiful [emoji106][emoji7][emoji106]

ha ha - Thanks, but that's not my little coupe - that belongs to Silky - see post above mine

These cars have so many electronic gizmos and sensors, they go Nuts when confronted by low voltage. Everything goes haywire. Even the trunk sensor for open and pull down. It simply after a period of time went, "Oh, I have good voltage now" and it reset itself.

See my post - "XLR on Windows"!!:thumbsup

Thanks thats good to know It appeared as a demonic possession at the time-pheew [emoji33]

LOLOL thanks for all the comments and Help.. and the Biggest issue I have is i am a GM man... The Club Coupe is SBC powered.. and I got my girlfriend out of her Ford (shes from a Ford family) into the XLR.. and it has so much tested my faith in GM with this whole ordeal.. I hope I can get some time under the hood of her today and see what I can make happen..

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom