Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2005 Cadillac XLR keeps shutting off!!!

QueLou

Hello all, I have a 2005 Cadillac XLR. When I first noticed the problem, I would stop at a stop sign or stop light and drive off and my XLR would start spuddering idling rough and cut off. Than it started stall while i would be driving. Once it would stall it wouldnt start. So I would get it towed and a few days later the car would start find with no sign of a problem. That has happened at least 8 times. I took it to the dealer they no nothing in Orangeburg SC. So I had fuel pump, all 4 O2 sensors, and the computer changed and my problem still exist. Can anyone help!!!!!

Did a computer scan pull up any codes?

I really can't help,,,,but I can guess. Catalytic converter plugged? Pinched electrical wire somewhere? Did the battery check out OK? Fuel injectors defective?

How many miles on your car?

Hopefully somebody here who had a similar situation will respond....

Good luck

My car has 103k miles on it. Also I forgot to put in my original post I replaced the battery as well. There are no codes. Will the cat cause the fuel rail to have 0 pressure? Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
when it sputters and idles roughly, how roughly?? I had a similar problem with mine, but the sputtering was brutal. The ignition coil had become unclamped to the top of the head and man it was a wild loping "sputter". Doesn't sound like the same thing but you never know. I think when my buddy removed the plastic engine cover it caught on the clip and just pulled it enough off to cause problems.

Yes its very rough jerking to a stop. If its stopped and it happens to start it will not move, just rough idle. Almost feels like the engine is about to fall apart. Thats how it started, now it stalls while driving.

You really need to take your car to a Cadillac Dealer with a Certified XLR technician. Since it has been 7 years since the last XLRs were produced, there are probably fewer XLR certified techs in the dealerships now.

I am fortunate to have an excellent Certified XLR technician at my Cadillac dealer where my XLR was sold new. He has been there for quite some time.

Tracking down this issue,,,,,,,

Lou,,,, You really don't need a Certified XLR technician to fix this issue,,,,,but you probably need a GM Master technician that excels in knowing GM engine problems.

quote: " I took it to the dealer they no nothing in Orangeburg SC. So I had fuel pump, all 4 O2 sensors, and the computer changed and my problem still exist."

quote: "There are no codes."

So why would you or a service tech change out fuel pump,,,O2 sensors,,,and a computer :eek: if there are No Codes being pulled? Is somebody 'guessing' and/or just throwing parts at it? Never, ever pay for 'guesses' --- that's the difference between a quality shop or technician,,,,,, and those that know Jack Schitt.

Might try a Chevy dealer who has a tech that works on ZO6'S and ZR-1 Vettes....... or a quality, high performance tuning shop in your area.

Good luck....

Totally different car with similar issues. I have a Jaguar S Type which was my daily driver. It had a small vacuum leak by the manifold where it was undetected by the mechanics tuning the car. Someone out of the blue familiar with these issues figured out the problem. The hose was about 2 inches in length but caused lots of hate and discontent. Afterwards never had problems again.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Good point,,,

Quote: "Someone out of the blue familiar with these issues figured out the problem.

:thumbsup

That's why in Lou's situation he needs a GM Master tech who knows GM engine problems....... a Certified XLR tech isn't needed unless its a top retracting problem or some other issue specific to a XLR > interior, dash, etc etc

From my experience when the pump goes bad it doesn't start back up. When my pump failed my car shut off and wouldn't restart until it was replaced. If your original pump was replaced by the dealer they would have checked the other before putting your car back together. I understand they have to remove the whole rear end to get to the fuel tanks. When he called me he explained about both and said the left side was good. The right side had failed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

read my ppst on xlr.com

Hello all, I have a 2005 Cadillac XLR. When I first noticed the problem, I would stop at a stop sign or stop light and drive off and my XLR would start spuddering idling rough and cut off. Than it started stall while i would be driving. Once it would stall it wouldnt start. So I would get it towed and a few days later the car would start find with no sign of a problem. That has happened at least 8 times. I took it to the dealer they no nothing in Orangeburg SC. So I had fuel pump, all 4 O2 sensors, and the computer changed and my problem still exist. Can anyone help!!!!!

I had same issue fixed its a ground wire on fuel pump took several days to finaly find it.i did a write up on it on xlr.com xlr shuts off while driving fixed msg me if you need help

I had same issue fixed its a ground wire on fuel pump took several days to finaly find it.i did a write up on it on xlr.com xlr shuts off while driving fixed msg me if you need help[/QUOTE
Can you call or text me 8032690514, my problem still exist.]

Problem still there!!!

Ive had alot of work done to this vehicle and its still doing the same thing. idk what elese to do.

For a thread that was started over two months ago, there is still a lot of troubleshooting info missing for this problem. If you've been paying for parts and still have the same problem, someone owes you some money.

1. List all symptoms. (Engine sputtering is only one.) The ECM should throw codes. What are they? (If working with a dealership, they should be listed on the invoice.)
2. List all replaced parts.
3. Who has been working on it?

If you take your car to a GM dealership, and the problem can't be diagnosed properly, they can contact the TAC (Technical Assistance Center) and work with system experts to find a solution. Has this been done?

CC :wave:<strike></strike>

Talked with him over the phone. I think hes having the same issue i had on the ground wire on fuel pump. Gave him the link for fix. Mine has been fine since. Just make sure you come back and post after its fixed

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom