Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2006 Grill and Driver's Door Hinge

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
A guy at a car show had a 2006 XLR. It had the steel mesh grill in it, and he said that was standard on the '06. Is that true?? Also I told him that my driver's door seemed to "drag a little" on the latch assy. when opening and closing. He said, "You need to take it to a body shop that has a "door holder' so they can take the door off and replace the bushings on the hinges." Are there bushings on the hinges that can be replaced, and if so where can I attain them.Your reply(s) would be very helpfull.Thanks guys and gals!

The "V" model has the mesh grille.
The lower driver's side hinge was dropping when we bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. Several weeks ago, instead of replacing bushings, I replaced the lower hinge. Took it to a body shop and had them realign the door. Cost was 72$. Works like a champ. Bushings can be replaced, I chose this way to fix it

bushings

several sites list bushing but that are not the right size. I checked a dozen sources and wound up making my own. Do yourself a favor and just but the hinge. It has a welded pin and is not a do it yourself job and is not intended to be repaired

hinge bushing or hinge

The lower driver's side hinge was dropping when we bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. Several weeks ago, instead of replacing bushings, I replaced the lower hinge. Took it to a body shop and had them realign the door. Cost was 72$. Works like a champ. Bushings can be replaced, I chose this way to fix it

Thanks my friend, but are the bushings available? and from who? they are probably cheaper than the hinge. And why the bottom hinge? Who and how did you decide that that was the worn one???

mesh grill

Thanks my friend, but are the bushings available? and from who? they are probably cheaper than the hinge. And why the bottom hinge? Who and how did you decide that that was the worn one???
That's what he had!, The V model supercharged

several sites list bushing but that are not the right size. I checked a dozen sources and wound up making my own. Do yourself a favor and just but the hinge. It has a welded pin and is not a do it yourself job and is not intended to be repaired

You meant "just buy the hinge" right? not "just but the hinge,"that was a "typo" right. Which one, or just get both???

opps , don't ---"but"--- the hinge, that will hurt. just " buy" the hinge. HAHA. bottom one . top hardly ever fails. You can open the door and pick it up and down to see for sure .
Its the lower hinge as it is the one with a detent roller. That roller takes grease that it usually does not get which causes friction with the spring and will cause a pop when opening and closing. It is really easy to change. Just open the door all the way open. Prop up the bottom of the doorat the rear of it , with a jack or jack stand to hold it up. Remove the bolts on the hinge and install new one. Do not sit in the car with the door jacked up or sit on the sill while working on it. That can cause damage. Corvette has the same hinge and I see new ones on ebay for 50$ from time to time. a towel between the door and fender will assure you do not scratch.

botom hinge replacement

opps , don't ---"but"--- the hinge, that will hurt. just " buy" the hinge. HAHA. bottom one . top hardly ever fails. You can open the door and pick it up and down to see for sure .
Its the lower hinge as it is the one with a detent roller. That roller takes grease that it usually does not get which causes friction with the spring and will cause a pop when opening and closing. It is really easy to change. Just open the door all the way open. Prop up the bottom of the doorat the rear of it , with a jack or jack stand to hold it up. Remove the bolts on the hinge and install new one. Do not sit in the car with the door jacked up or sit on the sill while working on it. That can cause damage. Corvette has the same hinge and I see new ones on ebay for 50$ from time to time. a towel between the door and fender will assure you do not scratch.

Yeah Mickeytee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought one but I don't understand whay Mickey tee said.He wrote: opps,-----"but" the hinge.That will hurt. What inplain English does that mean????
Sorry its a southern language issue./ Opps. That means sorry I made a mistake in my posting. opps, my mistake.
Don't "BUT" the hinge , as in BUTT your head into a wall. That will hurt. BUY the hinge instead of butting it. I misspelled buy, instead I said bu( t ). :wave:

oops

haha jump on me for my spelling. oops, it looked like I spelled oops wrong

urban dictionary
Other definitions of OPPS:

• Misspelling of 'oops'
I get it , Oops means I slipped up or made a boo boo, or erred in any mans language, southern, northern, midwestern or Californian. Is that spring tough to install on the new hinge?

spring

I thought they came with a spring. they used to in the old days. If not ,what I used to do is pop it out with a screwdriver and a rag over it so it does not fly. Then you can put it in a vise close it up, and tie a coat hanger around it to hold it closed I used two, on opposite sides. then after you put it in just cut the hanger . Or you can send me your address and I will send you the tool to properly do it. It will just cost you 3$ to mail it back. They are about 12 at advance auto parts but its something that you may never use but once.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Getting back to the question regarding the wire mesh grill, apparently, one could purchase these as "aftermarket" and put them on NON XLR-V models. Mine is a 2007, and it has the wire grille... the company's logo is on the grill, and I think one can purchase this "custom" grill as a retail item enen now. I suppose to the "untrained" eye, my car looks like a V model... but it lacks the special hood (as well as the engine and other associated V components) to make it an authentic V model. James

Door Hinge

How difficult is it to remove the spring from the old hinge and install it on the new one? Any instructions, and or tips, would be sincerely appreciated!

Door Hinge Spring

I thought they came with a spring. they used to in the old days. If not ,what I used to do is pop it out with a screwdriver and a rag over it so it does not fly. Then you can put it in a vise close it up, and tie a coat hanger around it to hold it closed I used two, on opposite sides. then after you put it in just cut the hanger . Or you can send me your address and I will send you the tool to properly do it. It will just cost you 3$ to mail it back. They are about 12 at advance auto parts but its something that you may never use but once.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Thank you so much mickeytee! I'll let you know if I will need the tool. and add that that is so nice of you to offer it's use to someone you don't even know, except on the forum! What a great guy you are!!!! Thank you, thank you!!1

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom