Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2007 XLR/V Starting Problem

John Kalament

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black
My 2007 XLR/V will sometimes go into a mode where it will not start when I push the start button. It will continue to try to start without me touching the start button and I have to manually turn it off for it to stop. When I disconnect the battery cables and hold them together for ten seconds and reconnect them it will start but then goes back to the no start mode after a few days. Am I doing something wrong in not holding the cables together long enough when disconnected or is it possible my battery may be a little too old ? The car starts fine once I disconnect and reconnect the battery cables and it will turn over really fast so I don't think I have a Battery issue.
Any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Have you plugged in a code reader to see if there are any current or stored codes? That is where I would start. Also just swap batteries with your daily driver and see what happens. These cars are voltage sensitive.

I have installed a new Battery since the one that was in there was 4 years old. The problem still exists, no codes come up either before, during, or after I try to start it.
Can there be some hidden code that's not showing up ? Confusing problem to me :(

My 2007 XLR/V will sometimes go into a mode where it will not start when I push the start button. It will continue to try to start without me touching the start button and I have to manually turn it off for it to stop. When I disconnect the battery cables and hold them together for ten seconds and reconnect them it will start but then goes back to the no start mode after a few days. Am I doing something wrong in not holding the cables together long enough when disconnected or is it possible my battery may be a little too old ? The car starts fine once I disconnect and reconnect the battery cables and it will turn over really fast so I don't think I have a Battery issue.
Any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Soo, no codes? That is odd.
If I am reading you correctly, on pressing the start button, you get plenty of crank but no engine start. Is that correct? Your X then goes on attempting to start by cranking again and staying in that loop until you stop it.

When you say no codes, what are you using to extract the codes? A Tech-II is needed to do a full scan.

I'm not sure how many codes are erased by disconnecting the battery, but some will be. Oddly though, disconnecting the battery usually sets a code or two (codes which can be ignored), it is unusual for there to be zero stored codes. In a complex machine like the XLR, occasional codes do get stored, just through noise and the like in the electronics. Usually these will be U codes.

Have you checked fuel pump pressure? I don't know for sure, but I assume an invalid security code would prevent crank on an XLR. On other vehicles, a no-start condition with crank can be caused by a security fault.

Last edited:
Finally brought it to a Mechanic that was able to bring up some stored codes but none pertained to my problem. After some further testing it turns out that the fuel pump was only putting out 35lbs. pressure when it should have been 65 lbs. Getting the pump replaced now and hopefully that will solve my problem.
Thanks to all that responded to my thread. I will post a reply as soon as I get my car back from the repair shop.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom