Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2008 Cadillac XLR-V Hardtop Retraction / Trunk Struggle to Open?

MrSmoke

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
I have had my XLR-V for 2 months now. The Convertible top worked perfectly well until a few days ago. I noticed the trunk would open a lot slower than usual, as well as everything related to retracting the hardtop. After this happened 2 times, the top simply struggled to open, as well as the trunk. On the third time, there simply wasn't enough "energy" left for the top to go up. I was able to close it the next day by using my foot to hold the convertible top button, while simultaneously assisting the trunk and top each step of the way. From what I could gather from this forum, there could potentially be a leak in my hydraulic system. When I checked the fluid level in the trunk, it was actually overfilled a little bit. Is a little over filled an issue? Is it causing my issue? What can potentially happen when this type of fluid is overfilled? More importantly, what do I do next? Help! Thanks people.

Attachments

• XLRHydraulicLevel.jpg
    XLRHydraulicLevel.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
There are two, smaller pneumatic "assist" cylinders forward of the two hydraulic lift cylinders on the sides, covered for the most part by the rat fur trunk liner. When either one (or both) of these fail, the hydraulic system struggles to lift the rear deck lid. You can replace these yourself if you aren't all thumbs.

If you have to assist the trunk lid to open, this is a good starting point. If the other components of the top are operating, the pump is probably fine; if they aren't, (suspected low hydraulic pressure) there's either a leak, (doubtful --since your hydraulic fluid level is isn't low) or a failing pump.

There's a "max" fluid level for a reason, but if it's been working thus far without a problem, I don't think it's a big seal. If the fluid level suddenly goes low, that's a problem. Being a closed system, the hydraulic oil has to go someplace, and it's never good.

CC :wave:

It's not just the trunk, the top itself has the same struggles requiring assistance. Do you believe that replacing pneumatic "assist" cylinder(s) is still the correct solution?

If more than one part of the top is having difficulty, it's most likely something in common with all of them. The first suspect is always the battery. If in doubt, have it load-tested. Any auto parts store should be able to do this for you.

Troubleshooting the top remotely is difficult unless you have the right diagnostic tools and can post the results. The best way to isolate the cause of the fault is have a diagnostic scan run using a Tech 2 by someone who knows how to interpret the results. A scan only takes a few minutes and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg for shop labor.

I hope it isn't a faulty hydraulic pump, as the labor can get expensive unless you remove and re-install it yourself. There's a vendor mentioned here who specializes in pump repairs for a lot less than replacing it with a new part, if it is indeed bad.

CC :wave:

Best Trickle Charger?

I am looking forward to slow charging my battery overnight, in attempt to solve this top issue. I have a cheap plugin 500mah trickle charger from China, which I will likely not use. Is there any one charger, better than another out there? Any recommendations of any type? Brand? Output?

Also, is it okay to charge the battery overnight without disconnecting it?

Last edited:
I don't have one either. Mainly the folks whose cars sit for lengths of time need a tender.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I noticed everyone seems to have a battery tender, how does that compare to the one you recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the Tender and Minder work great, and are microprocessor-controlled, unlike cheap trickle chargers.

The (advertised) difference is the Minder pulses the plates with current once the battery is charged to prevent sulphur build-up. (Their site explains the benefits in great detail.)

At one time, the Tender advertised that, but when I did my last comparo of the two, it omitted this capability. I've used a Tender for long-term battery maintenance for a decade and have been pleased with the results - especially with an XLR, which slowly drains a battery if not driven for a few weeks. (My lawn mower is always connected to one, and that battery has to be at least ten years old.) If I were to replace my Tender(s), I'd opt for the Minder.

You can't go wrong with either.

CC

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry