Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! 2008 XLR Base - Wierd Things Happening

bearhntr

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Elektra Blue XLR
I was out of town this past weekend, and pulled up to stop light and turned on the RIGHT blinker. The dash light was flashing really fast. Usually this means a bulb is out.

When I got home, I checked and the front (DRL) amber light is on and flashes FAST, but the rear LED does not. When you press the remote, the two strips flash only ONE time, whereas the LEFT flashes TWO TIMES. Subsequent presses of the remote yields ONLY LEFT light flashes. Nothing from the RIGHT for at least 10 mins.

Looking at the RIGHT light, there is a tiny bit of moisture in the fixture on the outer part - NO MOVING WATER - kinda like steamed up about 3" long and about 1/4" wide. I do not know how water could have gotten in, I always HAND WASH my baby.

Tonight I got in it to move it, and there was no BACKUP LIGHTS or DASH LIGHTS. The gauges were not lit, the HUD was not on, and the radio screen was full brightness as were the LEDs on the shifter.

This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I did replace my backup and license plate lights with top of the line LEDs....months ago, and have had no problems at all with them. All interior lights are also now bright white LEDs. All other lights appear to come on.

Anyone heard of this before? It is almost like there is a short someplace ...but no idea where. The trunk is bone dry as is the interior, so no water leaks that I can see.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks,
*BH*

Without looking through the lighting schematics, I would suspect a flasher relay or BCM-related problem. Check the BCM under the passenger foot well carpet for any blown fuses, signs of water intrusion, (from the right side of the windshield header) loose connectors, or bad relays - if you know how to test them. Reseating and applicable relays (descriptions are in your owner's manual) is easy and cheap.

CC :wave:

CC,

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea ... if there has even been, if a water leak has happened. I have never seen any water anywhere in the car. I will check, though. It is raining here today - so it will have to wait.

I just find it strange, I have had the car almost a year now, that it would leak now. I am meticulous about keeping the top up and making sure that I keep the tracks clear as well as the rubber treated. I hope it is something simple as a loose relay.

I will let you know what I find.

*BH*

Without looking through the lighting schematics, I would suspect a flasher relay or BCM-related problem. Check the BCM under the passenger foot well carpet for any blown fuses, signs of water intrusion, (from the right side of the windshield header) loose connectors, or bad relays - if you know how to test them. Reseating and applicable relays (descriptions are in your owner's manual) is easy and cheap.

CC :wave:

There have been incidents reported where the installation of LED lamps have caused erratic behavior with the electrical system.

A qualified XLR tech with a Tech II programmer should be able to determine what the source of the problem is. Hope you have access to a good XLR tech.

leak could be minor, and intermittent. but if it leaks just enough in the wrong place, like onto wiring connectors or a fuse panel...
eventually some corrosion could form and start causing electrical issues.
old story:
my other car, a clk430, once in a while the windshield drain tub will clog, eventually filling the tub with water, which then seeps in thru the firewall.
and fills the passenger side footwell with water.
only thing is you dont know until the footwell starts sloshing water, cuz it fills up sneaky from the bottom up.
once you remove the carpets theres a gallon of water down there !!! btw my rav4 did the same thing !! but that was from the A pillar...

moral of the story is, just cuz you dont see a leak, doesnt mean theres not water running in or thru your car :)

look for the telltale signs of water, new water, aka wetness,
and old water, like white crust, discolored insulation, corroded metals.

It is going into the shop on Tuesday. I did check the well where the fuses are, and I do not see any water. The carpet does appear to be wet anywhere.

I will let them look into it. Good thing I have the EXT WARR. :)

*BH*

leak could be minor, and intermittent. but if it leaks just enough in the wrong place, like onto wiring connectors or a fuse panel...
eventually some corrosion could form and start causing electrical issues.
old story:
my other car, a clk430, once in a while the windshield drain tub will clog, eventually filling the tub with water, which then seeps in thru the firewall.
and fills the passenger side footwell with water.
only thing is you dont know until the footwell starts sloshing water, cuz it fills up sneaky from the bottom up.
once you remove the carpets theres a gallon of water down there !!! btw my rav4 did the same thing !! but that was from the A pillar...

moral of the story is, just cuz you dont see a leak, doesnt mean theres not water running in or thru your car :)

look for the telltale signs of water, new water, aka wetness,
and old water, like white crust, discolored insulation, corroded metals.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom