Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2014 Rolex 24

Quinn

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR-V
So maybe there's one good thing about Nascar taking over ALMS...saw this on the website:

The 2014 Rolex 24 on SiriusXM

For the first time ever, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio will carry ALL of MRN's coverage - 25 total hours - of the Rolex 24.
Tune to SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Saturday, Jan. 25 at 2 pm ET, and stay with us for non-stop, flag-to-flag coverage from Daytona until Sunday, Jan. 26 at 3 pm ET.
Your home for NASCAR is also your home for the 2014 Rolex 24 at Daytona ... SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, channel 90!

Is anyone going to the race? How about Sebring?
I think we will try to make some of the other summer races this year, in addition to Road America.
'Bout time to come back to life! MISS YOU GUYS!!! :grouphug:

~Quinn

Horrible crash

Horrible crash about 3 hours into the race. Traffic coming out of the international horseshoe, the leading Corvette DP moved left to make a pass, not knowing a Ferrari (GTLM class) was to the left running at half power. The impact was at over 100MPH. They were driving into the sun, so they believe the driver didn't see the Ferrari. The race was red flagged (stopped) for over two hours to extract the drivers and clean up the wreckage.

At the end of television coverage, both drivers were reported to be awake and alert at Halifax Hospital in Daytona and under observation. There is video of this on YouTube, but I am not posting it here. Seeing it live on TV was enough!

Is anyone going to the race? How about Sebring?
I think we will try to make some of the other summer races this year, in addition to Road America.
'Bout time to come back to life! MISS YOU GUYS!!! :grouphug:

~Quinn

Yesterday all my Mecum Auto Auction companions bowed out of attending the last day at Kissimmee.
Therefore, I changed plans and zipped up to the Rolex 24. My first time at that event.
Impressive and overwhelming. Great viewing readily available at choice locations and plenty of extra
activities happening at the infield "Fan Zone."

The red flag wreck was chilling. Reminded me of a missile going through a combat aircraft.

A pleasant time but I didn't try to endure the entire 24hours…. I was there about a third of it..

Quinn, would be great to see you again at Sebring!

Steve

Rolex 24 Recap

Corvette Daytona Prototypes Finish 1, 2 Overall.
Wayne Taylor Racing lost the lead with about 45 minutes left and had to try and chase Joao Barbosa of the Action Express team for the finish. The Action Express Corvette DP finished first in P class and first overall. Wayne Taylor Racing finished second for the second consecutive year. Action Express' second car finished third and Chevrolet swept the podium with three Corvette teams left standing at the end of the twice-around-the-clock endurance race.

In GTLM class, corvette didn't fair as well. The #3 Corvette left the race with overheating problems just before 1AM this morning. The #4 Corvette was running third at the time and steadily moved up at daybreak taking the class lead. With less than 3 hours left the Corvette suffered a transmission problem and was forced to the garage. The crew replaced the gearbox and got the #4 back on the track to finish, but the were too far behind to make a comeback. They finished fifth in their class, behind the Porsche Factory team (1), BMW (2), Viper (3) and BMW (4). Next stop, Sebring, FL for the 'Fresh from Florida 12 Hours of Sebring.

Update on crash drivers:

Memo Gidley of the Gainsco Corvette DP, suffered a broken back and injuries to his left arm and left leg that required surgery after a horrific two-car crash Saturday less than three hours into the Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway. Matteo Malucelli, the other driver involved, was held overnight for evaluation and is resting comfortably. Malucelli drove the Ferrari 458 Italia for Risi Competizione.

For full results: http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-242455.html

Last edited:
Enjoyed the coverage of the 24. Looking forward to Sebring. Coach and I have made plans (Reservations and tickets, even) to swoop through Florida starting at Amelia Island concours and then meandering down to Sebring. We've been working on Rich, so hopefully three coming from Ohio. If/when someone starts a Sebring list, type us in.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom