Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

After market stereo

Appreciate the inputs, gentlemen. I think I found an installer that's willing to figure out how to do it retaining the factory trim/eucalyptus wood pieces. Will let you know how it works out....

This is from my install of a Kenwood unit 3 years ago. Still going strong, only thing that doesn't work is the radio station HUD

attachment.php

Cruise Control Not Working after new Double-DIN install...

Rexster et.al.,

Appreciate all your input on my, and other others', questions, very helpful. I finally did the stereo install with back-up camera and built-in radar detector, the works, I will post pictures...looks totally factory. And I took your advice and took out the old unit and amp and they put in an after market amp. But now everything works except my cruise control, which I am told is tied into the old amplifer that was in there, and they are saying you have to use the old amplifer to make the Cruise control work? Any input on that? You took out the old amplifier so what connections or retro-fit connections were made to allow the new amp to work with the cruise control? Dealer says that is the problem, as I had to take it there when I coukldn't figure it out on my own--but I was certain I used the cruise between the time of the install and when it was discovered to not be working...but not certain?

Last edited:
Can't help you. I didn't do the install, the stereo shop did it. I can tell you the parts, but they're listed in my old posting from 2016. The only thing that doesn't work is the HUD when changing radio stations.

Rexster et.al.,

Appreciate all your input on my, and other others', questions, very helpful. I finally did the stereo install with back-up camera and built-in radar detector, the works, I will post pictures...looks totally factory. And I took your advice and took out the old unit and amp and they put in an after market amp. But now everything works except my cruise control, which I am told is tied into the old amplifer that was in there, and they are saying you have to use the old amplifer to make the Cruise control work? Any input on that? You took out the old amplifier so what connections or retro-fit connections were made to allow the new amp to work with the cruise control? Dealer says that is the problem, as I had to take it there when I coukldn't figure it out on my own--but I was certain I used the cruise between the time of the install and when it was discovered to not be working...but not certain?

My install used the wiring harness adapter from Crutchfield (part of their install kit). This uses the factory amp, no aftemarket amps are used. My cruise control works normally.

disconnected my amp on one of my 08 models. cruise works fine. Not sure of the cruise running thru the amp. Where the electronic wizard ccclark to explain it to us all???

Same here. There was talk years ago about the CD player was integrated with the HUD, but the only thing the CD player does through the HUD is media playing and radio station info when changing stations. I don't miss that at all

I know I'm late to this thread but I was looking to replace the stock radio/CD unit in my '05 base but after reading and researching the options and going to the local high end car radio install guys (and their fairly reasonable - $850 - but still pricey option), decided I had nothing to lose to look into new tech FM transmitters. I found a Victsing (model BH346A) unit on Amazon for under $25. I'm a musician and have a large collection (plus wife is an avid Apple music member using unlimited download to the fullest). All this music is spread among an Ipad, flash drives, an I-phone and another tablet with a USB port. The Victsing unit accepts all those input formats (Bluetooth or wired) and has a USB port of its own. It also does hands free phone calls. I've had other, much older FM units and was not at all satisfied. I've only owned this thing for two days but so far, it's everything I could have hoped it would be. The sound quality is excellent for music both by wire and with a flash drive directly attached to the Victsing (it has a graphic equalizer of its own, coupled with the equalizer on the XLR). I haven't tried hands free phone calling except to test the unit in the driveway where the sound was clear and loud. I suspect it would be very difficult to use with the top down though. No, I didn't get navigation but we all have phones, right? As for the backup camera, I didn't think it was worth it to dissect the dashboard and lose the thermometer display, lose partial functionality on the HU display, and part of the aluminum trim around the existing radio (which these guys said they would have to remove and replace with black plastic - a point that made me wonder if they were as qualified as they said they were). Anyway, for a $25 experiment, so far, I'm very pleased. If it dies in two weeks, I'll let you know.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom