Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

anyone ever replace the license plate bulbs?

Yes 2 times cops made me take out BLUE LEDS I installed!
You need to drop the inner top trunk liner to get them. The socket is there but hard to get too so I remember just taking the whole plate loose! You replace the with white LEDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cops don't like blue lights on anything but their own.

They also don't like covers over your rear plate, even clear covers. I've been pulled over for. a cover on my Corvette and smart car but not a word about no fron plate on the Corvette of the XLR. I was stopped in the XLR yeaterday because the left rearplate light was out. There are two bulbs there so you can still see the plate. I got out and tapped the trunk above the bulb and it came back on. I was given a 10 minute verbal warning. :D

He was going to give me a "fix it" ticket but I just "fixed it" in front of him, that's when I had to listen to the 10 minute warning:laugh:

Old thread but I just did this so...

Noticed my license plate lights were out so I checked both fuse boxes and found no blown fuses. I found it odd that both bulbs were out at the same time, but come to find out they were. Here is how I replaced them.

1. Put your top down, the top in the trunk will expose the whole inner trunk liner.
2. I used a small straight blade screw driver to release the plastic pop fittings around the gray liner. There are some on the vertical part as well so give it a good look to remove them all.
3. Release the small "center brake light" sockets on either side of the now exposed steel plate by hand. This will allow the liner to come down.
4. I pulled down on the liner to get under and behind the liner to release the trunk switch housing using the same screw driver. Be patient so you do not brake the clips. Use the same technique to release the alignment housings on only one side (removing both is not required)
5. Roll down the liner until the license plate light bulb sockets are exposed, turn them counter clock wise and they come away, then just pull out the old and put in the new.
6. Assembly in reverse order, everything just pops back in no fuss. Easy now that I have done it once and know how the clips come away. Resist the urge to just pry out the switch. If you are patient and reach the small clips behind it will come out easily. Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers

Thanks for for the hint of putting the top down.

I have been in there and also the reverse lights, & the euro fog housing installing leds. Even made a cushioned proprod to hold the trunk lid open.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom