Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Anyone find a good aftermarket extended warranty for a V?

XLRATING

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)
In shopping around, most aftermarket extended warranties exclude "speciality" or "low production" models. The warranty we have for the base just more than paid for itself, but unfortunately the company specifically lists the XLR-V as something they do not cover

Anyone had any luck finding something halfway decent that will cover a XLR-V?

By the way, given my recent experience, I'm not really looking for opinions on whether such warranties are or are not rip offs generally - just whether there's one that's reasonable & that will cover V's.

I have Zurich and they have covered most repairs on my base. The only big ticket they haven't was when I had the trunk leak. But my service guy said Zurich would if it effected the top functions in the left side well of the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the few times I did not get an extended warranty for a complex vehicle, simply because neither my local Autonation franchise nor my credit union NOR USAA even, which will happily sell me a warranty for my (far more potentially expensive) G500, offer a warranty for "V" models. USAA DOES warranty the base.

The only possibly helpful item I can add is that one of the other cars I was considering was a 2007 S65 AMG. This is for all intents and purposes nearly a $200,000 car at retail. The Mercedes dealer (also part of the autonation network) in Houston WAS able to offer a warranty for this car where all the other usual suspects wouldn't. The company they used that said yes was EasyCare. Problem is, I don't know if EasyCare is only available through dealers with a vehicle purchase or not, but your thread just reminded me about it so I submitted this form to see what their rep says... I would have to think that if they'll take on an AMG Mercedes, a V Series XLR ought to be well within their scope (granted the S65 warranty was 5400.00, with good reason).

Get an EasyCare Extended Warranty Quote or Find an EasyCare Dealer

EasyCare has been around for a while. I remember dealerships offering their stuff years ago including the ding protection, tire protection and VIN etching services.

I purchased a contract from EasyCare at my local cadillac dealer last February. It is a 3 year / 36,000 mile contract which cost $3,988.00. Those limits were the most the company would sell me.
I was (am) paying for it monthly over the first year and a half, with a sizeable first payment.
I have an 06 - V.

Rusty 06-V

In shopping around, most aftermarket extended warranties exclude "speciality" or "low production" models. The warranty we have for the base just more than paid for itself, but unfortunately the company specifically lists the XLR-V as something they do not cover

Anyone had any luck finding something halfway decent that will cover a XLR-V?

By the way, given my recent experience, I'm not really looking for opinions on whether such warranties are or are not rip offs generally - just whether there's one that's reasonable & that will cover V's.

I purchased a contract from EasyCare at my local cadillac dealer last February. It is a 3 year / 36,000 mile contract which cost $3,988.00. Those limits were the most the company would sell me.
I was (am) paying for it monthly over the first year and a half, with a sizeable first payment.
I have an 06 - V.

Rusty 06-V

That's great news!

I wonder what their *lowest* term would be (I typically keep my cars around a year). I don't think they had 1 year /12000 miles for our G500. I think 2/24 was the lowest.

Hopefully they will contact me soon.

I posted this before, but here you go. (Integrity Automotive Protection, OEM):
through carchex.

they have paid twice, once for oil leak and next for failed top motor. I am happy with them.

The oem is the plan I chose of several, years and amount of coverage

Thanks all for the info - we ended up going with a Zurich warranty. Our dealer recommended it & thought highly of them, & from our recent good experience with warranty repairs on the base (using a USAA warranty), one of the really critical things seemed to be a good shop-warranty co. relationship. If there's mutual trust between those two, repairs can sail through. Zurich was pricier than some others we looked at, but still cost less than the oil leak repair job we just had done on the base so figured it was worth rolling the dice.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Zurich is only available through the dealer's F&I department from everything I can see on their website.

I did fill out the contact page on Carchex (and let me tell you they will NOT give up on calling you, but they don't leave any damn messages so for the longest time I had no idea it was them calling) and found their programs to have some attractive features. Their warranty is through a company called Royal Administration and the product is called "Royal Shield". Royal Administration seems to have rather mixed reviews online, some dealing with denied repairs, some dealing with used parts being used to complete the repair, but almost every warranty contract company has these types of reviews. At the end of the day, they exist to make a profit, not to give away repairs.

The "Titanium" warranty is really the only one that makes much sense to get, and for my V with 66000 miles the cost was $4,092.00 for a total of 4 years and I believe 100,000 total vehicle miles (I believe the lower policies were 48,000 additional total miles, even if they exceeded 100k. Titanium is *up to * 100k total).

I will detail what I believe are some of the key points of the Titanium warranty for other members here:

*This is an exclusionary policy. This means that aside from the excluded items, mostly wear and tear things, the policy is designed to mimic the original factory warranty, and yes, this includes the top components with the exception of the body panels themselves.

*Coverage continues to pay out until the NADA value of the car is reached. I don't remember if wholesale or retail, but in any case it is NOT "per component max" as many sneakier warranties are (i.e. transmission covered up to 2500.00 then your trans coverage is OVER).

*Finally, and this is what I believe to be MOST interesting regarding the Carchex product. They accept payment plans up to 24 months in length. Which would make the payment for the XLR-V about 170.60 per month. This is important because I informed the rep that I typically only keep my vehicles around a year and thus I was initially interested in finding out what the LEAST available coverage term was. For the record, they do NOT have a 1 year term or even a 2 year term for Titanium. However, what makes the payment plan interesting is that it is NOT credit. You are paying for the warranty almost as though it were INSURANCE rather than a prepaid product you are "paying off" or a revolving line of credit type thing (there is no credit check for the payment plans). This means that in a situation like mine, I could make the monthly payment and have the FULL benefit of the warranty coverage, yet to my understanding, I can still cancel the warranty and the payments within a year if I decide I don't want it anymore. It can ALSO be fully transferred to the next owner of the car and they can continue making those payments if they wish. I would think that if you'd had a 2500.00 repair before you'd paid 2500.00 into the warranty, you'd be on the hook to them for anything up to 4092.00 if you decide you want to cancel early, so it is important to still have clarification on this when you call in as I had to get off the phone and couldn't continue the discussion that day.

Also need to make a note to ask about their covered labor rate next time I speak to them. Some warranties offer Enhanced Labor Rate coverage since most car dealer-connected shops from domestic to import are now charging 100.00 or more per hour, and some warranties will limit the labor rate to like 65 an hour.

EDIT: They did actually send me sample contracts, here's some important excerpts. Looks like the total of covered repairs is $10,000 for the Carchex/Royal Administration product. So long as you do the monthly payment option, that's still better than squat (assuming they aren't a "Royal" pain in the rear about covering things).

LABOR:
Total labor time for a covered repair will be determined by a current nationally published labor manual. The
labor rate for authorized repairs will be based on the posted labor rate of the licensed repair facility that You selected.

If the repair facility’s labor rate is not posted the Administrator reserves the right to approve a labor rate based on the average labor rate for similar local repair facilities. Administrator also reserves the right to adjust the approved labor rate if the repair facility’s labor rate is deemed to be excessive by the Administrator when compared to local average labor rates for similar facilities.

LIMITS OF LIABILITY:
OUR liability for any one authorized repair
shall in no event exceed the greater of $10,000.00 or the actual cash value (ACV) of Your Vehicle at the time of said repair visit as listed in the National Automobile Dealers Association (N.A.D.A.) Official Used Car Guide for Your region (excluding tax, title, and license fees).

OUR liability for
all authorized repairs combined shall in no event exceed the greater of $10,000.00 or the
actual cash value (ACV) of Your Vehicle at the time of said repair visit as listed in the National Automobile Dealers Association official used car guide for your region.

It also states there is a 30 day, 1000 mile waiting period before repairs can be claimed.

Last edited:
I did have an issue with the carchex paying some of the labor. I don't know the reasoning for the initial declination, but it was for labor to bleed the top system after repair. I called and explained that if I had brakes put on they would most definitely need bled, why would the top not? and they did then ok the labor for the top. They answered quickly and were nice enough. A small nuisance, but all in all no big deal. They also had an adjuster ok the job, which seems reasonable enough to me considering that they have surely been abused over time. The first repair was done without an adjuster to my knowledge.

I read the reviews also of course and like any business online reviews will be both pro and con. My experience has been as good as I could expect.

Zurich is only available through the dealer's F&I department from everything I can see on their website.

It also states there is a 30 day, 1000 mile waiting period before repairs can be claimed.

Interestingly our dealer referred us to an independent used car dealer (used to be a Lincoln dealer & got downsized on) to get the Zurich. The seller used the technical term of Zurich will be "pi$$ed off" if you make a claim shortly after buying. Makes sense not to anyway, as most of these things exclude conditions existing at the time you buy, & a quick claim gives them an excuse to deny.

I'd also heard Carchex will call you to death.

After a lot of research, Warranty Direct appears to be the one giving warrant coverage almost exactly like the Cadillac Extended Warranty program that will not re-cover my 2006 XLR-V which now has 62,000 miles on the odometer. Warranty direct will cover it up to 5 more years and 144,000 miles.

My previous Cadillac Extended Warranty did not prove to be cost effective because of no significant problems. Consequently, after getting Warranty Direct quotes, I have decided to self insure.

Last edited:
After a lot of research, Warranty Direct appears to be the one giving warrant coverage almost exactly like the Cadillac Extended Warranty program that will not re-cover my 2006 XLR-V which now has 62,000 miles on the odometer. Warranty direct will cover it up to 5 more years and 144,000 miles.

My previous Cadillac Extended Warranty did not prove to be cost effective because of no significant problems. Consequently, after getting Warranty Direct quotes, I have decided to self insure.

How much did this coverage cost you and what is Warranty Direct's phone number/website address?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom