Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery just does not last

Jaxrwild

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum
How long can you let your car sit before the battery goes completely dead mine went dead after 2 days I think it's time for a new battery.my Corvette used to last about two weeks before the battery went dead I know there's a lot of stuff going on while it's sitting.

My XLR about 10 days.......my Viper only 5 to 7 days......my Vette, a couple of weeks. Learned long ago always keep non-daily drivers on a battery-tender 24/7 while sitting.

Parasitic drain power loss seems to be common issue with today's multiple computer module cars, especially ones with key-less entry feature.

If your XLR is garaged and locked you can after getting out of your XLR push the unlock button and the doors will be unlocked and the alarm will not be activated thus not drawing current. This has worked for me on all my Corvettes with passive entry system.

Mine does not and neither did my 2006 Zo6 Vett your overriding the passive system when you push the unlock button twice. This info i got from a Corvette engineer back in 1994 when i was still working for Engineering. Actually you could do this as early as 1993 when Corvettes started using the passive system and i did it on my 1994 ZR-1.

You're saying that if I press the unlock button twice on a key fob it will override the passive security system correct

Yes the doors will be unlocked but more important is the alarm will be off.

There are several articles on the forum dealing with this problem. Get yourself an Optima or Odyssey battery and your troubles will be over

Rexster314, My car is always on a battery tender. When I get home it gets plugged in , if only for a day. Based on that how ofter do you feel these batteries need to be changed.
John F.

I usually keep it on a tender but for three days I was using it everyday and I didn't think I needed to plug it in when I was using it everyday

A Battery Tender PLUS model is a good investment. I use 3 of them and plug-in to non-daily cars. They only charge when

their is a need, and automatically shut-off internally after battery is fully charged.

I've used Battery Tenders and Battery Minders for years on anything I didn't use daily. If I had a battery that only lasted 2 days I would replace it. In Jaxrwild's case I don't think a Battery Tender is the answer. Replacement is.

A new battery should last 4 or 5 years if maintained properly; by that I mean only using, DISTILLED WATER ONLY!, adding it as needed, and keeping the connections clean! If you ever get any sign of acid on the connections, or on the battery itself, wash it off with a little Baking Soda mixed with water. Baking soda is an acid neutralizer.

Most batteries nowadays are sealed therefore no water of any kind needed, nor is there any acid escaping when the battery gets hot

pure zen, I am on your program. When I am away for the winter all three of our cars at home are on Battery tenders. Two of those cars are toys and are always on tenders.
John F.

Take it from an 82 year old that has always done his own repairs on his cars since he was 18 years old! Part of the problem with batteries is that you CAN'T ADD WATER!! I have 4 classic cars, 3 with 6 volt batteries, and one with a Delco 12 volt, and I can add water to any one of them, and they last 3-5 years! Batteries that are sealed go bad sooner and more frequently because the acid level goes down as the fumes vent out and that ruins them. You can get 12 volt batteries that water can be added to!! I know I have that Delco in my 57 Corvette!! I never buy a "sealed "battery for any of my cars, only for my flashlights; the AAA, AA, C and D cells!

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back