Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! Battery Tender

Bakertech

Seasoned Member
For those of you who park your XLR's for the Winter Months, this may be of interest.
If you already have a pricey Battery Tender, don't bother reading further.

I use a 12VDC 3-500 ma (1/2 Amp or less) to maintain batteries of cars in storage. It worked for decades with previous Corvettes. I have a 1 Amp (1000ma) one that I also use. This low Amperage will not harm a good battery and takes care of parasitic battery drain. A couple small alligator clamps (red and black) and you are in business. Be very sure Red is on the Positive Output.

I also leave the hood open slightly and propped there just in case..........

I have installed a #4 red lead from my Battery to the front valance if I have to get connected to a serious Battery Charger and am locked out. Negative from a point on the Front suspension (vertical stud end just above the bend in anti-sway bar. It can take overnight to charge a dead battery at 2 Amps. Always verify the connections.
Less trouble than the trunk route for me.

The Class 2 Transformers come from various pieces of electrical equipment and likely you have a drawer full of them. Voltage and Output is clearly marked. Be sure that it is a DC transformer.
Usually there is a diagram showing + and - but you can find it with most Volt Meters. It will read Negative (-) with a digital meter so note which terminal is Positive (reverse the leads so reading is upscale (+) and mark it with red tape or sweeties nail polish. IF you short out these little transformers they are instant Junk. I cut the plugs off and wire the clamps to the leads.

I have no luck trying to include a photo here, but I will try.
Nope. Does not work for me.

...Thanks Rob for the help...
Small size Transformer.jpg
Regards
Gord.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors