Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Bluetooth Afer Market Add On

Army Al

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR V InfraRed/Shale 18.5K mi 11/28/14
I have a 2006 XLR V model. Is there any after market product that can add on Bluetooth capability? Couldn't find the answer in this forum.

+1 on the Kinovo unit. I really like mine. I used the Ray Kawai AUX1F adapter. It is A2DP capable allowing music to be played through your stock audio system automatically muting the music for either phone calls or turn by turn GPS directions. I was impressed when I was able to make a call with the top down. This worked well for most things and was less than $100 for both. I added a low cost line amp to increase the volume available for those top down, highway, rock and roll sessions :cool:

Last edited:
GPS with Bluetooth for XLR

I have a 2006 XLR V model. Is there any after market product that can add on Bluetooth capability? Couldn't find the answer in this forum.

Garmin makes several GPS units that have Bluetooth capability. I have a Garmin NUVI 265W GPS that has Bluetooth capabilities where I can use it for hands free cell phone use. Go on eBay or Amazon.com where the cost is very reasonable.

Bluestar by Costar

Has anyone done the change from OnStar to this other Bluetooth friendly system? The are providing all the diagrams and info for replacing the OnStar system with their module and claim it is simple, seamless and works with all of the internal functions already in the vehicle. They quoted $279 for the unit. Anybody have experience with this?

Has anyone done the change from OnStar to this other Bluetooth friendly system? The are providing all the diagrams and info for replacing the OnStar system with their module and claim it is simple, seamless and works with all of the internal functions already in the vehicle. They quoted $279 for the unit. Anybody have experience with this?

Run away from the Costar system. I had one and it failed miserably. Poor audio quality, drained the battery, had to be unplugged to reset (which needed to be done a lot), expensive.

I ended up giving it away.

The system described above is MUCH better and less than half the price. It is just as easy to install as the Costar system. The big difference is one uses the XM input and the other the Onstar. I listen to music stored in my phone which is better audio quality than XM. This way also allows for navigation/phone calls to auto mute the music.

Run away from the Costar system. I had one and it failed miserably. Poor audio quality, drained the battery, had to be unplugged to reset (which needed to be done a lot), expensive.

I ended up giving it away.

The system described above is MUCH better and less than half the price. It is just as easy to install as the Costar system. The big difference is one uses the XM input and the other the Onstar. I listen to music stored in my phone which is better audio quality than XM. This way also allows for navigation/phone calls to auto mute the music.

Thanks Phrede; BTW....nice car! The system that you described actually replaces OnStar, is that correct? I really don't need OnStar and am ****ed about being charged 50 cents a minute for airtime that would be FREE on my cell phone! Does the unit that you mentioned plug into the same cables that go into the OnStar system?

Thanks for your help.

Kenn

Thanks Phrede; BTW....nice car! The system that you described actually replaces OnStar, is that correct? I really don't need OnStar and am ****ed about being charged 50 cents a minute for airtime that would be FREE on my cell phone! Does the unit that you mentioned plug into the same cables that go into the OnStar system?

Thanks for your help.

Kenn

Thanks.

No, the system I currently use replaces the XM. There is a more detailed thread in the link provided by ccclark above.

It is plug and play but into the XM module not the OnStar. You can see where I mounted the control unit thru my steering wheel. 2014_07_24--11_39_433892.jpg

There is an interface available that has a switch that lets you select XM or Bluetooth. I did not go that way because I don't use XM.

You basically order the Kinovo unit and the interface separately, but it all is compatible and plugs in. I got the Kinovo from Amazon and the interface is made by Ray Kawai.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom