Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cam position sensor location

joaustin

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue
I have an engine code for the cam position sensor and the engine began to have a rough idle. Can anyone tell me where and how many cam position sensors there are and their location?

I believe you'll find that you have 4 of them -- two on each head. They're roughly circular, and about 2.5-3" in diameter, on the top/front of each head. They have small wires going in/out of them. Check to make sure the wires are secure, and not leaking oil. It's a common location for weepy oil leaks.

FWIW

Tim

I have an engine code for the cam position sensor and the engine began to have a rough idle. Can anyone tell me where and how many cam position sensors there are and their location?

I believe you'll find that you have 4 of them -- two on each head. They're roughly circular, and about 2.5-3" in diameter, on the top/front of each head. They have small wires going in/out of them. Check to make sure the wires are secure, and not leaking oil. It's a common location for weepy oil leaks.

FWIW

Tim
Thank You found them and cleaned them now that code cleared up and now one showed up that is worded strange it reads just like this PO315 Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned. Does that mean I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor or does it have a programming issue. But there is a definite miss when the car idles.

Good news on fixing the cam position code. I'm not familiar with the Tech-II, so I don't know if it has a "learn" facility, when it comes to the crank position. It seems that there has to be some way to do that. Sure would explain the rough running, if the timing's hit or miss. :chuckle

Anyone with a Tech-II wanna chime in here?

Tim

Thank You found them and cleaned them now that code cleared up and now one showed up that is worded strange it reads just like this PO315 Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned. Does that mean I need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor or does it have a programming issue. But there is a definite miss when the car idles.

joaustin,
I sent you a PM...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BussMan,
There is a CKP System Variation Learn procedure....
I'm just having problems posting attachments or pics thru tapatalk....I could send it thru regular email, if joaustin or you still need it...just pm me your email addy....ras

I'm glad to hear that there is a way to "learn" this CKP info. I'm woefully ignorant of the Tech 2 capabilities, but it did seem likely that such a procedure existed.

I'm thankful (time-of-year comment) that my "Daphne" is running like a watch [knocking wood as I type]. I do hope it helps "joaustin" out, tho.

Thanks for chiming in. :thumbsup

Tim

BussMan,
There is a CKP System Variation Learn procedure....
I'm just having problems posting attachments or pics thru tapatalk....I could send it thru regular email, if joaustin or you still need it...just pm me your email addy....ras

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back