Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! CANNOT PLAN A ROUTE ON GPS..

JW7

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black XLR.... 2001 DTS...2009 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET
Hi all...GPS shows location on map..moves as I drive, etc.. but I am unable to plan a route..I enter all the info in as to address and it shows up fine, but when I push the final enter button to start the route to get to the next screen..it goes no where...do same to enter a home address to save and after all data is in, I hit enter...goes no where..
I called GM and was told I was doing everything correctly to get to a route so they suggested I get to dealer to see if there is any software update or even a possible reset...
Called Caddy dealership and he thought I was in the wrong zone which I checked and have correct for my region...He thought if GPS is working except for route planning...not a software issue but hardware issue..
would appreciate any insight...thanks..J

If the software operated correctly before, and after resetting the system, isn't controlling the hardware properly now, that points to a hardware issue.

Since there isn't a Route Guidance software troubleshooting tree, the malfunction will likely be treated as a hardware problem and a dealer would install a new infotainment module to determine if this corrects the problem. Sounds expensive to say the least. For that kind of money, if you plan to keep the car, it might be worth considering a complete infotainment system upgrade.

The XLR's system has proven to be more reliable than Cadillac's CUE system, which has a pretty dismal failure rate between faceplates that crack and HMI modules that seem to have a warranty expiration date-enable fuse embedded in them. As nice as CUE is, it cannot be upgraded to the newest (hardware) version via GM dealerships. The XLR's simple (but very high-tech at the time of it's introduction) infotainment system doesn't wipe out most of the vehicle's presets if it fails, unlike CUE.

CC :wave:

Thanks as usual for your insight ,ccclarke...I do have extended warrantee coverage for any factory installed unit as this ,but not even sure of availability of part ..I know technology is older so I have been looking into the possibility of upgrading the entire unit but cant find anyone so far willing to go the extra mile to get it right in this car...They dont want to mess with any of the electronics and lack of any aftermarket products..Apparently they are not the ones to go to..so my quest continues

If you're looking at online resources for a replacement infotainment unit, you won't find it. If you're having a trusted stereo store looking at replacements they won't find it. The XLR is sort of a hybrid as far as the infotainment unit goes and unless they've done it before, most shops rely just on their catalog listings as to what works for a car. Unfortunately, XLR vehicles are not listed. Last summer I took the leap after reading extensively on this forum that it would be and is possible to replace the stock unit with something that has some oompf to it.

Instead of repeating myself, look at this link to a post I made last summer. Everything you need to know on how to replace the stock unit with an updated head unit is there. Most of it is plug and play, but there are several wires that need to be jumped so the speakers can work properly, but there is a diagram to show how to do it. I had a good stereo shop that was willing to work with me, following the suggestions in this link. I drove out of their shop about 5 hours later with a Garmin NAV system, HD radio, backup camera, Android Auto capable/Apple Car Play capable, bluetooth,usb capable infotainment system that still works with OnStar.

Kenwood DNX893S in the XLR

Hi Rexster314..I am figuring will have difficulty finding original unit......
The info on your install is great ...thought I read somewhere that some part of original unit needs to still be in car ..placed somewhere in rear ..Is that true in your case?..Also, cant find the wiring diagram or APP RADIO thread..Do you have a link
Appreciate the help...J

Hi Rexster314..I am figuring will have difficulty finding original unit......
The info on your install is great ...thought I read somewhere that some part of original unit needs to still be in car ..placed somewhere in rear ..Is that true in your case?..Also, cant find the wiring diagram or APP RADIO thread..Do you have a link
Appreciate the help...J

There is no wiring diagram except for the jumpers to enable the speakers, which is the last post in my thread. Do a search for APP radio there are several posts. Nope, nothing left over from original unit. The only thing you lose is the head up display for radio stations when you change stations. Small loss. An installer using the parts list will know how to use them. There's no cutting/splicing except for the speaker jumps

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom