Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cell phone mount project

Oidar

I just finished adding a phone mount, and not having seen much similar posted on the subject, I thought I’d throw this out there in case someone’s interested.

I used the mount from ProClip which was the only one I could find specifically for XLRs.
2006 Cadillac XLR Dashboard Mounts | ProClip USA

I added a ball mount from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLYWA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a QI wireless charging base also from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9FYBMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I chose this particular one because it had sufficient grip to hold my iPhone X with a thick battery case. It came with a short cable which is mostly hidden but I will hard wire it behind the dash at some point.

I already had the low profile lighter adapter with 2 USB ports, again from our friends at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So overall I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, and altogether, I’ve got less than $100 bucks in the project. I’m not crazy about it partially covering the A/C vent, but everything’s a trade-off, right?

I hope someone else finds this useful. :thumbsup

Attachments

• 3C52B55D-570D-4172-959D-7233B844ED54.jpg
    3C52B55D-570D-4172-959D-7233B844ED54.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 42B5283A-CCCD-4B22-992B-A4E3731D7AC3.jpg
    42B5283A-CCCD-4B22-992B-A4E3731D7AC3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 356
  • 57FB3DD9-86F0-4AE7-B248-72724F132054.jpg
    57FB3DD9-86F0-4AE7-B248-72724F132054.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 381
  • E3F1A66B-B290-4B4F-BC97-B8630AED9163.jpg
    E3F1A66B-B290-4B4F-BC97-B8630AED9163.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 322
If it works for you that's great. I just don't care for mounts that block a/c vents. Since I replaced my original radio/nav unit, the CD slot is just an open space. I bought one of those phone holders that slide in and lock in the slot. It works very well, but had a little vibration I couldn't alleviate. Nowadays I use on of those double sided sticky gel pads on the console that suits my purpose. Out of the way from every control, phone easy to pick up if needed. Because the stuff is so sticky, it attracts dust like crazy, but a run under soap and water puts it like new every so often.

If it works for you that's great. I just don't care for mounts that block a/c vents. Since I replaced my original radio/nav unit, the CD slot is just an open space. I bought one of those phone holders that slide in and lock in the slot. It works very well, but had a little vibration I couldn't alleviate. Nowadays I use on of those double sided sticky gel pads on the console that suits my purpose. Out of the way from every control, phone easy to pick up if needed. Because the stuff is so sticky, it attracts dust like crazy, but a run under soap and water puts it like new every so often.

Hi Rex,

Until I replace my head unit, I’m still using my CD player, plus, a phone mounted there would block the Nav screen which I consider unacceptable. Personally I hate those sticky gooey mounts and suction cups just don’t look like they belong on a luxury car the cost $70k new.

But, as my old boss used to say “Everyone to their own notion said the lady as she kissed the cow”.

I was was asked by a lady on Facebook if this would work in a 2004 XLR. I searched the ProClip website and found they offer a different model mount for ‘04 that’s much more out of the way, and I actually like it a lot better. I’m going to do some research. If it’ll work, & I switch, I’ll post an update.

Angled Dash Mount | ProClip USA

i appreciate your input in any case. Different points of view are why I’m here. I love getting ideas and seeing how other owners deal with things.

Thanks, Gene

Take the insert out of the center council that's too small for real cups, you will end up with a larger square long cubby hole now that you can use a suction cup phone holder in. You still have room for one cup in front of it too.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom