Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Check engins light

hdduane

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven XLR
I have two questions.

1. My check engine came on after I replaced my air intake. My XLR runs great but I dont like to ignore the light. I took my XLR to autozone to have the code read, but their reader would not link up to the ECM to read the fault. I took the car through emissions about two months ago and they didn't have a problem reading the emissions using the ODL2 port under the steering wheel. Do I need to take it to a dealer to have the code read with a tech2?

2. I've read alot about having your ECM re flashed, but don't know how to do it. Can anyone tell me if I can do it myself or where I can have it done?

Thanks for your help:cool:

1. Check your mass airflow sensor. Clean as required. You didn't specify what kind of "air box" you installed, but seeing as how that was the last thing you did before the CEL illuminated. . .
2. There are dozens of posts explaining why Autozone is of limited use when reading codes with this car. If the MAF is cleaned and you don't want to wait for the requisite ignition cycles to extinguish the light, ( if that is indeed the cause) have your dealer diagnose /clear the code.

CCC :wave:

Leaks?

One other thing that crops up when folks mess with the air intake (besides the MAF sensor), is leakage. A loose or too tight clamp, or bad fit can cause an air leak (remember, it's sucking air through there) that tends to provide more air than the engine is expecting, when the leak is between the MAF and the engine.

Worth checking.

Tim

Some air filters are saturated with oil and get into your MAF. If this is the case, you will need to clean the air filter with a solvent before cleaning the MAF.

Dave

Check engine light

I built the cold air intake myself using 3 in Spectre parts. I checked everything for leaks and everything looks ok. I cleaned the MAF sensor and did find a small leaf in it. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out using a tech2 and as soon as I find out how to have the ECM re flashed I plan to have that done next. I have only had my XLR for about 3 1/2 months so far and other than a few minor issues that need to be taken card of, my XLR has become one of my all time favorite cars.:cool:

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• CAM00190.jpg
    CAM00190.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
That looks like a pretty small filter to replace the stock units.. Don't the after market units have a y and 2 filters?

You could be reducing what the intake/MAF is expecting, causing the CEL to illuminate. The Volant air intake upgrade looks like this:

CCC :wave:

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 316
I am finally convinced and installed a Volant Cold Air Intake today. They did not list one for a 2004 XLR so I just ordered one for a 2005 XLR.

CAM00240.jpg
Thanks for all the Info. :cool:

Hurray! now that I installed the Volant CAI in place of the DIY CAI using Spectre parts that I built for myself, the check engine light went off by its self. So thanks to everyone. It goes to prove that what has worked in the past, still works.
I guess the engine wasn't getting enough air. :dunno:

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry