Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Console noise at startup

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
We're all familiar with the subtle buzzes, ticks & whrrr's that occur when we enter our vehicles as the normal electronic systems prepare for action. However, I've noticed of late that upon cranking up I get a steady "ticking" noise from behind the console (nav/radio area). It consists of a 3-4 second interval, ever-so-slight pause... then repeats for 3 or 4 sequences... before silencing. This will occur each time I crank the car. There appears to be no adverse issues (to this point) as everything works fine... and will not occur again until the next startup.

Has anyone else experienced this or similar? Are there suggestions as to why this may be occurring? Thanks! :dunno:

We're all familiar with the subtle buzzes, ticks & whrrr's that occur when we enter our vehicles as the normal electronic systems prepare for action. However, I've noticed of late that upon cranking up I get a steady "ticking" noise from behind the console (nav/radio area). It consists of a 3-4 second interval, ever-so-slight pause... then repeats for 3 or 4 sequences... before silencing. This will occur each time I crank the car. There appears to be no adverse issues (to this point) as everything works fine... and will not occur again until the next startup.

Has anyone else experienced this or similar? Are there suggestions as to why this may be occurring? Thanks! :dunno:

I'm pretty sure what you're hearing is the cd changer indexing its contents. It does so upon start up every time. I know this because it's an item that I had to have replaced soon after acquiring my XLR. I'm not sure why it's so active, but if that is the noise your hearing it's normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try removing all of the CDs in the changer and see if the noise changes or goes away.

If that doesn't do anything, remove the navigation DVD as well and see if anything changes.

CC :wave:

It appears Rule62 is right about the CD changer. I attempted to load one and it wouldn't accept it. Pressed the "LOAD" button and it cycled through and returned the message "CD ERROR". The "EJECT" button didn't release any CD's, although I really don't believe I've ever inserted one. I tested the DVD slot once and it worked, but I generally always listen to Sirius/XM or terrestrial radio.

The only reason for the post, actually, is that the 3-4 increments of "ticking cycles" is relatively new... noticed within the last month. I'll remove the map DVD and see if there is any change.

May wind up chalking it up to "bad timing", as my extended warranty expired only a few weeks ago...:(

It appears Rule62 is right about the CD changer. I attempted to load one and it wouldn't accept it. Pressed the "LOAD" button and it cycled through and returned the message "CD ERROR". The "EJECT" button didn't release any CD's, although I really don't believe I've ever inserted one. I tested the DVD slot once and it worked, but I generally always listen to Sirius/XM or terrestrial radio.

The only reason for the post, actually, is that the 3-4 increments of "ticking cycles" is relatively new... noticed within the last month. I'll remove the map DVD and see if there is any change.

May wind up chalking it up to "bad timing", as my extended warranty expired only a few weeks ago...:(

Sorry to hear that. The "CD ERROR" message is the kiss of death, I'm afraid. Mine was replaced under warranty by hr dealer for $850. I'm sure you can do it for less the half that yourself.

Nav Disk removed with no effect on CD Changer. All buttons on CD display are "greyed out" except "LOAD". Pressing the LOAD button simply forces it to cycle through the usual progression as of late, and the CD at the slot is not accepted. Any further suggestions? Many thanks for your assistance. Otherwise, I suppose it's not that big of a loss for me... although I always like things to be available if they're supposed to be... especially with this vehicle!

Last edited:
When we bought ours in Oct '15, the CD player was inop the same as yours now. I got tired of it and the outdated NAV so I upgraded to a new Kenwood unit. Best thing I ever did to this car, including the backup camera I now have

When we bought ours in Oct '15, the CD player was inop the same as yours now. I got tired of it and the outdated NAV so I upgraded to a new Kenwood unit. Best thing I ever did to this car, including the backup camera I now have

Hey Rexster, which model Kenwood did you install? Did you replace the cd changer? Did you have to cut anything to install the new unit?

Thanks~

Hey Rexster, which model Kenwood did you install? Did you replace the cd changer? Did you have to cut anything to install the new unit?

Thanks~

Here's the thread regarding my swapping out the head units. This will answer all your questions. Kenwood 893s, took out the old changer, nothing cut

Kenwood DNX893S in the XLR

Thanks~

Here's the thread regarding my swapping out the head units. This will answer all your questions. Kenwood 893s, took out the old changer, nothing cut

Kenwood DNX893S in the XLR

One final question regarding the CD player portion of our entertainment systems:

Since my CD player appears to be toast, is there a way to disconnect only it to prevent the "sorta irritating" 10 seconds of cycling that occurs each start up? Everything else works (thus far) and I'm not ready to invest in having the entire unit replaced just to gain CD function that I never use. Of course, I'd prefer to not have to remove the unit from the dash, either ; ). Thought that some of you out there may know of an alternative. Thanks!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom