Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

convertable top not working rite

bajarick60

2004 XLR
First let me say the car was on battery tender over winter months. Pulled the car out of storage washed and waxed it. I was putting top down and stop it half way to clean inside of back window, then I went to put it all the way down and it didn't work rite from then on. It seems like it word stop then start working after releasing the button a couple of times. After the top went completely up I tried it again to go through the down position it went really slow but it did go down finally. So I put it back up and left it alone. Could it be out of cycle time being I stop it half way to clean the window ? Any ideas ?

If you can find time to make a non-stop drive of about 50 miles or so, chances are that the top might "reset" itself. That happened to me when I got the windows tinted and had the top halfway up so the tinter could get to the back window. Trunk stopped working altogether. Made an appt with the Caddy dealer about 60 miles away from me. Drove in the dealer's drive, service writer came out, I started operating the top and it worked perfectly, both up and down, trunk came back to working. Although I paid a diagnostic fee to re-learn the top, both the tech and service writer agreed that the 60 mile drive I did reset the folding top module. It can't hurt anything and anytime you get a chance to drive the car makes it even better.

Also, you are not supposed to stop in the middle of the Folding Top Operation...a lot of folks on the forum, including myself, did the same Hong as you, in order to clean that back window.
Just keep your finger on it the entire cycle....chime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, you are not supposed to stop in the middle of the Folding Top Operation...a lot of folks on the forum, including myself, did the same Hong as you, in order to clean that back window.
Just keep your finger on it the entire cycle....chime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for the help .
Rick

There is no harm to be done by stopping the top in mid-cycle. In fact, this is a step in many factory Service procedures, when performing alignments and measurements.

That being said, if the vehicle is coming out of hibernation, it's prudent to cycle the Folding Top through two or three complete cycles to ensure all of the Position Sensor values are sending predictable numbers to the Folding Top Control module.

If prepping the car for the Spring driving season, don't forget to verify the drain line is clear in the left/rear trunk compartment. Lube the mechanical top mechanisms, and put silicon grease or a similar substitute on the rubber top seals, including the one above the windshield. These cars aren't getting any younger and seals deteriorate over time.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
I think stopping it in mid air is not a problem, then continuing the cycle, but it's when it's stopped in mid air and left there for (in my case) 20 minutes or more is where you run into problems (as I did)

Try re-indexing the Windows. Hold both passenger and driver window buttons down and when they stop hold 5 sec. Then hold both up and when they stop, hold for 5 sec. That may reset the top operation. Like others have said, you may have to do a relearn or take a 50 mile drive. I would opt for the drive if it is a nice sunny day. We had a dusting of snow on the Deck this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try re-indexing the Windows. Hold both passenger and driver window buttons down and when they stop hold 5 sec. Then hold both up and when they stop, hold for 5 sec. That may reset the top operation. Like others have said, you may have to do a relearn or take a 50 mile drive. I would opt for the drive if it is a nice sunny day. We had a dusting of snow on the Deck this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok thanks

convertible top not working

Hi just want to say thanks to everyone for all the information but I decided to take the car in for a complete service today and let them check out the top too.
When I drove the car in I ack the service manager to try the top to lower it and see what happens,well the long flap behind the head rest went up then the trunk raised a half inch then closed we heard it trying to raise again and we stopped when it didn't because he didn't want anything to go wrong any further. Then he pressed the button in opposit position to lock top down. The information center read top not locked so we stopped, that long flap behind the head rest still in up position. I'm hoping the top just needs relearned.....The xlr Tec will work on it tomarrow. So I will keep my fingers crossed that's all it is. All idea's are greatly appreciated....
Feel free too give any ideas...

Last edited:
Hi just want to say thanks to everyone for all the information but I decided to take the car in for a complete service today and let them check out the top too.
When I drove the car in I ack the service manager to try the top to lower it and see what happens,well the long flap behind the head rest went up then the trunk raised a half inch then closed we heard it trying to raise again and we stopped when it didn't because he didn't want anything to go wrong any further. Then he pressed the button in opposit position to lock top down. The information center read top not locked so we stopped, that long flap behind the head rest still in up position. I'm hoping the top just needs relearned.....The xlr Tec will work on it tomarrow. So I will keep my fingers crossed that's all it is. All idea's are greatly appreciated....
Feel free too give any ideas...

Well they found the problem, hydraulic arm leaking on the top,never seen any fluid leaking, it leaked in side of compartment.
That's a 1000.00 repair..

Hi,

You might check out Top Hydraulics. They will rebuild all your cylinders and your pump (if needed). The Website is https www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/

My XLR top ran slowly, and then quit halfway through the down cycle. Now the pump is being packed to be sent to these folks.:)

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't take the XLR to Cadillac dealers for repairs anymore.

This car was designed more than 15 years ago, some of the Corvette based parts, even longer ago.

Modern Chevrolet and Buicks have far more complicated technology in them.

There's no reason to spend the additional shop expense using a Cadillac repair shop IMHO.

I personally wouldn't take the XLR to Cadillac dealers for repairs anymore.

This car was designed more than 15 years ago, some of the Corvette based parts, even longer ago.

Modern Chevrolet and Buicks have far more complicated technology in them.

There's no reason to spend the additional shop expense using a Cadillac repair shop IMHO.

For the most part, I agree. My local mechanic is very good with my XLR, r/r the radiator, replacing a wire connecting to the ABS left front wheel, but was no help with the folding top problem. His diagnostic tool (not a TechII) didn't have the ability to drill down to the folding top relearn that the TechII has. So off to the dealer I went. When the window regulator went south on the driver's side, it went to the dealer cause the local guy doesn't like to mess with aftermarket warranty work. Paid my $100 deductible and I was back up running again the same day. I think there's a place for good old local mechanic work and then there's times for the dealership.

For the most part, I agree. My local mechanic is very good with my XLR, r/r the radiator, replacing a wire connecting to the ABS left front wheel, but was no help with the folding top problem. His diagnostic tool (not a TechII) didn't have the ability to drill down to the folding top relearn that the TechII has. So off to the dealer I went. When the window regulator went south on the driver's side, it went to the dealer cause the local guy doesn't like to mess with aftermarket warranty work. Paid my $100 deductible and I was back up running again the same day. I think there's a place for good old local mechanic work and then there's times for the dealership.

If I learned anything about these cars is to make sure you have a XLR Tec at your dealership to work on them.
It's the same with my Benz and it's getting that way with the corvette...

If I learned anything about these cars is to make sure you have a XLR Tec at your dealership to work on them.
It's the same with my Benz and it's getting that way with the corvette...

I'm pretty sure most of the Caddy dealers don't have an actual certified XLR tech anymore. Too many mechanics float around from dealership to dealership. I'm sure there are some that can actually work on an XLR, but at least 7 years has gone by since the XLR was dropped. Some mechanics would have been through 3 or more different dealers by now.

Techs have to take their skills somewhere. Good news for anyone near Hartford. Scranton Motors has three XLR techs on site. They get a lot of owners needing service from the Boston area and have a good reputation.

CC :wave:

I'm pretty sure most of the Caddy dealers don't have an actual certified XLR tech anymore. Too many mechanics float around from dealership to dealership. I'm sure there are some that can actually work on an XLR, but at least 7 years has gone by since the XLR was dropped. Some mechanics would have been through 3 or more different dealers by now.

Sorry for your bad luck .
I have two Cadillac dealers with in 20 miles and each one has two xlr tecs.

A BIG +

Even better yet,,, we [metro PHX area] have a certified XLR tech who owns his own independent repair facility, who doesn't charge full retail on GM parts, and less on labor rate. Also services the many area Allantes / Corvettes / and other GM models. I haven't needed him yet to work on our XLR or the Corvette...........but knowing he is only five minutes away provides peace of mind.

p z

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back