Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Convertible Top Troubles

wandrews2004

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray XLR
When I lower the top to the down position everything works as it should. When I raise the top to the closed position the Quarter glass' (small windows attached to the roof) don't return all of the way to their proper position. I have to manually push them inward or they will catch on the w/strip channels and impede top closing. Anybody else experienced this problem? Any fix?

The small windows do have adjustment. It is odd that they are both out of whack, leads me to believe something else in the top system is not right. I would look at all the rotational/moveable points on the top to make sure everything is good. To adjust them you have to take the interior cover material off them and you will see the adjustment screws/arms. They are more visible with the top halfway open/closed. It is a trial and error fix, just take your time and figure out which way each adjustment takes the window and make small changes until they fit correctly. Also check to make sure the weatherstrip they fit into on the body is in the correct place and not damaged/moved. You will be running the top up and down alot so make sure you have a battery charger on the car.

Great advise from BeardBros on adjusting the windows. Go in small increments. It is always best to cycle the top with the car running! It runs the battery down fairly quickly otherwise.

If you have access to a Tech II tool the first thing I would always do is a top relearn. It's non-invasive, and these cars are all getting older, I'm guessing a re-learn is in everyone's future some day.

Your issue does sound like more than a re-learn can fix, but if you can do it with a friend's Tech II or for free it's a good first step IMHO.

Convertible Top Re-learn

If you have access to a Tech II tool the first thing I would always do is a top relearn. It's non-invasive, and these cars are all getting older, I'm guessing a re-learn is in everyone's future some day.

Your issue does sound like more than a re-learn can fix, but if you can do it with a friend's Tech II or for free it's a good first step IMHO.

Did a re-learn yesterday with a Tech 2. Did not solve the problem. No error codes stored either. I'm pretty sure I need to adjust the windows, just not sure how to accomplish that without a lot of unnecessary drama. Saw a forum yesterday that said there is an instructional DVD available, just not where to get one.

Did a re-learn yesterday with a Tech 2. Did not solve the problem. No error codes stored either. I'm pretty sure I need to adjust the windows, just not sure how to accomplish that without a lot of unnecessary drama. Saw a forum yesterday that said there is an instructional DVD available, just not where to get one.

A TECHII is almost useless without a shop manual when trying to diagnose some problems

Quarter window adjustment

The small windows do have adjustment. It is odd that they are both out of whack, leads me to believe something else in the top system is not right. I would look at all the rotational/moveable points on the top to make sure everything is good. To adjust them you have to take the interior cover material off them and you will see the adjustment screws/arms. They are more visible with the top halfway open/closed. It is a trial and error fix, just take your time and figure out which way each adjustment takes the window and make small changes until they fit correctly. Also check to make sure the weatherstrip they fit into on the body is in the correct place and not damaged/moved. You will be running the top up and down alot so make sure you have a battery charger on the car.

I removed the trim and found 3 screws on each side. I adjusted the windows inward as far as the adjustment slots allow and it's better, but still catches slightly on both sides. I may try to
elongate the adjustment slots slightly to get more range, but for now, at least I can pull in on each window and then continue to secure the top with the power button.

You can also check the weatherstrip that they fall into. It has an internal metal support that could be bent and causing fitment issues. See if you can open up the channel on them to see if the glass will fit better. If the top has been going down and pushing the glass on the wrong spot of those weatherstrips on the quarter they are for sure misaligned.

Sounds like you might have slightly bent arms on this. There's another thread somewhere on the site I believe they had to "nudge" them back into place. That wouldn't be something outside of normal repair methods for vehicle repair, but it's probably something you would really want the GM manual for. I wouldn't modify the adjustment slots.

I removed the trim and found 3 screws on each side. I adjusted the windows inward as far as the adjustment slots allow and it's better, but still catches slightly on both sides. I may try to
elongate the adjustment slots slightly to get more range, but for now, at least I can pull in on each window and then continue to secure the top with the power button.

Sounds like you might have slightly bent arms on this. There's another thread somewhere on the site I believe they had to "nudge" them back into place. That wouldn't be something outside of normal repair methods for vehicle repair, but it's probably something you would really want the GM manual for. I wouldn't modify the adjustment slots.

I had a bent arm and used wood blocking to support behind the arm, and bent it gently back in shape with a 3 lb, hammer. Take off the window by removing the 3 screws under the vinyl cover. Open top halfway to access screws easily. Once window is off, you have access to the arm. You can make adjustments to the windows with this arm as well. To adjust arm, you must remove a tiny pin next to the round socket area. Once pin is removed, the arm can be pulled off the ball holding the socket in place. Once off the ball, the socket can be turned to shorten or lengthen the bar. Make small adjustments. My bar was bent so i tapped the arm back into shape by comparing to the one on the other side of the vehicle. The arm should pop back onto ball easily when properly shaped. Then reinstall the pin and put window back on. My pictures won't attach, but if anyone needs photos of this send me an email and i will send them to you.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom