Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! cooling fan

hdduane

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven XLR
What temperature is the cooling fan suppose to come on to cool the engine? I may have a problem I may not. Today while driving my 2004 XLR I noticed that while the car was moving my temp seamed to stay in the 190 degree range. When I was stopped at a stop light the temp would creep up toward the 220 range. Then I had to stop to check where I was and which to go and my engine temp crept up toward the 230-240 range. My cooling fan didn't started to run until my engine temp reached the 230-240 degree range. Is that normal? If it's not normal then at what temp should it start running and what is potentially my problem?

Don't no what temp the fan should kick on haven't taken the car out this year yet. I would think 230-240 ish. Thermostat doesn't open till 220. I would do a radiator flush first. Might b old fluid and not the right mixture. Cheapest first!

The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the fan's duty cycle with information from multiple inputs. It will enable the fan under these conditions:

1) Coolant temp reaches 204 F (low speed) and will switch to high speed when the coolant temp reaches 235 F.
2) A/C pressure reaches 87 PSI (low speed) and switches to high speed above 360 PSI.
3) Engine oil temp reaches 302 F.
4) Transmission oil reaches 270 F.
5) At vehicle shut-off, if the coolant temp reaches or exceeds 235 F, or the A.C pressure is 249 PSI the cooling fan duty cycle is commanded to 50$ (1/2 speed.) If the coolant temp drops below 230 F and the A/C pressure drops below 241 PSI, the fan will shut off. After shutdown, the fan will cease operation after two minutes, regardless of coolant temperature.

Sounds like your fan is working as it should.

CCC :wave:

from what i have seen the xlr does tend to get hot when sitting still, temp gauge will move up at stop lights or sitting in traffic.
then goes down again once you start moving.
more than other cars i have had. nothing to be worried about. i think cooling system maintenance is a little more important on this car.
good hoses, fresh coolant, etc worth the extra $ every 50k miles or 8 yrs.
so nothing bad happens.
i think caddy recommends fluid replacement at 5 yrs and these engines are very picky when it comes to fresh coolant.
someone else can give more specifics.

The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the fan's duty cycle with information from multiple inputs. It will enable the fan under these conditions:

1) Coolant temp reaches 204 F (low speed) and will switch to high speed when the coolant temp reaches 235 F.
2) A/C pressure reaches 87 PSI (low speed) and switches to high speed above 360 PSI.
3) Engine oil temp reaches 302 F.
4) Transmission oil reaches 270 F.
5) At vehicle shut-off, if the coolant temp reaches or exceeds 235 F, or the A.C pressure is 249 PSI the cooling fan duty cycle is commanded to 50$ (1/2 speed.) If the coolant temp drops below 230 F and the A/C pressure drops below 241 PSI, the fan will shut off. After shutdown, the fan will cease operation after two minutes, regardless of coolant temperature.

Sounds like your fan is working as it should.

WOW!!! All that computer programing, with all the sensors.... Whatever happened to the KISS system? (As cars get more complex...).

The XLR really IS a simple collection of systems. Using a Tech 2, it's easy to troubleshoot say, an electrical circuit to power a window that would take much longer if you had to remove door panels, open connectors and check for voltage and continuity. With a Tech 2, you can scan the door control module, and if it's good, press the raise/lower switch and see if the scan tool recognizes the commands. And with all of the other sensors in the car, if you understand how a system is supposed to work, you can usually find the problem area much faster when you know what sensor governs the area in question.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back