Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Corvette C6 or C7 Wheels to '06 XLR?

RWHartso

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Steel Blue XLR
Howdy:
Newbie, so go easy on me!
Just scored a pristine '06 light blue XLR w 67k SoCal miles!!!!!!!!!!!
Thrilled!
Has XLR-V wheels on her that I'm not particular to & looking at putting on C6 or C7 stock Vette wheels.
This works A-OK?
I appreciate the advise. Best, RW

Wheels ?

Howdy:
Thrilled!
Has XLR-V wheels on her that I'm not particular to & looking at putting on C6 or C7 stock Vette wheels.
This works A-OK?

I don't know but are considering the same.
We put a set of 2010 Corvette Sports on our 99 Vette, dramatic change of over all appearance.
I'm going to check out some options. Will update you, please do the same.

OK, got my sights on a set of '15 C7 stock wheels that were take-off's (all of 150 miles on M Pilots!), but 285/35-19's on rear (245/40-18 fronts)....
Think they'll slide under the rear wells & fit right??????
Thanks, RW

There are entire threads, multiple ones, about wheels and tires. Search is your friend.

Hi David:
Thanks, I did browse a bunch of threads from a few searches, but not seeing a real definitive answer. Sounding like the backs from this target '15 C7 may be a problem with the inner wells in the back of the XLR given the wider space needed for the fancy retracting top....
A good buddy has C5 wheels for a deal & very nice & my research more firmly suggests that they'll fit, but these C7's I'm looking at are original virgin take-offs with 150 miles on Pilots...
I'm still fishing for info...
Best, RW

Corvette wheels

I guess I'm just dense, but talked to a couple wheel mfgrs spefically about this. Both said 'No' wouldn't work. Some obscure reason I never did understand. Still want to do it. Maybe some kind of adaptor?

Hi David:
Thanks, I did browse a bunch of threads from a few searches, but not seeing a real definitive answer. Sounding like the backs from this target '15 C7 may be a problem with the inner wells in the back of the XLR given the wider space needed for the fancy retracting top....
A good buddy has C5 wheels for a deal & very nice & my research more firmly suggests that they'll fit, but these C7's I'm looking at are original virgin take-offs with 150 miles on Pilots...
I'm still fishing for info...
Best, RW

I agree the answer to Corvette wheels fitting the XLR are mostly gray. If your close with this friend as if you can try one of the rear wheel and tires on your XLR. This would provide us all
with a solid answer. The best I have found it stock base model Corvette wheel do fit. I'm uncertain if the wider rears wheel
fits. The 285 may be too large however if back spacing allows; maybe not. I have also considered the C7 wheels. Let us know how they fit.

Wheel and tire basics - my experience

I agree the answer to Corvette wheels fitting the XLR are mostly gray. If your close with this friend as if you can try one of the rear wheel and tires on your XLR. This would provide us all
with a solid answer. The best I have found it stock base model Corvette wheel do fit. I'm uncertain if the wider rears wheel
fits. The 285 may be too large however if back spacing allows; maybe not. I have also considered the C7 wheels. Let us know how they fit.

I, like several others, wanted to get away from the stock wheels, add bling, and get a "lip" to give some depth to the rims. Here are some basic things I discovered, owning two XLR's, with custom wheels:

- 20" wheels are about as large as you can get - 22" require very low profile, and rim damage is likely (it has been done)
- 10" wide wheels are as big as you can get on both front and back (I have 9" on front)
- XLR and Corvette are considered "high offset" wheels. Pay close attention to the dimensions on this, especially for the rear rims/tires
- The maximum you can go on the rear tires is 275. Even then, depending on the brand, you can still get some fender rub (inner and/or outer)
- - I have 265 on my 10" wide 20" diameter rims, just to make sure (the 275's I had on my red XLR had minor rubbing on outer and inner fender)
- - Check my "garage" for some views and examples of fits for these tires/rims
- I bought a staggered 20" rim set meant for a C5, which work great. C6 and C7 are generally too wide :ugh:
DSCN1905.jpgDSCN1906.jpgDSCN2006.jpg

I guess the best advice I can give is to do a fit check, before you buy. If you can't do that, stay conservative on your sizes, like mentioned above, else you may have a set that you can't use, or will damage your beautiful car!

Check Madcurl for his very detailed story about trying to get the largest tires he could on his car. You can learn a lot on his experiments (search "HRE")

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I, like several others, wanted to get away from the stock wheels, add bling, and get a "lip" to give some depth to the rims. Here are some basic things I discovered, owning two XLR's, with custom wheels:

- 20" wheels are about as large as you can get - 22" require very low profile, and rim damage is likely (it has been done)
- 10" wide wheels are as big as you can get on both front and back (I have 9" on front)
- XLR and Corvette are considered "high offset" wheels. Pay close attention to the dimensions on this, especially for the rear rims/tires
- The maximum you can go on the rear tires is 275. Even then, depending on the brand, you can still get some fender rub (inner and/or outer)
- - I have 265 on my 10" wide 20" diameter rims, just to make sure (the 275's I had on my red XLR had minor rubbing on outer and inner fender)
- - Check my garage for some views and examples of fits for these tires/rims
- I bought a staggered 20" rim set meant for a C5, which work great. C6 and C7 are generally too wide :ugh:
View attachment 7028View attachment 7029View attachment 7030

I guess the best advice I can give is to do a fit check, before you buy. If you can't do that, stay conservative on your sizes, like mentioned above, else you may have a set that you can't use, or will damage your beautiful car!

Check Madcurl for his very detailed story about trying to get the largest tires he could on his car. You can learn a lot on his experiments (search "HRE")

Good luck!!!

This information should help the OP and others interested in Vette wheels. I gathered you have 20x9 front and 20x10 rear C5 wheels. You said 265 tire on rears. Can you provide exact size tires on front and rear? With that any of us can adjust for height and width in sizes depending if we want 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels by using a tire calculator on line.

XLR back space is 7.25"

Backspace/offset dimensions are as follows:

C5 (coupe/vert):
Front 17x8.5", 58mm offset = 7.03" backspace
Rear 18x9.5" 65mm offset = 7.81" backspace

C5 Z06:
Front 17x9.5", 54mm offset = 7.38" backspace
Rear 18x10.5", 58mm offset = 8.03" backspace

C6 (coupe/vert):
Front 18x8.5", 56mm offset =6.95" backspace
Rear 19x10", 79mm offset = 8.61" backspace

C6 Z06 and C6 GrandSport:
Front 18x9.5", 40mm offset = 6.82" backspace
Rear 19x12", 59mm offset = 8.82" backspace

C5 and C6 wheel circle:
5 on 4.75" (120.65MM)

Last edited:
My tires - on 20"

This information should help the OP and others interested in Vette wheels. I gathered you have 20x9 front and 20x10 rear C5 wheels. You said 265 tire on rears. Can you provide exact size tires on front and rear? With that any of us can adjust for height and width in sizes depending if we want 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels by using a tire calculator on line.

Backspace/offset dimensions are as follows:

C5 (coupe/vert):

C5 Z06:

C6 (coupe/vert):

C5 and C6 wheel circle:
5 on 4.75" (120.65MM)

Good job on the offset research! The only thing missing, for comparison, is the XLR (18")/XLR-V (19") wheel specs. The bolt pattern/hub is the same for XLR's and Vettes.

Yes, I have 20 X 9 front and 20 X 10 rear rims (I think the offset was ~65mm rear). The higher the offset, the more the rims go into the center of the car). Here is what I have for tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport):

Front - 245-35-20
Rear - 265-35-20

Factory (for V)

Front - 235-40-19
Rear - 255-40-19

Understanding tire sizes
- The first number is the approximate tread width, in mm. 265mm = 10.43".
- The second number is the ratio of the width to the tire height, 10.43" X 0.35 = 3.65". So, the total diameter of my rear setup is 20 + 3.65 +3.65 = 27.3"
- For comparison to the factory original rears - 255 = 10" X 0.40 = 4.0" = 19 + 4 +4 = 27" diameter (~1% off) - speedometer should be OK.

Now you can all go get a job at your local tire store! :) :burnout:

Good job on the offset research! The only thing missing, for comparison, is the XLR (18")/XLR-V (19") wheel specs. The bolt pattern/hub is the same for XLR's and Vettes.

Yes, I have 20 X 9 front and 20 X 10 rear rims (I think the offset was ~65mm rear). The higher the offset, the more the rims go into the center of the car). Here is what I have for tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport):

Front - 245-35-20
Rear - 265-35-20

Factory (for V)

Front - 235-40-19
Rear - 255-40-19

Understanding tire sizes
- The first number is the approximate tread width, in mm. 265mm = 10.43".
- The second number is the ratio of the width to the tire height, 10.43" X 0.35 = 3.65". So, the total diameter of my rear setup is 20 + 3.65 +3.65 = 27.3"
- For comparison to the factory original rears - 255 = 10" X 0.40 = 4.0" = 19 + 4 +4 = 27" diameter (~1% off) - speedometer should be OK.

Now you can all go get a job at your local tire store! :) :burnout:

XLR back space is 7.25"

Corvette Backspace/offset dimensions are as follows:

C5 (coupe/vert):

C5 Z06:

C6 (coupe/vert):

C5 and C6 wheel circle:
5 on 4.75" (120.65MM

considering the demensions on the C5 Z06 rear wheels at 18x10.5 with 8.03" back space and the XLR 18x8 wheel with 7.25" bs we have a difference of .78" bs deeper in leaving 1.72"additional outer. I think the C5 Z06 18x10.5 may fit. Then match a tire equal in height and width to the 265-35-20. My guess would be a 275-40-18. But a tire calculator will provide exact.

Hi Guys: I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth, just buried of late! I don't want fit fits, so I am leaning towards stock C5's that my Buddy has (they are perfect & I like the look, he simply went w Z06's). So, I plan to crawl around underneath in the next week or so & see about those C5 rears. I now believe they'll fit, but this is a XLR, so I may search for another pair of fronts & stick with the same tire all around for rotating. I'll share with photo's what I end up doing. Thanks a TON, RW

C6 Wheels on XLR

Howdy:
Thrilled!
This works A-OK?

Hi.
I have what I have been told are C6 Spyder wheels (18") on my 08 XLR. I tried to load a close up but I don't find the drag and drop user friendly.
I have had lots of great comments on the wheels, no issues with Good~Year run flats.
Regards
Gord.
If you private message me, I can send you a better photo than on my Avatar.

Tires

Randy:
You may want to check into Tire availability before you get your new wheels. The 18" Good~Year run-flats I have are no longer available along with many other XLR parts. There may still be other manufacturers that make them. A big discussion on tires was in this forum a couple years ago.
Good Luck.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back