Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Corvette Owners are Pathetic Midlife Gearhead Hillbillies??

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
So....what do Corvette owners think of this? I encourage you to leave comments on this gentleman's....."piece" of literature....

No Goodwill for Hummers

By Matthew DeBord
Posted Friday, November 6, 2009 - 6:52pm

The Big Money from Slate

Over at the New York Times Magazine, “Consumed” columnist Rob Walker has seen a Hummer— the large and often derided, military-derived General Motors SUV that will soon be sold as a brand to the Chinese—in the parking lot of a Goodwill and “smirked.” The implication is that the Hummer owner painted himself (and it’s probably a him) into a financial corner through his purchase of a pricey, gas-chuggin’ monstrosity and must now wear clothes and shoes that other people have worn before him. Or maybe he was just looking for a set of old golf clubs or hoping to pick up a dozen wine glasses for $6. Point is: You own a Hummer now, you’re on the road to ruin.

Of, if you consider some research that Walker cites, you find yourself in a “brand-mediated moral conflict.” Basically, people who own Hummers have a vastly different view of themselves than people who don’t like people who own Hummers.

It’s always tempting to view Hummer, now headed for the Middle Kingdom and new life as an emblem of hulking aspiration for a whole new population, as a symbol of something arrogant and fallen in Americans. Not long after the Hummer arrived, we rushed at breakneck speed toward an inconvenient truth, peak oil, the 2008 gas crisis, the Great Recession, and the Detroit meltdown.

But the truth is that Hummer is just a brand, and GM wanted to develop it because it needed vehicles with an aggressive image to suggest bold, aggressive things about itself as a car company. GM does the same thing with Corvette, but there’s not very much Corvette hatred in the land, mainly because people who drive Corvettes are viewed as pathetic midlife gearhead hillbillies; if they had any class, they’d drive Porsches. The Hummer owner is reviled. The Corvette owner is pitied. Also, Corvettes have been around for so long that no one gives them much thought, whereas Hummer is seen as the Darth Vader of automotive galaxy.

Full Article: No Goodwill for Hummers | The Big Money

Now where's that emoticon - oh, here it is!
:pukeface::pukeface::pukeface:

That's what I think!

He may as well say that all foreign car drivers are elitist.

And (Porsches, etc) hae been around so long that I don't give them any thought! Apparently, neither do the people who engineer and design them, since Corvettes have more techno-goodies and better specs and better styling on them than almost any other sports car out there!

So....what do Corvette owners think of this? I encourage you to leave comments on this gentleman's....."piece" of literature....

To get me upset would require a critical article with some actual supporting facts that could be twisted into an insult. None here that I can find. Now, insulting Goodwill shoppers, that is upsetting!

You can tell this guy doesnt know much about the Corvette. Lets just take my 2003 C5 I get 20/22 miles per gallon in the city and 32 on the highway. With that said I will only add that I agree with Cadillac Tech "life is to short to drive a boring car".:blinzel:

Fred:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Yep, just another hack who is probably living paycheck to paycheck, eking out a meager living at a keyboard, driving a Yugo or similar foreign car, shopping at Goodwill stores and lost his girlfriend to some good looking guy with a Corvette.
At any rate he has obviously never driven, much less owned a Corvette.
Bruce

Yep, just another hack who is probably living paycheck to paycheck, eking out a meager living at a keyboard, driving a Yugo or similar foreign car, shopping at Goodwill stores and lost his girlfriend to some good looking guy with a Corvette.
At any rate he has obviously never driven, much less owned a Corvette.
Bruce
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
That is one thing that always comes to my mind when a "writer" writes a story like that. Have they owned the car? What makes them an authority on the car?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom