Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Dead battery ..... Again

Lol I know everyone loves these cars. Even my oldest nephews friend asked him today, as I was driving him to the friends house. Whose car are you being dropped off in. He said my uncles xlr. The friend said sweet. When I dropped him off I dropped the top and drove off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gaurd my with life. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355104809.814535.jpg so I doubt I will let just anyone drive mine. I sometime keep it locked in a neighbors garage. Since they let me. The fob stay with all the time.

Hawkeye,

Let not your heart be troubled. You need not waste $20 for a tender because us fellow Florida XLR forum members are here to keep your XLR well exercised! When you take that long trip just give us the fob and we will ensure that the XLR is heavily used to preserve that battery and avoid those nasty tire flat spots. There is no lack of love on this site!

When can we expect you to be leaving? What brand of gas card will you be leaving with us? We are all here to help.

Steve

Hey Steve. Should I be worried since you live only 2 hours away from me? That is on a good day of driving I-4 traffic. Have only seen so far 2 other xlrs driving on the road and 2 getting work done at the dealership.

Hey Steve. Should I be worried since you live only 2 hours away from me? That is on a good day of driving I-4 traffic. Have only seen so far 2 other xlrs driving on the road and 2 getting work done at the dealership.

Hawkeye,

I figured once we get your XLR the trip back to Orlando would likely be something under 45 minutes. So I don't understand your concern. Your XLR would barely be used..... Us Florida XLR forum members strive to minimize the time your car is actually on I-4. Way to dangerous for our beloved XLRs to be driven on I-4 for an hour or more; thus the necessary speed involved.

Now the neighbors hiding your XLR in their garage are another story. Please make it easy for them to give up possession while you are gone. It would be best for everyone involved,,,

Steve

Window adjustment trick.

Wow, this is timely.....I just replaced my battery and the only thing not working right is the little window adjustment when you open and close the door. How do you reset the windows? Please advise if you can . Thanks so much. :confused:

One more thing..... I leave the car for a couple of weeks at a time with no trouble. I think the other poster may be right, there is some phantom stealing power when your car is off.

Wow, this is timely.....I just replaced my battery and the only thing not working right is the little window adjustment when you open and close the door. How do you reset the windows? Please advise if you can . Thanks so much. :confused:

One more thing..... I leave the car for a couple of weeks at a time with no trouble. I think the other poster may be right, there is some phantom stealing power when your car is off.

If I remember correctly from previous post, put window all the way down and hold switch for 5 seconds, then all the way up and hold for 5 seconds. both windows. done

Yes .... the computer is always on alert waiting for your FOB to arrive ... plus all the other gadgets that are powered on newer cars with bigger batteries .... you need to remember - this car was WAY ahead of it's time when it was being designed - considering that the first ones were manufactured 8 years ago. I mean, really .... we have had hot/cool seats forever and most new cars still don't offer the cool part as standard equipment.

Software

I am now on my second battery in 8 years on my 2004.Except when ther origonal failed in 2009 have had no trouble withe the battery running down even after 3 weeks of non use. I wonder if there is different software among the XLRs affecting stanby power consumption.. Mine is an early 2004.

I went thru 3 batteries in my wifes 2007 Escalade til I traded it off last winter... Go figure?

Ya got to drive it and enjoy RA.

Jim

Yeah .. Jim ... I hear ya! We have had problems with the Escalade battery as well - definetly not because it is not driven ... it is pushing 100k ... We're on our 2nd one. Well, I don't know about the software draw .... Lola is a 2004 as well ... all I know is what happens and what most of us have experienced with leaving the car sit ..... I now have a rule .... the car gets started and will run for 20 minutes on Saturdays .... no matter what. It was not fun having the battery die this time ..... the tech needed 2 sets of cables to reach the battery from his truck. We were not going to jump her from the Escalade ... haha .... didn't know what sort of problem that may have created. Let's just say we're a little battery-shy with our Caddies. :pat:

All fixed....thanks folks.

It's funny....I was thinking that the reset must be something like holding the button down for a few seconds so I did it before you gave me the answer and voila.....all good. You guys probably saved me a $110 shop charge and the inconvenience of going to the dealer. Thanks very much, I really appreciate the help. This site has been wonderful.

Got the xlr out today, three weeks without starting, all good. :dunno:

Got the xlr out today, three weeks without starting, all good. :dunno:

Me too. We just got back from 3 weeks in CA. Ol' "QUIK AG" started right up. BTW, it's kept in an unheated, attached garage, and I didn't have it on a charger or a tender. We had snow on the ground when we arrived home. :)

Tim

Had breakfast this morning at the Allante/XLR Association and the topic of batteries came up. The XLR experts all said there must be an electrical problem with the cars that are eating batteries. They should go a few weeks of no driving before they die. They also said and I agree that each one is an individual and has it own quirks when it comes to models/years and so forth.

They also said and I agree that each one is an individual and has it own quirks when it comes to models/years and so forth.

VERY good point.

Not so good battery in my opinion

I am now on my second battery in 8 years on my 2004.Except when ther origonal failed in 2009 have had no trouble withe the battery running down even after 3 weeks of non use. I wonder if there is different software among the XLRs affecting stanby power consumption.. Mine is an early 2004.

I went thru 3 batteries in my wifes 2007 Escalade til I traded it off last winter... Go figure?

Ya got to drive it and enjoy RA.

Jim

All my GM vehicles have had ACDelco batteries and I have never gotten anywhere close to the warranty life. :mad: They have ALL caused me trouble. After a couple years service, if there is any draw at all..... IT WILL KILL the battery. I have experienced this too many times and life is too short dealing with "in my opinion, a terrible battery". So far I have replaced my Escalade and Beauty (wife's XLR) with Optima's Red Top batteries. So far so good. :twist:

Mike

I normally use Costco batteries, but when I finished my XLR back in August, '08, they didn't have one that fit. So, I went over to Walmart and found one on their fitment chart that was the correct battery. Haven't had any trouble with it at all... I can let the car sit for 3-4 weeks, go out and she starts right up. Of course, during her winter hibernation, I have her plugged in to a maintainer.

if there is any draw at all..... IT WILL KILL the battery. I have experienced this too many times and life is too short dealing with "in my opinion, a terrible battery". So far I have replaced my Escalade and Beauty (wife's XLR) with Optima's Red Top batteries. So far so good. :twist:

Mike

Timely topic for me. The starting battery in the Merededes SL 600 went bad yesterday (SL has 2 batteries; one for starting the other for operating power). Checked for the Red Top Optima but told they don't have one for this car. The Pep Boys want to sell me a Bosch. I thought those folks made dishwashers. Anyone have one of these?

Steve

Steve....given the low production cars a lot of battery companies fail to list what will work in your car. I measured the XLR battery (width, height and length) and checked the post configuration, then picked the closest to the original size. CCA and reserved power are important....get the highest numbers you can.

I don't know anything about Bosch batteries but yes they do make dishwashers (I have one and it works fine). :dunno:

Good luck.

Mike

Odyssey AGM Battery

Shortly after purchasing Crimson Pearl, I replaced her battery with an Odyssey AGM battery. Some of the details and photos of the complete process, removing the installed battery and installing the Odyssey is in this thread :

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/4125-optima-battery.html#post20283

I can't speak for any other model, but an Odyssey 75/86 PC1230 fits perfectly in a 2005 XLR.

Also, as to the issue of the battery "running down", most all batteries will lose some of the "surface charge" if they just sit. You might find some of the information in this thread interesting as well :

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...leeping-battery-discharge-rate.html#post34668

The "surface charge" will drop in just a week if Crimson Pearl is not driven. Of course, the "deep charge" is still there, and would have no problem cranking the car if left to sit for weeks.

If I don't drive Crimson Pearl at least weekly, I connect the Odyssey Ultimizer to the battery on Sunday afternoons for a few minutes to bring the total charge back to 100%.

Optima Battery part #35 fit Amy's '06 XLR without any modifications. The cables and hold down all went right back in place with no problems. Main reason I went with an Optima battery instead of an Odyssey, there were no local dealers. I would have considered one if I could have purchased it locally.

Mike

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back