Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! DRL lens issue

That may be a true statement CC, but MY06(model year) had the adaptive headlights; which MY05 (model year) did not; so I'm positive no '05 headlights were used on early build MY06.

I'm not sure how my statement was interpreted.

Crazing of the DRLs was flagged up to some of the 2006 model years when a fix with a more heat-resistant bezel was introduced for the 04-06 model years that needed to be fixed. By then, the 06's had Adaptive headlights, which electrically were incompatible with previous builds, so an adapter (pigtail) harness was introduced for the early models rather than produce two different headlight assemblies. From that point on, none of the later models reported this issue.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Couple of years + ,,,, and used it only for vacation trips totaling 16K miles of pleasure. Really hate to sell it, but my lady passed away in early December and I don't have a need for four cars to take care of any longer. Selling two cars and keeping her C6 Z51 Vette with 22K miles on it with more trunk space and my truck.

Any interested parties can PM me. Someone is going to get a nice one.......

So sorry for your loss, as well as for our loss in having you as a XLR owner.

CC,

Having talked to GM officials a couple times at the BG plant years ago, lead me to believe they didn't know why the headlamps were crazing. Once they told us it was fixed on the MY06 it didn't seem to concern me, until I noticed it starting on my passenger side headlight. I've also seen it on some MY07, so I don't really think Cadillac rectified the situation and since they aren't made any longer they don't really care. My post was to make others aware, there are ways to keep it from getting worse and or happening.

I'm not sure how my statement was interpreted.

Crazing of the DRLs was flagged up to some of the 2006 model years when a fix with a more heat-resistant bezel was introduced for the 04-06 model years that needed to be fixed. By then, the 06's had Adaptive headlights, which electrically were incompatible with previous builds, so an adapter (pigtail) harness was introduced for the early models rather than produce two different headlight assemblies. From that point on, none of the later models reported this issue.

One factor at play here is TIME. The '04's and '05's exhibited the crazing issue early on. GM's fix with '06 and subsequent years doesn't sound like it was fool-proof. Until recently, I haven't heard of later years having this problem, but with the passage of time, it makes sense for some materials to become more susceptible to heat. DRL bulb replacement with cooler-operating LEDs are definitely the way to go for ALL XLRs.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry