Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! DRL lens issue

adambravo

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black/Cashmere XLR
So, I went to look at a 2004 XLR over the weekend (about an hour away). Overall, in very good shape all around. I couldn't test drive it (it was hemmed in at a warehouse, and I didn't call ahead), and the top would not raise (and I've since been told about indexing the windows); the dealer will be following up on that and getting service records, etc.

However, I'm beginning to get more concerned about the left DRL lens (see picture). I've learned enough to know what causes it and how to avoid it (don't turn on the DRLs--or turn on foglamps to deactivate them), and that spare parts are nearly impossible to find. That being said, the condition of this lens sounds like it might/could/should be a deal-breaker. Thoughts? Options? Thanks in advance (also to folks on other parts of the forum who helped provide the background)...

Adam

xlr headlamps.jpg

Attachments

• xlr headlamp.jpg
    xlr headlamp.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 307
DRL's

HI,
Good afternoon. Just another day in Paradise and only 35 days til Spring. I have seen several XLR's and most headlights are in the same shape... One of a few bad qualities... Cadillac has let us down on being able to get headlights and taillights... Hope you find an XLR that you like. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Fred

I don't think one crazed bezel should be a deal-breaker, but. . . if it bothers you now, it would probably bother you more later on. That being said, there are hundreds of XLRs on the road with this same issue.

You can avoid it by finding a later model (2006 and up) that sported the improved headlights or get lucky and find an earlier model that had them retro-fitted.

CC :wave:

I'm guessing I got very lucky in 2011 when I bought Roxy she had them crazed lenses too.....which I was told it actually came from the bulbs yellow color and not from heat melting the lenses but actually deteriorated the plastic, anyway the dealer shot us a deal trying to earn our business for repairs I guess.....for full replacement of both for $500 I almost said no after just buying the car and having payment, but my wife said I surely regret it later, so I just got them done and paid for on credit card..... this was one time I'm glad I listened to her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you are thinking the headlight DRL issue is a deal breaker you are in for a number of deal breakers in your eyes..
I love my Xlr and enjoy keeping it in great shape, even with the challenges we owners facw..
This forum with the Internet will help solve most all issues related to Xlrs.
Good luck, Have patience and most of all..ENJOY!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Our 06 has some "crazy" lenses, but after a while, I pay no attention, wife has never noticed, nor has anyone else but one other XLR owner. Now it's a habit with me to turn on the fog lights which I have replaced with LED's.

Our 06 has some "crazy" lenses, but after a while, I pay no attention, wife has never noticed, nor has anyone else but one other XLR owner. Now it's a habit with me to turn on the fog lights which I have replaced with LED's.

But I thought they fixed that problem in 06 my understanding was only 04-05 had the crazing issues?

Wonder if you got some leftover units from 05???

Wonder if you got some leftover units from 05???

Who knows? I'm not too concerned with it. Ordinary people don't give it one thought, I've won two car shows out of three I've entered in the last year and didn't get dinged for it, so I'm pretty ok with it

But I thought they fixed that problem in 06 my understanding was only 04-05 had the crazing issues?

The fix was implemented during the 2006 MY. Not all 2006's have it installed. It took time for the problem to become obvious on the 2004's before a revised part could be designed/built and fielded.

Last edited:
That may be a true statement CC, but MY06(model year) had the adaptive headlights; which MY05 (model year) did not; so I'm positive no '05 headlights were used on early build MY06.

My '06 V also had some crazing starting on the drivers side headlight. I almost always turned off the DRL's when driving for long periods of time. I believe the biggest problem is the heat from the lamps and their proximity to the lenses itself. I have since changed both headlights (while units were still available) and have installed LED bulbs in the DRL to reduce the heat. Hopefully that fixes the situation......we shall see!!

The fix was implemented during the 2006 MY. Not all 2006's have it installed. I took time for the problem to become obvious on the 2004's before a revised part could be designed/built and fielded.

Last edited:
keep on looking,,,

If the headlight condition bothers you now, and it would me...........its a deal breaker IMO.

BTW, I have an '05 with both headlights replaced for sale.... 39K miles, really nice, top works fine, and new tires.

If the headlight condition bothers you now, and it would me...........its a deal breaker IMO.

BTW, I have an '05 with both headlights replaced for sale.... 39K miles, really nice, top works fine, and new tires.

How long have you owned the XLR before deciding on selling?

That may be a true statement CC, but MY06(model year) had the adaptive headlights; which MY05 (model year) did not; so I'm positive no '05 headlights were used on early build MY06.

My '06 V also had some crazing starting on the drivers side headlight. I almost always turned off the DRL's when driving for long periods of time. I believe the biggest problem is the heat from the lamps and their proximity to the lenses itself. I have since changed both headlights (while units were still available) and have installed LED bulbs in the DRL to reduce the heat. Hopefully that fixes the situation......we shall see!!

Hi Cubby
How expensive and how much work is involved in that project? It may just interest me to do that! Mine is a 2005 you think it's much difference to change out? Thx Dan

Last edited:
Dan,

If you look halfway down the tech section, you'll see a thread on LED turn signals/DRL that nerkpowers wrote. It will tell you all you need to know.

Dan,

If you look halfway down the tech section, you'll see a thread on LED turn signals/DRL that nerkpowers wrote. It will tell you all you need to know.

Hey cubby are your DRL now white or instead of the yellow color?

best road car ever owned,,,,,,,,,,,

How long have you owned the XLR before deciding on selling?

Couple of years + ,,,, and used it only for vacation trips totaling 16K miles of pleasure. Really hate to sell it, but my lady passed away in early December and I don't have a need for four cars to take care of any longer. Selling two cars and keeping her C6 Z51 Vette with 22K miles on it with more trunk space and my truck.

Any interested parties can PM me. Someone is going to get a nice one.......

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom