Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

ENGINE COVER PAINTED

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
After seeing Al Jazz's engine cover in an earlier post, I decided I wanted to do mine. Just finished it today. Wanted to try and match some of the colors in the Cadillac logo - gold/silver/red. Waiting on delivery of a new wreath/badge to cover the existing center logo - want the badge to have the colors on it. Really pleased with the way it's turned out.
Blends nicely with the gold mist exterior too.

IMG_0092.JPGIMG_0089.JPG

Last edited:
Staying on this subject. I went down to a custom coatings place in st Augustine Florida. One of the owners is a member of my cruise group. So I told him some ideas of what I wanted to do and he gave me his input. The one guy also looked at my center wheel caps and said that it would look nice to paint these too in your cars color. I said right now I'm just looking to paint my valve box cover and maybe do a Xlr lettering on it too. Could someone here give me their input. I want to dress up the under hood area. One place said they could do it but their product is more of a car wrap product. They guarantee it for a couple thousand degree temp.
But this other place (where I went to today) has been around and is in the collision repair business too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After seeing Al Jazz's engine cover in an earlier post, I decided I wanted to do mine. Just finished it today. Wanted to try and match some of the colors in the Cadillac logo - gold/silver/red. Waiting on delivery of a new wreath/badge to cover the existing center logo - want the badge to have the colors on it. Really pleased with the way it's turned out.
Blends nicely with the gold mist exterior too.

View attachment 5890View attachment 5891

Looking good

I'm taking the X down to a powder coating company tomorrow. Trying to match the Infrared color might be asking too much, but he'll have something close I'm sure

I'm taking the X down to a powder coating company tomorrow. Trying to match the Infrared color might be asking too much, but he'll have something close I'm sure

Yeah, for a powder coater to match that red may be a challenge but they may surprise you. I did mine with spray cans of DupliColor paint and clear coat and so far the engine heat doesn't appear to be a problem. Biggest challenge was the masking off for color changes and that's not too difficult. Just a note - if you're interested, I ordered a stick-on wreath and badge to cover the one on the round center area. I wanted the red/gold colors on the badge to show up and the one on my car was just plain silver/aluminum colored. Big Daddy Caddy in Union, NJ has one that fits very nicely over the existing one and it kinda ties in the red/gold colors on my engine cover.

Post pictures of yours when you're done.:thumbsup

From my understanding powder coating is done on metal. I don't think you can powder coat plastic. Powder coating needs to be energized and plastic is not conductive. :dunno: good luck.
I personally think the engine compartment looks better with the engine cover off. You can actually see a engine then. Should run alittle cooler too. Colder engine means peppier throttle :thumbsup. But that's my preference. :dunno:

From my understanding powder coating is done on metal. I don't think you can powder coat plastic. Powder coating needs to be energized and plastic is not conductive. :dunno: good luck.

Thought I had read something on this a while back so I had to look it up. Seems "these times they are a changin"! Here's what I found with a video.

LiquiPowder allows you to apply powder coating to surfaces and parts that you could not do before. Apply to wood, plastic, glass, ceramic, metal and already powder coated surfaces and more. Apply with a wet spray gun, a paint brush or even a toothpick to repair areas that have been damaged in the powder coated surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSqvlZ621s

Please let me know a price. I have infrared too and thinking of adding color to the engine area.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back