Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fair price for new catalytic converters?

Jon404

Live in San Diego, California... have a 2005 XLR... what's a fair price for new catalytic converters... installed? Just got my smog notice from DMV today, and our mechanic ran a test and says it needs new converters. The test was -- he reset the Check Engine light, then had me drive it for about 20 minutes on the freeway. The light stayed off, but the OBD test gadget showed that one converter was still out, and also that the car had not gone through all its smog recycle settings. Went off to drive it again, and this time the light came back on. No luck! California's tough -- they can't even run a smog test if the Check Engine light's on.

Anyone know what I should expect to pay to get new converters?

I paid $320 or so for (1) 1999 Cadillac 4.6 catalytic converter (the exact price I have to check, but I know it was under $400). Mine was a generic brand, because the OEM is out of production. If I recall, the OEM was pretty high. As stated, this was for a 1999 Northstar which uses only (1) cat. Oddly enough that my 2007 XLR shares the same size oil filter.:chuckle

converters

I paid $320 or so for (1) 1999 Cadillac 4.6 catalytic converter (the exact price I have to check, but I know it was under $400). Mine was a generic brand, because the OEM is out of production. If I recall, the OEM was pretty high. As stated, this was for a 1999 Northstar which uses only (1) cat. Oddly enough that my 2007 XLR shares the same size oil filter.:chuckle

I think the warranty on emission control items like the catalytic converters is somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 miles and 10 years. I would check with a dealer to see if you can get warranty replacements.

I think the warranty on emission control items like the catalytic converters is somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 miles and 10 years. I would check with a dealer to see if you can get warranty replacements.

Thanks for the heads up, but my other cars aren't Cadillacs, but rather Modified Fieros using the Cadillac Northstar 4.6 but interestingly a guy at the shop today saw my XLR and mentioned that I should buy a spare catalytic for they won't be around years from now.

Off warranty I have used Random Technologies High Flow cats with great success.
A Fiero with a Northstar would be a fun ride.
Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back