Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Fan Coming on By Itself?????

thumper

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V
This is the second time I've noticed it. Don't know if it happens more often or not.

This particular time, I went out to the garage after the car had been parked in garage for an hour or two after a short drive. I was putting some tools away when I heard a double click-click and a fan in the XLR-V came on. Car was off, locked and the FOB was in the house, nowhere near the car.
I went and got the FOB, opened the door and it seemed like the heater/AC fan was running. I could feel air blowing out the vents. No lights on the dash indicating that AC was on.

I started the car normally and then shut it down. Fan was now off. Everything seems to be normal.

Any ideas?

That is the Afterblow feature @ work drying off your evaporator core. This feature normally has to be turned on with a Tech 2. It works to help eliminate that musty smell. It will not engage when battery voltage is low.:wave:

Cool! :chuckle Sorry; couldn't help myself.

Short of camping out in the garage for a couple of hours after running the A/C to see if the fan comes on, is there any way for me to tell if this feature is enabled on my '06 XLR? (Nope, don't have a Tech 2.)

Tim
That is the Afterblow feature @ work drying off your evaporator core. This feature normally has to be turned on with a Tech 2. It works to help eliminate that musty smell. It will not engage when battery voltage is low.:wave:

Cool! :chuckle Sorry; couldn't help myself.

Short of camping out in the garage for a couple of hours after running the A/C to see if the fan comes on, is there any way for me to tell if this feature is enabled on my '06 XLR? (Nope, don't have a Tech 2.)

Tim

No.:D

Thanks Bruce.

Just when I start thinking I've got the car all figured out, something new pops up.

I sometimes miss the old days when I was 'smarter' than my car......

Thanks Bruce.

Just when I start thinking I've got the car all figured out, something new pops up.

I sometimes miss the old days when I was 'smarter' than my car......

I don't know if we'll ever get the XLR all figured out...they are really smart.:lol:

Let's DO it...

If you'd be so kind, please provide the "menu path" on the Tech 2 to where we can enable that feature. I have a shop that will do that for me, but it would save them a ton of time spent looking for it. Thanks, in advance. :cool:

[Is it really called, "Afterblow"?]

Tim

If you'd be so kind, please provide the "menu path" on the Tech 2 to where we can enable that feature. I have a shop that will do that for me, but it would save them a ton of time spent looking for it. Thanks, in advance. :cool:

[Is it really called, "Afterblow"?]

Tim

<FORM method=post name=CellHandlerForm action=/newsi/cellHandler.do>Afterblow Enabling
The afterblow mode can be enabled using the scan tool. The afterblow mode allows the blower motor to operate after the engine has been turned OFF. This operation of the blower motor dries the evaporator core, which reduces the amount of microbial growth which can create undesirable odors.
Use the following procedure in order to enable the afterblow mode:
1. Connect the scan tool .

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

3. Select HVAC Module.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

4. Select HVAC Systems Automatic.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

5. Select Special Functions.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

6. Select HVAC.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

7. Select Afterblow Option.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

8. Select ENTER to enable the afterblow.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

9. When done, use the soft key to save changes.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
When afterblow has been enabled by the scan tool the blower motor will operate between medium and high speed for 4 minutes after the engine has been turned OFF.
The following conditions must be met for the HVAC module to operate the afterblow:
The outside air temperature must be at least 21°C (70°F).

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

The A/C compressor must operate for more than 2 minutes.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

The engine must be turned off for at least 45 minutes.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

The system voltage must be at least 12 volts.

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

</FORM>

Bruce, thanks for detailing the Tech 2 menu path to enable that "Afterblow" mode. I'll take my XLR to the shop and see if they can follow your directions. Sure appreciate it! :wave:

Tim

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back