Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

folding top doesn't work 2008 xlr

nvme

My XLR/V(s)
It as been working fine since it was new. Now nothing happens when I push the button on the console, no sound or click-nothing. I check the passenger fuse box and there is only one that says: conv/top trunk release 15A. My release button on the dash,fob and the center of the trunk lid all works just fine,so that's not the problem unless there is another fuse that I've missed? However; there is another problem with it for about 6 months which I solved with a stick that I measured and cut to fit. That is the trunk lid goes up but doesn't stay up and immediately comes down, so the stick works just fine. Now! I'm thinking that when the top is opened the first thing that happens is for the windows to come down and the second is for the trunk to open and stay open for a few seconds so top can start. Since that can't happen then the systems automatically defaults at the beginning and therefore I should replace both of the trunk struts, do you agree? thanks for any replies.

Yes I was thinking the same thing as I read your post! Second thing that crossed my mind was to check the on/off top switch in the glove box, but I believe too, the struts maybe causing it. I’d try that first fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
according to top hydraulics the trunk struts that hold it up are very important in the operation. When they go bad it puts extra work on the pump somehow and the pump will blow out the resistor from overloading . Results the pump motor will not run. Make sure the pump is full of fluid and the manual release is tight. After that it may be the resistor. I would start with trunk struts as they are pretty cheap and not that hard to install.

May very well be the struts seeing they will not hold up deck lid.

When my XLR had experienced nothing while engaging the power top switch it was a problem with windows needing to be re-indexed. Seeing the computer did not know the location of my windows the top lowering process would not start.

After replacing the struts raise and lower both door glasses and when they get to the full top and full bottom keep switch engaged for 3 seconds. Pretty common problem with a dead battery or after disconnecting a battery to make other repairs.

Good Luck

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back