Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Folding Top Fluid

onalaska

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infared XLR-V
I noticed that the fluid level is below the minimum line on the pump and it makes some noise at the end of it's cycle. I found GM p/n 89022748 for the fluid and a container (not sure what size) lists for about $72. Does anyone know what this fluid is? Standard hydraluic fluid? Should I buy a container to top off the fluid level? I don't want to damage the pump by adding the wrong fluid.

I wouldn't use any fluid except GM's... the fluid is very thin and specific to the XLR system. Any other fluid will be to heavy and thick to run through the lines, as the lines to the windshield header are about 1/16" ID.

Thanks for the info, I'll order the fluid. I sure don't want to cause any problem with the top, they are touchy enough already. Just didn't want to spend $75 to find out it was power steering fluid or something similar that I already had in the garage.

The fluid is actually made by Saab for their tops. Like MT said, I would only use the GM fluid.

I hope I don't have a leak somewhere! It's just below the minimum line when the trunk is up. This car has had the whole pump assembly replaced in it's past so perhaps they just didn't get it completely full at that time. Not taking any chances with it now!

I hope I don't have a leak somewhere! It's just below the minimum line when the trunk is up. This car has had the whole pump assembly replaced in it's past so perhaps they just didn't get it completely full at that time. Not taking any chances with it now!

If your car is still under warranty... take it in; this should be covered and then you'll know if you have a larger problem to deal with.

Looked over the top operation today and found the headliner was saturated with hydralic fluid, not dripping on my head, but the whole front center portion is soaked. The headliner is black so you can't see the fluid on it. I wondered what that smell was! That explains why the level in the pump is down. Off to the dealer tomorrow. Sure am glad it's still covered under warranty. They will have to replace the headliner as well as I don't see any way to get the fluid out of it.

Looked over the top operation today and found the headliner was saturated with hydralic fluid, not dripping on my head, but the whole front center portion is soaked. The headliner is black so you can't see the fluid on it. I wondered what that smell was! That explains why the level in the pump is down. Off to the dealer tomorrow. Sure am glad it's still covered under warranty. They will have to replace the headliner as well as I don't see any way to get the fluid out of it.

Last May, on the way to San Antonio for the XLR Rendevous, I had the lines going to the header latch replaced. About a month before, every time I put the top up, I got a squirt of fluid onto the back window. Didn't get anywhere else... just on the back window. Since mine has no warranty, it cost me $700 and I had already purchased the parts (thinking I was going to do the work). But then, after I checked the service manual and found 12 pages of instructions, I thought it better to have a dealership do the work. And, not trusting the dealership here - even though they have an XLR tech, I decided to have it done in Colorado Springs.

Foud the problem. Leaking header latch hydraulic cylinder. Dealer has the cylinder and a new headliner on order. Hope we get it before Spring!

Finally have the top working again. First time the replacement hydraulic cylinder did not work. Dealer replaced it a second time and then the pump was low on fluid. Dealer finally got some fluid and we topped it off today and it is working again, just in time for 70 degree weather! I ordered a bottle of fluid to keep just in case. It has about the same viscosity as power steering fluid, but considerably more expensive.

I'm glad to hear that you have your top problem taken care of. Enjoy some top down driving.:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom