Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Fried Folding Top and Ride Control Module

rayzsurfer

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Silver XLR
Hello all, sad day for me we had our once in a century rain here in San Diego right when I had to keep the XLR outside of the garage and got water in the trunk compartment. I guess I was just meant to spend an extra $1000 on her now. I connected the Tech2 and sure enough those two modules are not talking. I have ordered them and they are on their merry way. My question is I want to try and just replace these two components without replacing the pump, is that safe? I would at least like to try doing it that way and hopefully save myself another $1100 bucks for the pump. Do I run the risk of damaging the folding top module if the pump is bad?

I know there have been an extensive amounts of posts about the weep hole and it is open and my trunk did not leak before I had work done on the lid but like I said before all things conspired against me. I am going to make sure the seals on that side are in position before having this car out in the rain. It never really is but I was installing a lift and had to move everything out of the stable.

I'm assuming if you have a Tech 2, then you have a set of Service Manuals as well.

How high did the water fill the driver's side bay in the trunk? The drain hole should have prevented any flooding of that area. If you haven't verified daylight through it, I recommend you do so.

1. Replace the suspension module first, then re-run the diagnostic test after clearing all DTCs. Follow it up with a road test. (Make sure the FTC is disconnected before initial power-up.)
2. The pump may be salvageable if it wasn't submerged. Leave the rear deck lid open, and remove the compartment cover and begin the drying process. You could place a bunch of dessicant packs around the pump and cover it with cling wrap for a few days just to speed the process along. The main thing is not to apply voltage from the FTC module if there's any doubt as to the condition of the motor.
3. You can access the motor connector and take resistance measurements using the Service Manuals as a guide prior to power-up. If in doubt regarding the pump, don't connect it to the FTC or you could have a $500 fuse.
4. If you have to replace the pump, buy an o-ring kit for the manifold too.
5. Ensure the seal modification (lots of posts somewhere here from a few years back) is installed in your trunk to avoid another mishap.

Good luck!

CC :wave:

Last edited:
While this isn't going to help with your current problem, but if you are in need to park outside for any amount of time rain or shine...

2009 Cadillac XLR Waterproof Car Cover w Mirrorpocket | eBay

You might consider this. I have and have had covers with a much better fit than this one, but it is dry after a good rain storm. I have never seen anything like it before and is very affordable.

Thanks CC for the procedure. I do have a Tech2 and manuals. I will do as you have suggested. I really want to get her back on the road, after all she is my favorite X and I have three to choose from (except that the other ones are the two legged type).

Dennis thanks for the tip on the car cover I might get one of those as a back up.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom