Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Fuel Gage stuck

redsoxdad2

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Just some good information.
About 1 year ago my fuel gauge decided to stop working properly. When I filled the tank up it would only register half way between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank. After being told to use a few bottles of tech-tron which is made by Chevron, I tried this for about 8 months. Did not help. I decided to try the new Shell V-Power fuel. After starting this I noticed that there was more power, better performance and better gas mileage. After 3 months I thought that I would just have to change the sending units ( there are 2 ) one in each tank, not knowing which one was bad. 4 days ago I started up my 2005 XLR to go for a ride and the engine icon appeared. GREAT another problem. Went to the dealer to see what the code was. They said that it was the fuel level switch but would have to do further diagnostic testing. They cleared the code for me and I told them I would get back to them. The car ran great, didn't seem to have any problems. The next day I went to the Shell station to fill the tank and when I was done I noticed the fuel gauge was working fine now. It has been 3 tanks later and still doing good. It must be the Shell V-Power gas. It may cost a little more to buy it saved me about $1800. I cannot say enough about Shell V-Power gas. I will be using this from now on.:thumbsup Just an FYI.

Thanks for the info. With the ever increasing use of ethanol in gasoline, we could all be experiencing more severe problems. I try to remember to run a can of SeaFoam thru my car about every 3rd tank too.

Good to know as we have always used Shell in ours (& put premium in the base even though it's only "recommended" & not required). I agree the extra fuel cost is better than the hassle & expense of replacing the fuel sending units etc. Fingers crossed Shell is the charm to avoid that!

I had the same problem

I had the same problem! When it first showed up it caused me to run out of gas on I-5 in Central California....miles from nowhere. I carried a small can of gas for a year after that. When I had to have the smog check the shop reset the computer to see if they had solved the check engine light and Shazzam my gas gauge worked again! For a while. I read in the Owners Manual we should be using premium fuel so I switched to that. After the second tank the fuel gauge worked again and has been fine ever since. I'm interested to see if others found the same thing.
:thumbsup

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back