Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Gas Struts for Folding Top

Tinker

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Zenon Blue XLR
Still working on my poorly functioning top. There are 4 gas struts associated with the retractable top. Two for the trunk lid, and two for the top mechanism itself. GM part numbers 88957084, and 88956655 respectively. On eBay there is a supplier for the trunk lid gas struts asking $49.95 per pair, yet the 88956655 top gas struts appear only available through GM for $59.00 each including shipping. Is there another source for these? The label shows Stabilus Lift-O-Mat 4147QA rated at 500 Newtons (112lbs), but they don't appear in any catalogs. The Trunk lid gas struts are 1474ST rated at 1000 Newtons (224lbs), so they can't be used to replace them. Is there another application where these 300mm extended length cylinders are used?
Since the gas struts are difficult to get to, and since they operate perfectly until they die, I thought it prudent to replace them while replacing the hydraulic cylinders. Any thoughts or experiences?
Thanks

Yes,,,, I posted the link to that company. They are a good source, but regardless stay away from the

Strong Arm brand option ...... lower quality IMO

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back