Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Get familiar with the XLR electrical system

IAN

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 silver XLR
@    ID_Fig2X_GM_Topology[1].jpg

Attached is a breakdown of the Saturn Ion electrical, the same as the XLR.

That schema indicate the systems and with witch modems that they do communicate.

The Saturn wiring colors circuits are of some different colors for the XLR, at the lower of the page the proper colors are indicated.

Knowing now that the Saturn use the same electrical systems that is a good news, as the Saturn repair shop could be able to repair the XLR, as we know that most of our problems are electrical.

Enjoy the viewing and get familiar with the schema.

IAN :wave:

Ian, I would really love to know of all the people reading this site understand what you have posted. I love cars and have always had a couple kicking around and I have no clue with regards to this wiring diagram you have posted.
John F.

Hi John.

I understand your concern, in order to read that diagram a little knowing on how reading it could be a good start.

Myself when I purchased my XLR I was a bit confuse with the XLR sofisticat electrical system is.

Now I am more familiar with it, I am now passing on my find to all XLR owners.

On this GM diagram…. the left side is the ''Class 2'' circuit that all the modems are involved.
On the right side is ''GMLAN'' circuit, that involve mostly the car power train modules.

If a defective component happen. the module concerned send a message to the cluster and avise the driver of it.

I have chose the word familiar as I realise that many of the owners are not mechanically minded, never the less it will initiate them.

For the ones that are familiar with it, they will appreciate this diagram, as many time some '' do it yourself '' owner have ask questions of this aspect.

Take your time to read it, you could get some understanding, some how.

Good reading.

In order to support the above diagram attached, here is a bulletin from GM explaining the GMLAN and the Class2.

Doing a copy and paste it, then zooming at your choice the bulletin, will make it easier to read.

Good reading

IAN:blinzel:

@    XLR%20tech%20link[1] - Copie.jpg

Just wow!

Thank you for posting this - Amazing that Saturn(of course it is GM) was using the same type of system

The complexity of this, specially at its time is just amazing

Lsnot

Yes at this time the XLR was many years before its time, GM build this car in order to get it mostly to the Cadillac dealerships, as the car needs often some data updated.

GM made this car not friendly in doing ordinary maintenance such as changing a lamp burned bulb, the XLR owner is recommended to have it done by the dealers only, to make sure this car gets to them most of the time.

Thanks

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry