Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Glovebox Fob Slot

Crimson Pearl

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
I'm probably the only person here that didn't know about the Glovebox Fob Slot, but I know about it now! :pat:

I had noticed the last time I drove Crimson Pearl that the display showed "No Fob Detected" once or twice before it recognized the fob and allowed me to start her. I should have heeded that "warning", but I forgot about it.

So tonight, we were going to drive her for a short hop over to the next town to go out for dinner. Crimson Pearl stays in the garage, so she doesn't stay locked. I got in and tried to start her, but she continued to indicate "No Fob Detected" every time I tried to start her. No problem, I just went and got the other Fob.

Same deal. "No Fob detected". This was really frustrating, since I really wanted to drive her tonight. So I checked the owner's manual and it of course suggested that it might be weak batteries. That made sense, because I had not ever replaced them.

That's when I saw the part about inserting the Fob into the slot in the glovebox. Fortunately, I keep a small LED flashlight in the console, and it made it much easier to find the Fob slot.

I inserted the Fob into the slot, and VOILA! It started fine!

We drove her to dinner, and since I couldn't lock her, I sat where I could watch her while having dinner. On the way home, I stopped at Walgreens and picked up a pair of batteries for the Fobs.

After new batteries were installed, both operated fine.

I'm probably the only one who didn't know about the Glovebox Fob slot, but I recommend that everyone that hasn't had to resort to this, take a good look and get familiar with the process!

That and keep a spare pair of batteries around the house for the Fobs! :rolleyes:

I'm terminally lazy, so I keep an unopened package of spare batteries in the center console. And a flashlight.

:pat: CC

I'm terminally lazy, so I keep an unopened package of spare batteries in the center console. And a flashlight.

:pat: CC

Good suggestion! I believe that I will put a spare package of batteries in the console along with the small LED flashlight that stays there!

This incident has just added to my admiration for those that designed and built the XLR. I have the Cadillac XLR book by John McCormick and have read it cover to cover, but I don't recall anything about the Glovebox Fob Slot.

What marvelous engineering to make sure that even with a weak battery, there is a provision for allowing the use of the Fob to start the car! Just another fine example of just how much engineering went into the XLR!

I'm glad you mentioned this. My car has been saying no fobs found every once in a while for the last two weeks. If I pull it out of my pocket and set it on the council it will start fine. DUH. Change the battery. I got a new one today.

Does putting the fob in the slot charge the battery in the fob?

Does putting the fob in the slot charge the battery in the fob?

No. The battery is not a rechargeable type.

I assume that there is a receiver or receiver antenna located there that is more able to detect the coded signal that eminates from the fob constantly, since a low battery would result in a weak signal.

That or there may be an RFI device that can "interrogate" the fob when the battery is weak.

I might just remove the battery from a fob and then insert it into the glovebox slot to see if it will still work. That would probably answer that question!

I'm probably the only person here that didn't know about the Glovebox Fob Slot, but I know about it now! :pat:

I had noticed the last time I drove Crimson Pearl that the display showed "No Fob Detected" once or twice before it recognized the fob and allowed me to start her. I should have heeded that "warning", but I forgot about it.

So tonight, we were going to drive her for a short hop over to the next town to go out for dinner. Crimson Pearl stays in the garage, so she doesn't stay locked. I got in and tried to start her, but she continued to indicate "No Fob Detected" every time I tried to start her. No problem, I just went and got the other Fob.

Same deal. "No Fob detected". This was really frustrating, since I really wanted to drive her tonight. So I checked the owner's manual and it of course suggested that it might be weak batteries. That made sense, because I had not ever replaced them.

That's when I saw the part about inserting the Fob into the slot in the glovebox. Fortunately, I keep a small LED flashlight in the console, and it made it much easier to find the Fob slot.

I inserted the Fob into the slot, and VOILA! It started fine!

We drove her to dinner, and since I couldn't lock her, I sat where I could watch her while having dinner. On the way home, I stopped at Walgreens and picked up a pair of batteries for the Fobs.

After new batteries were installed, both operated fine.

I'm probably the only one who didn't know about the Glovebox Fob slot, but I recommend that everyone that hasn't had to resort to this, take a good look and get familiar with the process!

That and keep a spare pair of batteries around the house for the Fobs! :rolleyes:
Thank you so much for your detailed instructions, they were very helpful especially as to where to find the slot pocket.... Dreamie and I thank you 🤩

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom