Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

GM Support of Discontinued XLR?

MadHungarian

Here I am, prepared to purchase a (used) XLR, and I learn that the model has been discontinued! So, to what degree will GM stand behind the car as the years pass, and how difficult will it become to find replacement mechanical and, heaven forbid, body parts? Your thoughts on this will be appreciated--or should I just move on to an SC430?

Edit: And after reading the "XLR Service" thread, will dealer service become even more problematic? I really want to buy the XLR, but the more I read and then contemplate the future, the more dispirited I become. Can anyone lift my spirits?

Here I am, prepared to purchase a (used) XLR, and I learn that the model has been discontinued! So, to what degree will GM stand behind the car as the years pass, and how difficult will it become to find replacement mechanical and, heaven forbid, body parts? Your thoughts on this will be appreciated--or should I just move on to an SC430?

Edit: And after reading the "XLR Service" thread, will dealer service become even more problematic? I really want to buy the XLR, but the more I read and then contemplate the future, the more dispirited I become. Can anyone lift my spirits?

My XLR is under full warranty and my Dealer takes good care of my X. As long as GM is in business I have no doubt my "Little Bugger" will always be taken care of. I say, if you want one buy it now. There are plans to bring out a new model of the XLR which will have more room in the cockpit. No date has been set when we can expect this to happen.

I purchased mine wrecked and have no warranty at all and wouldn't think of getting rid of it for ANY reason. As long as there is a Cadillac dealership in your area with a trained XLR tech (you can call the dealership and ask), you shouldn't have any problem. If possible, purchase a certified XLR with a warranty. Then, before that warranty runs out, upgrade to a GMPP warranty, as this is the only one that covers the top mechanism.

There are plans to bring out a new model of the XLR which will have more room in the cockpit. No date has been set when we can expect this to happen.

This is new and very good news!!! Where did you pick up this bit of info?

Floyd (BB)

This is new and very good news!!! Where did you pick up this bit of info?

Floyd (BB)

I know the man that has been measured and weighed to design the interior around. He is about 6' 10"/11" and I forget how much he weighs. What I was told by Cadillac management is they want to get the pro athletes to buy XLR's.

I wouldn't worry tooooo much about it. The engine and drivetrain are well engineered and, all in all, generally trouble-free. And with the Internet, finding parts for our cars 9as they age) shouldn't be too much of a problem. Remembe, GM doesn't stock parts for many of the cars they used to manufacture!

GENERALLY, the later years (06 and newer) seem to have fewer issues. Get a CarFax report onit to learn the history of the vehicle. Basically, do your "due diligence".

Trust us - buy one, and you'll be the HAPPY Hungarian! :lol:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back