Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

big language problem apparently, .The fe1 shocks I have changed I have thrown out about 10 sets of those as their is no market for them .No one wants them. Warranty has nothing to do with replacing the shocks. same as customers are off to the wheel and tire store with In a week or so of buying a car. I keep around one or two sets just incase a customer comes in with an older car and want to put a pair on to patch it up of just to get by cheap. I don't sell them , they are not even worth the shipping charges. I will give them to a local customer and just charge the labor to install. if you want the car to float along like a boat on the water these are perfect for you. Most of my customers re older and none race their cars .they just want to feel like they are In control. Like I said hold on when that semi come by because you are going to feel it wit the soft shock. And travel on the shocks has nothing to do with ride height. You can take the shocks off the car and the ride height will be the same sitting . The problem with worn or soft is when you tap the brakes the nose will dive a lot more than with the better shocks and that is what causes you to hit speed bumps or anything lower. shocks rarely bottom out in either direction unless you go airborn or apply the brakes lockup at 70mph. Bilstein says what they do as it will change the way a car handles under speed into a curve if one side bottoms out on the shock. The car takes a set when going around the curve on the highway and if it bottoms out you can loose control. That is why shocks are set up in the middle at static with equal movement up and down unless you are offroading. To try it .Jus tease over a speed bump . then do it again and tap your brakes as soon as your tires touch the bump. your lower radiator support will hit it almost every time. Just as a good driver does not brake while In a turn but before you do the same on speed bumps. stop before you reach it not when you reach it.

The Bilstein promotions videos explain that the B8 is stiffer without compromising the ride, however the shocks is also lower and its travel is also shorter, lately we have debate the problems of buttom out suspensions, that could be very well it.

I'm not going to debate the differences in the actual lengths of the shocks... but the ride height is controlled by the leaf springs and the adjuster bolts on the ends of them.. You can completely remove the shocks, put the XLR on the ground, and the ride height will not be affected by the absence of the shocks. The shocks have no influence over ride height and thusly will not affect "bottoming out"

fe1 vs fe3 heights.

Sally.

Get on the debate level, the travel lenght on a fe1 Soft ride Acdelco shock is 4.42'' and for a fe3 stiffer ride shock it is 3.75''. ( perhaps the same for the Bilstein B8)

Obviously the shocks are dampers, stopping the up and down movements of a car, the spring is giving basically the height of the car….. however, giving a lower height is what Bilstein video said ''it would get the height a bit down'', it makes sense as the stiffer shocks could hold the vehicule for a stiffer ride and giving a certain load on the spring.

Is this enough to hit your driveway…..perhaps.

IAN :blinzel:

Last edited:
just move on. A stiffer shock will not "hold" the car higher or lower.. it only works on bounce and rebound. You must have missed something in the video. it take 60 pounds to compress a factory shock. once compressed half way that lowers to 20 pounds of pressure to hold it in place .that will not change the height of a car. you can put a solid bar in place of the shock which is what we use when we build frames. it holds the frame at ride height for us to build the chassis around it .when removed and a shock installed nothing changes. ride height is just were we set it. coil overs are the exception to the rule.

Racing suspension vs public road car suspension.

Sally.

You are talking of a racing car while I report my find of what Bilstien B8 shocks are saying on a promotion internet video, for their products.

Get back on the public road were the suspensions are of differents specifications and needs.

As you mentioned, a racing car is like having a bar installed as shocks, there is almost no damping like a truck suspension on a light car.

Broom broom sur mon ti bicycle …..

IAN :laugh:

GM vs Bilstein shocks

Hi XLR members

I do not want again to debate the function of the suspension springs for the height and the shocks as a damper of the suspension, as we all agreed with it.

Enclosed is a photo that shows a B8 Bilstein shock and a C6 GM shock, as you can appreciate the B8 is shorter and it is accordingly to the advertising that Bilstein is saying.

The b8 shock is made to fit also the regular XLR suspension spring or of a stiffer and lower sport suspension, of the c6 Corvette.

To get the shocks to fit properly with the XLR spring, the adjustments bolts has to be properly done, in line with the attachements of the shorter B8 shock.
For an XLR, that means it will lowered the car body down, like many members want it…. also the car could hit their driveway, that, they dont want this to happen…. that is for sure.

This is the reason I would go for the GM c6 fe1 shocks, knowing that the Bilstein product is far better, however the GM shock will still keep the soft drive of my XLR that
meets my style of driving.

IAN
:dunno:

14715871_3102_4729_aa10_9fb877d4d48a_5b24c42da113097ce7684675a2ca90afd084cdf6[1].jpg

for one last time as I am done with this. You stated the shock will lower the car. that is totally wrong. The hock will not change the height of the car if it s a street car, a drag car an off road car or a show car. The Shock does not control the height. As your photo shows. the shock mounting points top and bottom are the exact same. the body of the shock is shorter which causes the shock to have less travel over all. when the proper shock is installed the shock usually is in the middle of the travel area. same amount of movement up as down. with the shorter body its not that way. you have more travel in one direction here is what Bilstein says and this per phone call with Hans who says " they do not lower the car. The car needs to be lowered by the bolt to get the maxium use of the shock". . without lowering the car the shock may bottom out due to being made for lowering springs which are stiffer and provide a harder ride and less overall travel of stock springs. per their site

Features and benefits

• For use with lowering spring sets and production sport suspensions
  • Enhanced safety and performance with lowering spring change
  • Sporty feel while maintaining comfort

for use "with lowering spring" so if you want to lower you car this is the shock to use after you adjust your spring perches lower. If you want to leave the stock performance setup these shocks will work with that.

• As I stated you do what ever you want .I will continue to actually work and replace parts on cars that the customers are very happy with. for xlr customers that want to return their car to almost the exact same feel as the car had when it was new and all the part worked as they should the z06 upgrade shocks will give you that exact same feeling with out changing the ride height or anything else on the car.

Last edited:
Hi Sally

First, this C6 used shock stem is lower because its oil or gas were lost, also its inside pressure..... usely the stem is much higher then the New B8, that means the Bilstein shock is still a lot shorter. ( Also the used shocks lay lower and the top bushing is already higher)

As Hans said the rear spring has to be adjusted in order to make it fit in line with the (shorter) new B8 shocks, and doing it so this adjustment, it will obviously create a lower ride, because it is a shorter shock.

This is what I have said from the beganning on this issue and I stand on my opinion.
For sure the B8 is not my choice, may be the B6, but its length would be in first place, very close checked.

I will no longer move on with this issue.

06-1   C5-Shock-Replacement-11-Medium-1024x680[1] (2).jpg

Last edited:
KYB mono gas shock, like the B6 bilstein.

Hi Members

I have today purchased the all around shocks, and also the DTC simulator kit.

KYD was my choice for a Mono tube soft ride gas shocks and the equivalent of the OE and Bilstein shocks B6.

The price are better and a promotion makes them even more attractive, the technology is identical to the B6 shock.
KYB is an America product why not going for it, there is also a limited life warranty.

When upgrading a car system, it is always a risk….. after the installation of them I will make a post and will tell you my opinion.

Shocks are likes the spark plugs it is a matter of choice.

Bye bye ''wet'' mag shocks….. welcome KYB.

IAN :thumbsup

KYB mono gas shock, like the B6 bilstein.

Oops.

Here are the KYB gas mono tube shocks assembly and their part number 555 604 front and 555 609 rear.

kyb-555604_2[1].jpgkyb-555609_3[1].jpg

Rock auto has the correct mag ride shocks. $1500 or so with shipping. They're waiting for me at home. (Trucker)
My feeling was; put the correct shocks on, don't want to mess with "shock simulators" that are reported to work 50% of the time. Keep the car original, etc. Just my thinking, what I did, not trying to stir any controversy.
Also, reading about the original shocks they sound pretty good, adjusting to driving conditions, etc.
I remember seeing something about the height adjusters, I need to find that thread, it looks like somebody tried to lower the car, and I remember seeing something about needing the "special tool" because the rubber bushings at the bottom of the adjuster screws is chewed up looking.
Maybe Long Tall Sally could shed a bit if light on that for me. Meantime I'll search for that post/info.
The "Corvette Center" near me (southern Colorado) had zero interest in working on my car when I called. Saves me an hour drive...

Last edited:
Billy, you did not state what year your car is. the reason I recommend non mag shocks is this. Your car suspension is worn. the front and rear springs are worn the bushings are worn. they are not as firm as they were when new. That is why a little firmer shock like the z06 will return the car to an almost new ride . If your car does not have it, an addition of a rear sway bar will make it even better than new. These cars are 11-16 years old .Tire technology today has improved and changed. All these things add up to a different ride than when the car was new. If you have an 04 or 05 the real problem is that your suspension module will fail. They get wet and fail and they just fail by design. once that happens your mag shocks are just spacers on the car. they do go to a preset firmness but the ride will be awful. used modules bring 2500 when you can find them. That is why with the cost of the shocks being 1500 and potential 2500 to get a used module that's a lot of money vs the value of the car. With the corvette shocks or any non mag shocks and simulator even if the module fails we can do a work around so the car will go over 80. Many people on here have bought the higher priced mag shocks then when the module fails have to pay even more to get the use out of their shocks. 06-09 modules can be bought for much less so then the mag shocks are not big a problem. They also rarely fail. One thing is a good shock will last 40-50,000 miles,new mag shocks are reported to be going out at 15,000-25,000. keep safe . remember when "a buck a mile would make you smile"

New member opinion on mag shocks

Billy.

I was of this opinion 3 years ago, since with that much money spend for the mag shocks and they still now leaking and must be replaced, again, i decide to go for an upgrade street driving Shocks and risking a ''perhaps deception''.

This site section is for debating like we are doing at the present time and not a place for a no respectfully confrontation, but instead exchanging opinions, some like it some dislike it, however many do view ours debating and many also are back for help….that is the meaning of this section.

As previously said by sally, our cars are old and the components of them also, however are they that bad, I dont think so, otherwise our XLR would be in the salvage yards a long time ago, do we have problems, yes, mostly on electrical components, the rest is excellent.

Thanks for your opinion and welcome on the site.

IAN.:wave:

Thanks, Ian. I am new to the car and the forum. I adore my car, it is a silver 2004 also. I'm going to run with the mag ride shocks and hope for the best.
I appreciate LTS's warning re the suspension module, but I guess I'll just hope it holds up.
I don't understand the controversy regarding this subject...
Next go around I will try different ones.
My main question was about the height adjusters on the front. I've looked, but didn't find the post I saw before. Maybe a different xlr forum? I'm only a member on this one, but have seen others.

Thanks, Ian. I am new to the car and the forum. I adore my car, it is a silver 2004 also. I'm going to run with the mag ride shocks and hope for the best.
I appreciate LTS's warning re the suspension module, but I guess I'll just hope it holds up.
I don't understand the controversy regarding this subject...
Next go around I will try different ones.
My main question was about the height adjusters on the front. I've looked, but didn't find the post I saw before. Maybe a different xlr forum? I'm only a member on this one, but have seen others.

I sent you an email with information Billy
I would like for you to expand on the statement you made that simulators work 50% of the time. You see that is the sort of statement that people read and base their choices on. Where did you come up with that information. I can tell you for a fact after doing dozens and helping dozens more with the install, that simulators work 100% of the time. The only time they do not work is when ,People do not know how to install them or their module is not in working order. They do what they are made to do.
there is an earlier post where someone installed the mag shocks, went to the dealer to get his light turned off only to find out their module was bad and they needed a new one. That was back when you could get a new one for 12-1400. Now those are gone and used are like I said 2000-2500
That if fine that you choose the mag shocks. I provide factual information for those looking to do either. If the light on your dash says you can not exceed 80 mph the mag shocks will not fix that and the simulators will not work without a work around that is only known by a couple of people. Good luck with your install and like I said in my email, I will be glad to loan you the tool for adjusting your ride height. Be sure to come back and post on how it worked out

Last edited:
mag shocks or c6 upgrade ones.

Sally.

Billy mention twice he will go for the mag shocks, 50% or 100% of failure on the casper simulator, what different that will make for him.
I have read that some DIY were having problems with the installation, your advise are fines, however….

Dont you beleive that he can experience…... of its own way, that is what Frank Sinatra song said.

With no regrets.

I fully understand and comprehend the English language .A lot better than some people when it come to mechanical and automotive related issues.. I read he had already bought them And was going to use them that was not even a concern or issue.I only asked him to back up his statement that 50% of the sims failed. Where did he see that? Not anywhere I have ever read. He did not mention Casper as you did. There may be some ebay ones that do not work. I only use the Casper.
That is the reason to find out what he is basing a statement on. I don't care one bit about what he uses. That's fine he has a choice . But when what anybody says is incorrect that may cause someone else to spend money based on that statement then it needs to be cleared up. I am sure you have plenty and most people on here are loaded but there are a few that need to keep their cars fully serviceable and safe on a budget.

That is why I told him to be aware of the fact that the modules are expensive and that shocks will not fix a bad module.

Last edited:
Sally, up the curtains for so little.

Sally

We both know that Billy has on hand the purchased mag shocks, so......

Since he is a new member I felt that your question was not friendly ( like the beganning of your latest post to me..… it is your style and I accept that. )

I use the word Casper as this is the only one that I know, is there another supplier, maybe so, base on what you said and what I have read, from a DIY saying that the components were not fitting in the connectors.

Your advices were fine as I Have state, your latest posts is at least clear now for your question previously made, however I feel that there was no need to do so, as Billy has already on hand the mag. shocks.

SVP…..an acceptable level on this debate is welcome.

IAN :(

I appreciate ALL the advice on this issue. I believe it was in one of the first few pages on this thread, somebody said simulators work 50% of the time. I'd have to go look, but frankly I'm tired..
I'll know more tomorrow, I'll report here when the job is done re the 80 mph limit.
Do you think the new shocks will cause the suspension module to fail? If the susp mod fails, am I stuck with the 80 moh limit regardless of what shocks are on the car? Would be too easy for Cadillac to use the same suspension module for all cars, up to the new ones. But I'm sure they changed it every year...
Next set of shocks will definitely be one of the ones you guys mentioned, and now I wouldn't worry about the simulators.

New member opinion on mag shocks

Hi billy.

The change of the present worn-out mag shocks is a replacement, if you do not have a message for the speed limit of your XLR, it means that your module is OK.

Can it fail now and eventually, yes, the chances however are low for the present time.

I like the mag shocks for their soft ride when new,,,,,however the soft become the hard drive feels; within a short period of time, at least with my experience made with them.

Enjoy your expensive for repairs XLR toy, what a joy to drive it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back