Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

Definitely not - search for the panten on the net, there are many sources: GM - NOT ACDelco
ACDelco just build them under license, like oil, fluids and other stuff.
Once GM takes a license away from them they can not use the GM patent number anymore.
(for example ATF Dexron IIIH)

AC Delco is the inventor of the Mag-ride shocks GM direct is not.

We shall see, as the saying goes. My front shocks arrived and I unboxed one of them. It is labeled as being manufactured by BMI, whose website shows them as being an OEM supplier of dampers of many types, including magnetorheological units. Obviously I'll have a chance to compare them to the take-offs when I get to installing them. I'm at least glad the fronts came first, since those are the ones that really seem to need to be replaced. And I'll get the chance to clean up under the hood and in the front wheel wells at the same time (Scrubbing Bubbles being the 'weapon' of choice here. They do the work - so I don't have to!)

John B.

AC Delco was a division of General Motors Corporation when Mag-Ride was developed in the 90's in Flint MI.

be sure to get the proper tool to hold the shocks if yo uare changing the myourself. The little oval top has as special socket to hold it while you loosen the nut. Not holding the center shaft from turning can and most likely will result in failure. Most likely half ot he shocks that have been replaced and fail in as short time are due to mechanics who are not used to mag ride and just spin off the retainer nut wit ha impact. thats ok on a regula gas shock. But spinning the internals that have baffle and all sorts of chambers can result in failure. By the way I think Dorman is working on a replacement. I think I read they have some for the srx or one model already. If you search for a/c delco parts they usually cross reference the factor GM number but they have their own number. I use a lot of a/c condensers and Radiators and buy direct a/c delco replacements. They sometimes are the same as GM but many times are made in completely other countries. A/c -delco is a company just like any other , They buy Taiwan and mexico parts that they label A/c- delco. I do know that to label it they have to be a certain quality that I like .

Last edited:
I installed my new front shocks yesterday.

My new shocks had wrench flats on the top of the shaft and a 7mm open-end wrench grabbed it perfectly. Top nut is 17mm, bottom two bolts and their nuts are 13mm. Squeeze the clip holding the actuator connector on top of the shock to remove it and push back on until it clicks to replace it. The front shocks have to be compressed, both to remove the old ones and to install the new ones, as the new ones aren't banded for shipping. That's likely the hardest part. The old shocks were drenched in leaking fluid and it made for quite the mess.

The ride difference is quite impressive.

John B.

Finished up last night by replacing the rear shocks. The old ones were leaking just as badly as the front ones were. Top two bolts are 13mm and the bottom bolt and nut are 24mm. You need to disconnect the "locating link"/rear tie rod to make room to r&r. The link has a 17mm nut and a 6mm Allen wrench is needed to hold the ball stud when tightening/loosening the nut.

Company stopped by and we worked on one of the other 11 vehicles in the yard so I didn't go for a ride. I'll report back after I do.

John B.

I asked my mechanic about doing this for me and his response was, “we will not jeopardize our business. This could cause your breaking system to fail and its not worth losing our business over!” That sounded like a load of crap.... i need to find a new mechanic.

I asked my mechanic about doing this for me and his response was, “we will not jeopardize our business. This could cause your breaking system to fail and its not worth losing our business over!” That sounded like a load of crap.... i need to find a new mechanic.
yep. sounds like you have a parts replacer and not a technician. The mag shocks have nothing to do with the braking system . Find yourself a good corvette tech and he can service your car fine.

My GM Dealership did the whole exchange! What’s that tell ya .... LOL He is full of poop [emoji90]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you buy the Bilstein's for a C6 corvette, or a Cadillac XLR ? I think I would like to do this to my ca before it needs it. Anyone have any more advice, I have worked on my cars for years and have a pretty good knowledge about cars but not Mag ride.
Thanks.

Do you buy the Bilstein's for a C6 corvette, or a Cadillac XLR ? I think I would like to do this to my ca before it needs it. Anyone have any more advice, I have worked on my cars for years and have a pretty good knowledge about cars but not Mag ride.
Thanks.

This is Dan I have 05 base and you will want to check the spring adjuster ( Lowering Bolts, mine where shot)
I just switched out all 4 shocks, and all 4 spring adjuster (lowering bolt) For our 2005 XLR here the information
Bilstein Shocks
Front - B8-24-029773
Rear - B8-24-029780
I found the best price with RockAuto.com
RockAuto

You will need the Simulators (They Trick the computer to think the mag shocks are still installed) Part # 109096
I purchased from JEGS If your a new customer you can get 20% off
They will still come from Casper Electronics
JEGS High Performance Parts | Aftermarket Auto Parts & Accessories

If you need to switch out the Spring Adjusters (All 4 Lowering Bolts) this is part # 624104 Use C6 Corvette Bolt Set of 4 for the 05 XLR
Purchased at:
Southern Car Parts
Corvette Parts & Accessories for C5, C6, C7, Z06, ZR1 | Southern Car Parts

Last edited:
My newly acquired 2007 XLR needs shocks at 41.5k. I am debating which route to take. New magnetics or simulators and regular shocks.
How do the simulators work?
I have read that they are just resistors.
Any info is appreciated.

Got rid of mine last spring, personally to me it handles better, as for the ride, it’s about the same, maybe a bit more ridge and little stiffer! The cost is probably at least, half the cost of doing the mag shocks again! My 2nd pair of originals mags shocks didn’t even hold up for 50 thousand mile and that’s when I change the original set too the 2nd set, that was not long after I purchased mine 05 in March 2011 it was around 55K, that’s why I chose to do change over! As for the simulators they are working fine on mine, but I had the Cadillac dealer do mine, they also exchanged the spring adjuster pads, then realigned everything to factory specs. I bought all the parts, they just did the installed! I will say even my wife said it handles and rides like a Cadillac should now! I have no regrets!

FromBilstein "Bilstein B8 Performance Plus dampers are a performance upgrade to OE dampers designed to be paired with aftermarket lowering springs. "
Do they work with standard springs?

FYI from Bilstein-
profile_mask2.png
Junior.Africa@thyssenkrupp.com

Hello, B8 dampers are strictly for lowered vehicles. Using a B8 on standard ride height will give a top out sensation due to the more aggressive droop limiter.
B6 dampers are the correct choice for standard ride height.
I am not sure now whether to use B8 or B6 on my 2007 XL.
What are you guys doing?

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody style="display: block;">
</tbody>

FYI from Bilstein-
profile_mask2.png
Junior.Africa@thyssenkrupp.com

Hello, B8 dampers are strictly for lowered vehicles. Using a B8 on standard ride height will give a top out sensation due to the more aggressive droop limiter.
B6 dampers are the correct choice for standard ride height.
I am not sure now whether to use B8 or B6 on my 2007 XL.
What are you guys doing?

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody style="display: block;">
</tbody>

If you look back a few post on the post column, you’ll see my post with everything, including part numbers, where to buy, and all the information on what was installed on my 05. If you have questions I’d call the places where I purchased from and ask them of there recommendations! Your 2007 maybe different, but I’m not sure!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back