Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Greetings from Flint Michigan

Goal10r

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Silver XLR
So I’m a former Allante owner looking to upgrade a bit and as I sift through the EBay’s and Auto traders to research XLR’s I find a local place selling an 04 with a trashed interior, fogged headlights and the top doesn’t work. I know just enough about the tops to stay the heck away but I am oddly very attracted to this car. The car fax showes no accidents and the miles are 56k, it has V emblems but my knowledge of this car is almost zero. I’ve got some mechanical skills from my days of putting V-8’s into MG’s but technology isn’t my strong suit and this car is a whole ‘nother world. The engine sounds solid and the tranny shifts smooth but the previous owner showed zero respect for this former beauty queen as it’s now a hot mess. Like a sad puppy in a kennel I simply cannot leave it, it comes home with me for $17,200. pus tax and tags.
So I’ll chronicle this journey and ask for tons of verbal help and offered prayers :)
I’ll start by pulling out the seats, carpet, door pads, center console, etc this weekend and as I gather Caddy confidence I’ll jump into the minefield of the convertible top. The top doesn’t move but I’m told I can manually operate it via the little square hole in the bumper which the key does seem to fit. There is an Allen wrench in the center console which I am also told will release the front of the top. Here are a couple quick pics, I’ll share pics of the dumping ground formerly know as interior, this weekend.

Attachments

• 417B599F-3787-4915-9DF7-7AD71B8AB232.jpeg
    417B599F-3787-4915-9DF7-7AD71B8AB232.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
  • F57D5CDD-B9E3-4A7D-9C21-CB16E8481858.jpeg
    F57D5CDD-B9E3-4A7D-9C21-CB16E8481858.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
So I’m a former Allante owner looking to upgrade a bit and as I sift through the EBay’s and Auto traders to research XLR’s I find a local place selling an 04 with a trashed interior, fogged headlights and the top doesn’t work. I know just enough about the tops to stay the heck away but I am oddly very attracted to this car. The car fax showes no accidents and the miles are 56k, it has V emblems but my knowledge of this car is almost zero. I’ve got some mechanical skills from my days of putting V-8’s into MG’s but technology isn’t my strong suit and this car is a whole ‘nother world. The engine sounds solid and the tranny shifts smooth but the previous owner showed zero respect for this former beauty queen as it’s now a hot mess. Like a sad puppy in a kennel I simply cannot leave it, it comes home with me for $17,200. pus tax and tags.
So I’ll chronicle this journey and ask for tons of verbal help and offered prayers :)
I’ll start by pulling out the seats, carpet, door pads, center console, etc this weekend and as I gather Caddy confidence I’ll jump into the minefield of the convertible top. The top doesn’t move but I’m told I can manually operate it via the little square hole in the bumper which the key does seem to fit. There is an Allen wrench in the center console which I am also told will release the front of the top. Here are a couple quick pics, I’ll share pics of the dumping ground formerly know as interior, this weekend.
Sounds like a great adventure. Here’s a good starting point on how the top is supposed to work.
These are also notorious for fried top control modules. It is in the left side cubby-hole in the trunk which can flood and short out electronics. The body looks like an amalgamation of various parts. The fenders are 2009, the hood is from a V, and the wheels are from a newer V. The V didn’t come out until 2006. Maybe post a pic of the engine to see if it has a transplanted engine as well?

🙏🏻🙏🏻
I will post many pics this weekend. I had to bring the car home and park it, headed north for a couple days which is really difficult with the car parked and waiting. I’ll happy share my adventures, we’ll get this car figured out who and what it is, see if we can’t bring her back to glory.
Very excited to be a part of your forum.

looking at the pictures looks like they did some mods to it the fender vent is for a 2009 model only and they didn't make a 2004 V it didn't come out until 2006 the little square on the bumper is to open the trunk to manually
open the top you have to remove the console on the back in between the seats and read your manual its an ordeal to say the least it was intended for closing the top manually in case you were caught with it open and it stopped working but good luck should be a fun project

You have the best looking rear bumper as its the 09. If your cover for the hole in the rear bumper is missing ,it is 09 only and there are none.

Thank you Sammy. On my car demo ride I pulled over and stopped for about a half hour and went through the manual top thing. The car doesn’t have a book manual but I worked my way though it and got the trunk up but couldn’t release the top at the windshield. But I did see a drenched and corroded top module and the pumps. Bottom left did have a lot of moisture, I touched it and it seemed like hydraulic fluid so maybe a pump is leaking. I’ll get back into it this weekend. I’ll order an online shop manual when I’m back Friday. I’m ready to order the module, new carpet, door pads, leather seat covers, console etc. I’ll get the top opened up and strip the interior, it’s filthy. In the meantime I’m on a mini vacation with the wife but she already knows my thoughts are on the car and we are wondering what the heck I bought. 🙂 very fun and exciting for me.

I’m a lucky man so far, I found the little square plastic key hole cover in the glove box. 🙂

looking at the pictures looks like they did some mods to it the fender vent is for a 2009 model only and they didn't make a 2004 V it didn't come out until 2006 the little square on the bumper is to open the trunk to manually
open the top you have to remove the console on the back in between the seats and read your manual its an ordeal to say the least it was intended for closing the top manually in case you were caught with it open and it stopped working but good luck should be a fun project

By the way, I owned an ‘87 Allante for about 10 years, it trained me to be good with manual tops. 🙂

This one as stated can be done but its not near as easy as most cars that you just loosen the pump and throw the top back. The xlr has a series of over center hinges that sort of lock it in place . they have to manually be pulled open to get the top to move plus dont foget to open the pump valve so you are not fighting the pump. The rear bumper hole cover should have a thin strip to attach to the bumper to keep it from falling off and getting lost. Most of those break off

Thank you for the advice. I just ordered the set of Manuals for an 04, who knows what I’m going to run into.
Anxious to get going, 🌝

I have a set for 200. Thats what they are worth. I have pumps, i rebuild headlights i have suspension modules top modules any parts for the car and like i said, i am cheaper than anyone on ebay.

Love it.
I need to figure out exactly what I need and we will do some biz. I need my headlights done, can I send them to you?

Ok i would need some photos of the headlights to see how bad they are. We have a guy looking to make new outer lens. Some ofvthem if the scratchesvare too deep cannot be made to look much better. I will round up the manuals. Another member borrowed them and i need to get them back.

Great, let me know when the manuals are available and we can take care of the $ part. I am committing to purchase for 200.
I’ll get pics of the headlights on Saturday.

Welcome aboard!!!!

Thank you for the welcome. Happy to be here.
So back in town and was anxious to get stayed this am, out the door at 6:00am 🤭.
The plan was to put her up on jack stands, pull the wheels, begin to troubleshoot the top, begin write up of interior materials needed and order.
So I start taking pics and my wife calls, my daughter has Covid. Ugh. Closed up “shop” and headed home. Daughter seems to be acting fine (she has cerebral palsy) but wife is in a small tiz so the “X” will have to wait. But I can begin to order stuff. I took photos of the light lenses, the really bad seat (this dude musta been BIG cuz this seat is trashed. Drivers door panel needs to go. Capet needs to go. The electronic screen works but it is Sun damaged, not sure if anything can be done there.
Where on the engine would I look for the ID#? I’d like to make sure numbers match as Michael has recommended.
If daughter is acting well tomorrow maybe I can sneak over to my shop, good grief I just need a couple hours…
Sounds like a great adventure. Here’s a good starting point on how the top is supposed to work.
These are also notorious for fried top control modules. It is in the left side cubby-hole in the trunk which can flood and short out electronics. The body looks like an amalgamation of various parts. The fenders are 2009, the hood is from a V, and the wheels are from a newer V. The V didn’t come out until 2006. Maybe post a pic of the engine to see if it has a transplanted engine as well?
thank you MP! Very helpful.

Attachments

• 52502296-C96B-4409-9352-BA4230CFFDA2.jpeg
    52502296-C96B-4409-9352-BA4230CFFDA2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
  • 2ECC78F7-F543-44DB-8B90-300F2904B86A.jpeg
    2ECC78F7-F543-44DB-8B90-300F2904B86A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 136
  • 8BAA28DA-A889-4696-B1BB-3E198BB07A81.jpeg
    8BAA28DA-A889-4696-B1BB-3E198BB07A81.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
  • 935F4E49-8241-454C-B03E-13AFB3C3DE47.jpeg