Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hardtop res. level

corv75

Hardtop works 95% of the time, I checked reservoir level with the top up. When I open the trunk the reservoir is a whole inch above max. What is correct way to check level with top up or down.

Search but did not find info. Thanks

Per Service Manuals

Inspect the hydraulic fluid level with the vehicle parked on a level surface, with the folding top in the closed position. (Top up.) fluid part # 89022748.

Hardtop works 95% of the time, I checked reservoir level with the top up. When I open the trunk the reservoir is a whole inch above max. What is correct way to check level with top up or down.

Search but did not find info. Thanks

Thanks so I did it right. I also did it with top down and level did not change. Unless the fluid has just stained the res. at the high level. I will have to look at draining some to see if it will come down. Thanks for the info

The hydraulic fluid does stain the plastic reservoir. If fluid low, operation will be sluggish all the time. Be aware fluid is expensive and somewhat hard to come by.

Maybe you all know about this already but interesting and may help others

On searching for oilI found this interesting blog from the SSR forum. The guy sent his top to Top Hydraulics, Inc. for rebuild. Part of his qoute below.

I didn't have enough roof oil to complete the purging of roof. I had purchased roof oil a few years back, Part# 89022748 Cost $52.00 for 16 oz from Dealer.

I started looking for roof oil and the Part# has changed to ACDelco 88865214 or short #10-5056.

Found one 16oz container at Cadillac for $44.00 ACDeclo

Klaus from Top Hydraulics, Inc emailed me the manufacture that makes the oil for ACDelco. They just label it for Cadillac, Chevy, BMW, Saab, Mersadies Benz, etc.

IT IS MADE BY PENTOSIN PART# CHF11S!!

Where do you get it?? Advance Auto, Napa, Autozone.

Twice the amount at half the cost.

ONE liter, $24.00 plus tax.

Thanks Top Hydraulics, Inc.

Dicktator

Mine is a little high too, I'm sure nobody has done anything to it since it was new.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are having problems I bet a top relearn with a tech II would fix it.

On searching for oilI found this interesting blog from the SSR forum. The guy sent his top to Top Hydraulics, Inc. for rebuild. Part of his qoute below.

I didn't have enough roof oil to complete the purging of roof. I had purchased roof oil a few years back, Part# 89022748 Cost $52.00 for 16 oz from Dealer.

I started looking for roof oil and the Part# has changed to ACDelco 88865214 or short #10-5056.

Found one 16oz container at Cadillac for $44.00 ACDeclo

Klaus from Top Hydraulics, Inc emailed me the manufacture that makes the oil for ACDelco. They just label it for Cadillac, Chevy, BMW, Saab, Mersadies Benz, etc.

IT IS MADE BY PENTOSIN PART# CHF11S!!

Where do you get it?? Advance Auto, Napa, Autozone.

Twice the amount at half the cost.

ONE liter, $24.00 plus tax.

Thanks Top Hydraulics, Inc.

Dicktator

We're going to be making use of that info - thanks for finding & sharing!

To hot for top to go down

The top and trunk work fine in temps below 80 or so, but when it gets warmer the trunk lid does not want to go up. I can help it sometimes by hand then the top will work just fine. Is this a sign of low fluid. I cant see the mark on the oil resevoir

The top and trunk work fine in temps below 80 or so, but when it gets warmer the trunk lid does not want to go up. I can help it sometimes by hand then the top will work just fine. Is this a sign of low fluid. I cant see the mark on the oil resevoir

There are two gas struts, one on each side of the trunk lift mechanism to assist the hydraulics in lifting the trunk. I suspect they may be getting weak and need to be replaced. I was wondering if that would become a problem as our cars get older as they always fail in other applications over time.

Awesome help

There are two gas struts, one on each side of the trunk lift mechanism to assist the hydraulics in lifting the trunk. I suspect they may be getting weak and need to be replaced. I was wondering if that would become a problem as our cars get older as they always fail in other applications over time.
Thanks had to replace front hood ones last summer so hopefully that's the problem. No sign of any leaking.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom