Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Head gasket replacment

redsoxdad2

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Does anyone know if it is difficult to replace a head gasket and if it is expensive to have someone do it.

Does anyone know if it is difficult to replace a head gasket and if it is expensive to have someone do it.

Its about 22 hrs. labor to do both That should give you some idea

I had to have mine done couple of years ago. I had car shipped from PA to Dallas Tx and had whole engine rebuilt and added studs. About $5300 for complete rebuild, 1100 to ship down. I flew down and drove car back so about another 1000. Well worth sending there. If you are interested, I'll lookup contact info for them.

I had to have mine done couple of years ago. I had car shipped from PA to Dallas Tx and had whole engine rebuilt and added studs. About $5300 for complete rebuild, 1100 to ship down. I flew down and drove car back so about another 1000. Well worth sending there. If you are interested, I'll lookup contact info for them.

I am bringing my XLR to my mechanic next week and he going to do a presser check. I am loosing antifreeze but don't know where. I just wanted to know how much if I had to do the head gasket. Thanks I will know more after next week. But it sounds like doing the motor rebuild might be the way to go if I need to do the head gasket. Then everything will be new.

I am bringing my XLR to my mechanic next week and he going to do a presser check. I am loosing antifreeze but don't know where. I just wanted to know how much if I had to do the head gasket. Thanks I will know more after next week. But it sounds like doing the motor rebuild might be the way to go if I need to do the head gasket. Then everything will be new.

I would be trying to figure out how to drop a 6.2 in it...

XLR Northstar

I see people posting problems with the XLR Northstar like all the other Northstar troubles. I have a 2008 XLR and a 2000 Eldorado ETC. The XLR has 22,000 miles and the Eldo has 95,000. I have not seen any of these HIGH DOLLAR problems yet and hope I never do. It is hard to believe that after all these years with the Northstar they would put a defective motor in the $85,000 plus XLR from 2004 to 2009. I had the "LOW OIL PRESSURE/STOP ENGINE on my 2000 Eldo and had the oil pressure checked at Cadillac Dealer and it was 15 psi at hot idle and 45 psi at 2000 RPM, well within the spec's. I had them replace the Oil pressure Switch and the Low Oil Switch and then check the Pressure switch wires for shorts, grounds and swinging opens. The problem is gone and I am sure they looked to see if any of the wires were pinched or grounded. So now I am a happy 2000 Eldo owner. There are a lot of people getting screwed for repairs on Nothstars for all the bad info. I believe if you do all the service that GM says you should do, the Northstar will last just as long as any V8... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. AND I ALSO LOVE MY CADILLAC'S, THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!:)

Carroll Cadillac

Carroll Cadillac
PO Box 508
Pilot Point TX 76258
THIS IS THE MAN TO SEE.

How much is that going to cost?

About 8-10k for the engine,harness,and controllers. Now adapting it seamlessly to the xlr platform and electronics. Platform not so hard the electronics might be another. Theirs a clip on YouTube of a guy doing a dyno run and he's shifting through the gears (manual). That means he change something dramatic to be doing that. Better luck getting a V better starting point for numbers. And the 4.4 has more cylinder to cylinder webbing and more gasket surface area for that northstar gasket and headbolt thread problem. Would be cool to see it done though:thumbsup

Thanks for the feed back on the head gasket replacement. I just found out some good news from my mechanic. The leak is the water pump and not the head gaskets. Relieved to hear that, he will also replace the camshaft actuator seals that are weeping just enough to drip on my garage floor. Total cost of fix is around $800 dollars, better than $2 - $3k for the head gaskets.
Again thank you to everyone for the feed back.

Redsoxdad, by the way the Sox aren't doing so good this year:rolleyes:

head gasket replacment

can you supply the name of the repair shop that did the motor work. I can't find anyone willing to do the work

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom