Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlight repair service?

And just to be extra sure (I know I'm beating a dead horse), this doesnt happen at all to 06+ model years, correct?

Originally, no, but as the years pass there are starting to be reports on here about it happening to ‘06 & ‘07 at a minimum. Replacing the DRL’s with LED’s - detailed on a thread on here - is a must do upgrade.

A lower tech preventative is to keep your headlights on when you drive (just fogs may do the trick too) so the DRL’s are off.

Originally, no, but as the years pass there are starting to be reports on here about it happening to ‘06 & ‘07 at a minimum. Replacing the DRL’s with LED’s - detailed on a thread on here - is a must do upgrade.

A lower tech preventative is to keep your headlights on when you drive (just fogs may do the trick too) so the DRL’s are off.

With the headlight switch left in the On position, does it still turn off with the ignition?

Or how about covering the sun sensor if there's one on the dash? Though I suspect that may interfere with automatic climate control.

So where are we at with this? I would like to replace both my front headlight lenses but understand the only practical way to do so is through repair. Have you arrived at a viable solution?

The 3D lens looks great in the photo.

It's very expensive (20k+) in manufacturing startup costs to build the whole headlight. I would say 90% of the repair issues are with the lens and/or the outer Lens. They can be 3D printed somewhat economically, BUT there are heat sensitivity and installation issues. Right now it's down to how desperate you are. I recently made an outer lens and installed it on the drivers side headlight for a customer for $1600. The headlight looks great and the customer can now legally drive their XLR, but not at night (fill in your own joke line here); using the halogen bulb will probably melt the lens. I hope to fix that issue with an all LED headlight setup, though I have to work on other projects right now to make a living.

What u are doing here is very cool and smart. I have considered it myself - and in my company we do a lot of prototyping for our IoT stuff, so I know the error issue!
I am definitely interested - the vacuum forming of a heated polymer sheet if you have a good mold maybe the right way to go and 3D printing the DLR or casting them - frankly I have been looking at buying a salvage XLR with lights intact so I could use it for parts in the coming years. But there are some 14,000 still on the road and having a capacity to offer an after market product is worthwhile but as u said NOT cheap! But its cheaper than the alternative of NO lights at all! Or 4k for a refurbished light.

So count me in. And no matter what I admire your work.

I am thinking closer to 8000-9000 left and there are about 200-300 a year getting parted out so there will soon be more parts than people willing to buy them and then the cost will come down. I bought a stock of the upper lens from a former member who had people tell him they would help with the cost. When they did not and he priced them for a couple hundred each they told him they should be about 50$ each. A lot of folks think this is easy. I am moving away from the cosmetics this winter and working on keeping them going with top modules and suspension modules. without those people will not enjoy driving the cars and a lot more will get sent to the bone yard.

I have the STLs of the outer lenses and the DRL lenses. I would be willing to swap my STLs for the STL of the reflector. I want to change some of shapes on the reflector for LEDs. Halos would look great in this headlight.

So few, amazing. And you are right the modules matter, a lot. I am of a similar mind of how to be able to manage parts that clearly are not easily found. However, the good think about electronic parts is that it is highly probably that the same component is being used elsewhere. I would venture to guess that GM did not have limited product runs of relay or other such items. And I have engineering friends from MIT that tinker with this stuff all the time and could probably find replacements. My problem is not knowing anything about any of it! I am not tying to replace the sun-visors and the C6 is supposed to be compatible but not sure.

Yah - I love the car, but it will require some effort over the long haul. But it will look good next to the red 2020 convertible C8 Z51 i have on allocation at my local corvette dealer.

Still want to replace those DLR lenses. Agh!

Keep me posted

As much as I like the stock lights, I would be very open to new styles made for this car.

I know that small numbers of this car were made but it seems like a simple search of headlights on ebay for any of my other cars produces many options that very in price.

Hope some talented business takes this up before I really need some. I also wish Weather tech made floor mats for this one but...

Yes that among many other things. My Cadillac dealer ever said that taillight and headlight assemblies on come other Cadillac models are very close and since the bodies are fiberglass adapting the panel to take the new and available parts would be cheaper that staying original.

And some are seriously close in shape and style - I looked - and at $3-4k to replace these parts EACH ! Well its a thought - or I need to add a lot more "0" at the end of my bank balance.
So for now I consider myself lucky and am looking to buy a salvage or really rough high mileage unit and use it for parts.

So the last post here is almost 2 years old, has anyone come up with a solution to the melted DRL?

I manufactured new upper lens. Problem is they are difficult to install and need a pro shop to do the work. We had a good one that did a dozen lights for members before getting a pair of lights and disappearing with them and the lens I sent him. Still looking for him. I have a couple of sets of lens left .

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom