Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello from the D

Thanks Guys, lol

well, I’m going back today. I hope it’s still there.
ill get more pics too.

Last edited:
Welcome to The XLR Forum

Welcome to The Site. FYI, it is my understanding that the headlights in 2004' and a maybe a few 2005's (?) have problems. Apparently they get too hot and melt or something? I understand they are often replaced with those out of a 2006 or newer. Also, they aren't cheap. Around $3000.00 to maybe $5,000.00 each on eBay. Good luck in your search, and again 'Welcome To The Site'! :wave:

Check for water in the electronics/hydraulics well in the trunk on the drivers side. Very expensive to fix. If it shows a water line above the electronics, look elsewhere.

Check for water in the tail/headlights (almost impossible to find replacements).

Look for light oil on the upper part of the engine these a cheap to fix, if it looks like it's been steam cleaned recently it may have had oil leaks. By now it's either been fixed, or not. Look for lower oil leaks, these are expensive to fix, which this year did have a problem with, but was repairable. Mine was done years ago under warrantee.

Cycle the top up and down a few times.

Watch for the engine speed to go up and down after starting, this can point toward simple vacuume leaks, mostly easy to fix hard to find.

I'm guessing you bought it already or have moved on?

Really Good Advice on some common XLR issues.

Check for water in the electronics/hydraulics well in the trunk on the drivers side. Very expensive to fix. If it shows a water line above the electronics, look elsewhere.

Check for water in the tail/headlights (almost impossible to find replacements).

Look for light oil on the upper part of the engine these a cheap to fix, if it looks like it's been steam cleaned recently it may have had oil leaks. By now it's either been fixed, or not. Look for lower oil leaks, these are expensive to fix, which this year did have a problem with, but was repairable. Mine was done years ago under warrantee.

Cycle the top up and down a few times.

Watch for the engine speed to go up and down after starting, this can point toward simple vacuume leaks, mostly easy to fix hard to find.

I'm guessing you bought it already or have moved on?

Yup. Good advice! Mine dripped oil from the front bottom of the timing chain cover when I first got it. Not much. Just a drop or two occasionally, yet annoying. :( So I decided to fix it myself. A real PITA Job. Pull the radiator, drain the cooling system, etc. Basically disassemble the whole front of the engine. Special puller required for removing The Harmonic Balancer (borrowed one from a friend who's a Cadillac Tec). Why the factory won't use a skim coat of RTV Sealer on flat gasket matting surfaces at assembly to me is just stupid. Would probably cost them an additional $2.00 per vehicle? Anyhow, I did get it done, and no more leaks.

And for the vacuum leaks? Yes, surging is evidence of this. Spritzing small amounts of Brake Cleaner around the intake manifold and known engine vacuum locations will result in a change of engine RPM which one can hear. If this occurs, that's where the vacuum leak is located. The 10mm bolts around XLR intakes are famous for becoming loose by themselves. To retighten, 86 inch pounds following the torque setting sequence. Yet when testing, keep a fire extinguisher handy as Brake Cleaner is highly flammable!

hope you used 2 bolts per factory specs to reinstall the crankshaft. Its a one time use bolt. You have to have one new one to torgue with, then remove it and replace with another. If you didnt, might want to check it out as when the crankshaft comes loose so to the oil pump from what I have heard. Not done one yet but really need to be sure you did it correctly

Yup. Sure did. : )

hope you used 2 bolts per factory specs to reinstall the crankshaft. Its a one time use bolt. You have to have one new one to torgue with, then remove it and replace with another. If you didnt, might want to check it out as when the crankshaft comes loose so to the oil pump from what I have heard. Not done one yet but really need to be sure you did it correctly

Totally correct. In fact I actually read the manual thoroughly before I did this job. Did indeed use two crankshaft bolts. Also a skim coat of RTV Sealer. ;) Better yet? No leaks.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom