Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Help a newbie please! Suspension issues / upgrades

TLR XLR

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Platinum XLR V
Hey Guys,

I am hoping you can help me out. My uncle passed away and left me an XLR. I was ready to get something myself, and like high performance, so I traded for an XLR-V exactly the same as the XLR so I can make the car my own and still pay respect to my unlce (TLR), hence the user name TLR XLR. My uncle was Terry Ridpath and attended XLR meets before so you all may know him. Awesome guy!

Anyway... I am not looking to autocross, but do want to kick up the performance a bit. It already has intake, headers and a blue printed supercharger. I made some cozmetic mods. Had headlights redone with LED's like new cars, blacked it out a bit, have 20" wheels on it. The 20's are almost the right offset, but can't be milled any more, so they are what they are. For some reason, the passenger side rear sticks out just a little bit more then the driver's side and it is chewing up that fender. No one can figure out why... A post I came across said something about the cross member being out of whack a bit??? If not, and I can't figure it out, I was thinking increasing the negative camber a bit would help out. Not crazy, just pitch the wheels a little bit so they tuck under rear fender better on bumps. An alignment shop maxed out the stock adjustment. I am wondering if a corvette c6 camber kit may help???

Also, the shocks are shot, so I wanted to do coilovers and tried following threads all about suspension data, but I got lost. I am not that well-versed. I got in touch with D3, but they haven't given me the parts I need to order and not sure if there are other resources you guys know about. Can you recommend a stiffer setup that would also help my car from chewing the rear fender? I am thinking that is part of the problem as well.

I also wanted to get sway bars. Recommendations? Just want to tighten it up. Again, not autocrossing. I saw a thread all about different sway bars off of corvettes, but was just hoping for a resource that can provide me the coilovers and sway bars and be done with it.

Z06 brakes are on the agenda as well, but need to confirm they will work with my wheels, so I am bringing to a local corvette shop and they are going to test fit on a z06 they have.

Lastly, I am getting the B&B exhuast with mild to wild.

Can you veterans help with some of my questions, please please please?

Thanks so much,

Bill
(914) 456-2785
bgviper76@yahoo.com

Go to google & do an advanced search on just this site for posts by GizmoQ. He DOES do auto cross (among other things) & has done all sorts of mods to his V along the lines of what you're thinking of. I think he did an entire thread on trying out different suspension mods. You can probably find answers by reading his stuff.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I had seen Gizmo's post and it looks super informative, but I just can't grasp all of it. My post was actually a private message to Gizmo first, but the server kicked back that his inbox is full, so then I posted this message to the entire forum.

Any simplified (dumbed down! lol) advice? Looking for what type of coilovers to get to stiffen up the car, which sway bars, and what I can do to increase negative camber just a bit over the stock adjustment.

All of these answers (with contact info or part numbers for where to get them) would be most appreciated.

I appreciate your time guys.

Thanks again

Bill

upgrades

Hi Bill,
I just installed Hotchkis sway bars front and back on my 2008 xlrv. Wow what a difference. Found the cheapest price of all places at tirerack.com
Skip the ZO6 brake upgrade - just finished installing Willwood Aero big brake kit all around. Holy Toledo what a difference!! I have posted picks on the main page titled XLR-V mods.
Regards,
Scott

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry