Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

help - location of trunk key

kenai

My XLR/V(s)
2004 crimson pearl
Hi All - want to open trunk with key. description is a bit vague. is the place inside or outside of car? is it near rear bumper? the cover to remove ? what does it look like? thxs kenai

Got it - opens with fob; i close by hand ..is it suppose to close electrically/..thxs kenai

Last edited:
Closes by pressing the trunk button on the inside under where trunk latch is. Do not manually close it!!!!!!!!! The key fob and the button under the dash only opens the trunk. You have to press the button under the trunk area lid. Or another way is when using the roof open close button you can open and shut that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another smart thing I learned is to always run a full opening or closing to a complete the full cycle when putting top up and down until the trunk full closes. Then reopen the trunk again by any of the inside, or above the license plate button or key fob!
Always close the trunk with the inner button on the interior of trunk lid you could cause $$$$ major harm to the trunk pump by forcing down manually!
I'd advise if you have your car manual to read it front to back, all kinks of do's don't in there!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

To open the trunk manually, there is a small cover on the left side of the rear bumper cover; it's about 1 1/4" square. Pop this open using your key, then there is a key cylinder under this cover to insert your key into and release the trunk latch. Be aware that the trunk lid is VERY HEAVY to manually open.

To open the trunk manually, there is a small cover on the left side of the rear bumper cover; it's about 1 1/4" square. Pop this open using your key, then there is a key cylinder under this cover to insert your key into and release the trunk latch. Be aware that the trunk lid is VERY HEAVY to manually open.

I would like to add, it does not harm anything to close the trunk manually. I hope those of you that are new owners of the XLR received the book of instructions that came with them when they were first sold. I realize most owners never take time to read but a lot of good information is contained in the books.

R u talking about the owners manual. :lol: or is there another "bible" for our cars

I would like to add, it does not harm anything to close the trunk manually.

I don't know that I agree with this.

In order to force the trunk closed manually you must overpower the hydraulics raising the hydraulic pressure above the setting of the safety relief valve in the hydraulic pump module. During normal operation forces/pressures this high are NEVER seen by the linkages, joints, pistons or seals. While the damage may not be immediately evident, continued overloading of the linkages and/or the excessive hydraulic pressures can not be good.

No where in any of the manuals are you instructed to force the trunk closed without first opening the bypass valve on the hydraulic pump, as in the procedure for putting the roof up manually.

When I had first got the xlr the wife and I had went shopping. I had popped the trunk from inside when we had got home. I forgot what was in my hands but when she went to close the trunk lid the typical way you would any other car it closed. I yelled but from the time she did it and I could say something it started closing. I cycled the trunk and times multiple times afterward and never a problem. Now I would never recommend shutting the trunk lid that way nor ever do it again but it seemed to go down as it would normally after she applied the little bit of pressure. :dunno:

The other books

R u talking about the owners manual. :lol: or is there another "bible" for our cars

Yes there is the big collection of bibles for our cars. :eek: Of course they are year specific. I measured them at the time but forgot how thick that pile was. Just wasn't in the mood or have the time to start reading all of that.

Geeeezzz until you get done you would forget what you had already read!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes there is the big collection of bibles for our cars. :eek: Of course they are year specific. I measured them at the time but forgot how thick that pile was. Just wasn't in the mood or have the time to start reading all of that.

Where could someone pic up for their 2006 xlr base. Maybe at a auto parts store. Please advise.

Factory Service Manuals

You can find them on Helms, but beware they are not cheap. Everything you want to know or care to know about your XLR and XLR-V. You might be able to find them on ebay, but I wouldn't count on it. I don't know that you would need the transmission manuals, best check with somebody that works or has worked on these cars. These are also above the average persons head as you really need a lot of the test equipment and training to do the technical stuff. They might be ok to gain some knowledge, but keep in mind a lot of the XLR is a sophisticated machine. I also have a 93 DeVille that I have a FSM for also, and I can do nearly all of the work on it myself because I have the majority of tools for it. The XLR, different animal.

Helm Incorporated: Search Results

Yeah but it would be a nice collectors item or would it?

When I had first got the xlr the wife and I had went shopping. I had popped the trunk from inside when we had got home. I forgot what was in my hands but when she went to close the trunk lid the typical way you would any other car it closed. I yelled but from the time she did it and I could say something it started closing. I cycled the trunk and times multiple times afterward and never a problem. Now I would never recommend shutting the trunk lid that way nor ever do it again but it seemed to go down as it would normally after she applied the little bit of pressure. :dunno:

Before I bought my XLR my daughter, grandson and I was at the dealership having service on one of my cars.
They had an XLR in the showroom demonstrating it to my daughter and grandson. I had walked away, probably to get a cup of coffee and my salesman went back to his office. My grandson closed the trunk like any other trunk. A salesman came screaming at him from the other end of the showroom like a crazy man telling him it would break the system. Needless to say he almost lost his job. The Certified XLR Tech explained to the dumb *** salesman it does not hurt it if you close it manually. Do any of you really think Cadillac would build a vehicle that you would not be able to close the trunk in the normal way without doing damage?

Before I bought my XLR my daughter, grandson and I was at the dealership having service on one of my cars.
They had an XLR in the showroom demonstrating it to my daughter and grandson. I had walked away, probably to get a cup of coffee and my salesman went back to his office. My grandson closed the trunk like any other trunk. A salesman came screaming at him from the other end of the showroom like a crazy man telling him it would break the system. Needless to say he almost lost his job. The Certified XLR Tech explained to the dumb *** salesman it does not hurt it if you close it manually. Do any of you really think Cadillac would build a vehicle that you would not be able to close the trunk in the normal way without doing damage?

YES, I do. Like said and explained before, REPEATED manually closing the trunk puts excessive force on the linkages and hydraulics. The normal way is pressing the button. The roof system, trunk included, is finicky and fragile enough without giving it cause to fail.

Do any of you think Cadillac would build a car that putting it into park at 20MPH would cause damage?

YES, I do. Like said and explained before, REPEATED manually closing the trunk puts excessive force on the linkages and hydraulics. The normal way is pressing the button. The roof system, trunk included, is finicky and fragile enough without giving it cause to fail.

Do any of you think Cadillac would build a car that putting it into park at 20MPH would cause damage?

I agree with Phrede, Al

What Phrede is saying is exactly what was demonstrated on a XLR by some of those who actually built them, at the 2011 National Corvette Homecoming (when XLR's were first "invited" to that event).

What Phrede is saying is exactly what was demonstrated on a XLR by some of those who actually built them, at the 2011 National Corvette Homecoming (when XLR's were first "invited" to that event).

Yep, I remember it well. I was frustrated with top troubles at that event. There were also people around from Magna Car Top Systems, who designed and built the roof/trunk mechanism.

Last edited:
I would have to go with Phrede on this one. It just makes sense not to push the envelope. Pilots push it doing a loop and every once in a while plant their faces in the ground. I'll push the yellow button. We all have our own choices. Good choice Phrede. I was also told by a tech in BG in 07 at Rendezvous II that forcing the trunk to close or open can blow the whole system. When using the trunk key in the rear bumper to open the trunk, the system is de-activated so it doesn't effect the mechanism. You have the choice First Robin.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom